So, what do owners think about their HCH's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Just me...
Default Re: So, what do owners think about their HCH's?

I've only had mine for about a month, as well. So far, I'm loving it. I'm not getting the best mileage in the world, due to a shorter commute and the terrain I drive over, but I found it to be much more comfortable than the prius (personal opinion).

I would echo the sentiment that if you decide to buy, be sure it is put into service before the end of the year, so you can claim the full tax credit.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!

I've had mine about 7 months now and couldn't be happier. My training is about complete (but not a Jedi master yet) and my average mpg is 51. I do drive slower than before the HCH, but it does make for less stress (I drive better when relaxed). To me this is the largest video game out there that actually pays you back when you win!!!

Driving shoeless still works best for me (I have a wide variety of slip on shoes) you can feel the car talk to your foot!!

As an added bonus the tax credits are paying for my new energy efficient replacement windows being installed in my house today, its like being green to be more green!!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I will proceed ahead to test drive!

Also, I see the tax credit is still available, and from the fed site it appears beyond 12.31.07 is TBD based on sales numbers I believe. Anyone have a clue where sales are at in this regard? I'd like to get a model I really want versus the very few in local inventory, so would rather not be rushed into this to secure a tax credit . . .

Thanks again!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 AM
Just me...

Sales hit the 60,000 threshold last quarter, so....
The full tax credit ($2100) on the HCH is available until the end of this year (2007). From January 1 to June 30 2008, the tax credit is cut in half ($1050). From July 1 to December 31 2008, it is again cut in half ($525). Starting January 1 2009, there will no longer be a credit on the HCH.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

rm is correct. You should be able to get a pretty fantastic deal if you can get the car by Monday.

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

You may already have bought by now, but I'll throw in my thoughts. I agree with most of the above plusses and negatives. Overall, I'm very much in love with my car. If it were totalled (God forbid!) and I had to get another car, I'd get the same thing all over again.

I have had mine for 2 months, and get 40 mpg on a stop-&-go 25 mile-each-way commute (calculated from real gas usage--the readout on the car comes out to about 36). I find it comfortable and quiet enough, and since I'm not trying to drag-race anyone, find the power quite adequate.

A few random pearls:

1) take time reading posts on this forum. I've picked up such tips as shifting into Second to force a regenerative braking as I come to a light when the engine's still cold.

2) I think a Prius might offer somewhat better gas economy on some mixes of driving. But I read up on crash testing (I subscribe to consumerreports.org and got the links to the sites) and would rather sacrifice a bit of economy for not having myself or my passengers badly injured in a crash. The Prius offers decent crash safety. The Civic Hybrid is considerably better in that regard.

3) There are some posts discussing a Wagen Tech heated seat cover. I got one and power it up for probably less than 2 minutes daily here on cold Oregon mornings, and it keeps me comfy. But even better is the fact that it adds some lumbar support that's almost as good as the seats on the Volvo that my Civic replaced.

I hate the idea of buying new cars. My Volvo was a 1988 (bought in 1997) and my wife's 1983 Volvo is still a favorite with both of us. But I have no regrets for having bought the HCH-II.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Part Time Hybrids

I'm happy as could be at my decision in the HCH II.

Despite the hills and cold it had done its work much better than anything else I considered.

I myself have given up on attempting the rigid methods of some, I just keep to limited use of A/C with air and try to stay under 2K rev's when possible. Mileage is still great considering location and the winter.

Looking at pure savings I don't think I've yet made up the cost of the HCH vs an entry level compact but then again those compacts just don't have the safety of the larger civic and down the road when hybrids and diesels are spread around I think the hybrid will have the far better resale value.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have owned my HCH since May 2007. I did have an issue with a faulty module, but once it was replaced I have had no complaints. I get around 37-45 mpg depending on weather, and speed I am driving.

Joining this forum has been great to get tips, and help on getting good mpg.

Also, I am enjoying the navigation system that I got with it. It was a great help a few weekends ago when I went to visit a friend and we both had no idea where anything was.

Keep on shopping and test drive a HCH w/ or w/o Navi and see what you like.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Energy Independence

I've had my 2006 since July 2006 and am quite happy with it. 24K miles, 46+ MPG average. My COMMUTE is pretty long (75 mile roundtrip), which greatly helps my MPG.
If you have a short commute or ALL city driving, I'd also consider the Prius. It WILL do better than the Civic Hybrid in city driving for most people.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thirteen months and 47K miles in I love the car. I'm averaging about 50 mpg on a 160 mile daily commute that is a mix of city traffic, open highway and bumper to bumper traffic. As I'm in New England, no road is straight or flat for very long and the winter weather can be chilly enough to effect fuel efficiency. I've found I can average 57 mpg or so in the May to October months, low 50's in the swing months and high 40's in the dead of winter.

I agree with the most of the comments, both pro and con, posted earlier. On the engine power, I have not had any real problems but I do leave more room than I used to when pulling out during a lane change. It really hasn't bothered me, however, as I found the car (and the drive to get the best MPG I can) has lead to changes in my driving habits that have me usually content in the right lane.

While I found I have more room in the HCH than the Prius (I'm 6'1" and have some girth), 6'4" may be testing the limits of the driver's area. I wish the seat would go back 2" more as I find my foot is tilted, leaving me to pivot my foot between gas and brake rather than moving my foot. As a result, I've worn a pretty good hole in the floor mat. As I usually drive alone, I've been tempted to see if there is a way to extend the seat rails just a bit. When doing driver rehabilitation work I had a Crown Vic with the extended seat rails and loved the extra leg room.

Good luck with your search. Again, I love the car.

Quick Reply: So, what do owners think about their HCH's?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands