Should I recharge the AC myself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Should I recharge the AC myself?

Yes, it's with the acetone in the tank. The car has hesitation but doesn't stumble. In French, we say "holes of acceleration". Thanks.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could definitely be related to the acetone. To address it, you can either elect to drive more and burn through the tank faster or top it off to reduce acetone to gas ratio.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by villemiami
In French, we say "holes of acceleration".
I like that.

Go for a long drive and burn up pretty much everything in the tank. After you refill it will hopefully run OK again. You might want to keep the route close to civilization - it is even less fun than usual when a car breaks down out in the boondocks.

Probably not a good idea to take the tank below one gallon though. Acetone attracts water and you may have anything from a few drops to a small puddle on the bottom now. On the first refill I wouldn't worry about it, but perhaps on the one after that you could consider putting in a bottle of HEET, Valvoline water remover, or one of the other similar additives. (Never had to use one myself, cannot offer an opinion on which might be best.) At that point the acetone will have been diluted twice, so any possible interaction between the acetone and the additive should be very weak.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
I like that.

Go for a long drive and burn up pretty much everything in the tank. After you refill it will hopefully run OK again. You might want to keep the route close to civilization - it is even less fun than usual when a car breaks down out in the boondocks.

Probably not a good idea to take the tank below one gallon though. Acetone attracts water and you may have anything from a few drops to a small puddle on the bottom now. On the first refill I wouldn't worry about it, but perhaps on the one after that you could consider putting in a bottle of HEET, Valvoline water remover, or one of the other similar additives. (Never had to use one myself, cannot offer an opinion on which might be best.) At that point the acetone will have been diluted twice, so any possible interaction between the acetone and the additive should be very weak.
Oh come on. Where are you getting this? Acetone does not attract water. Acetone is soluable in water.

HEET is Methanol and Xylene - both of which are soluable in water.

Acetone and HEET behave in exactly the same way with regards to water in gas. They create a 3-way miscible solution of water, gas and a polar liquid.

Putting acetone in your gas has the same net effect as putting HEET in your gas - it dissolves any water and allows it to ultimately go out the exhaust pipe.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Oh come on. Where are you getting this? Acetone does not attract water. Acetone is soluble in water.
And water is soluble in acetone. Expose acetone to air and it will get "wet" which can matter a lot for chemistry but not so much for stripping nail polish. Acetone is also often sold diluted with water. Who knows where the OP got his and what its original composition was.

HEET is Methanol and Xylene - both of which are soluble in water.

Acetone and HEET behave in exactly the same way with regards to water in gas. They create a 3-way miscible solution of water, gas and a polar liquid.
Yes, but how much water? Presumably less than for a 3 way mixture with an alcohol, which is why isopropanol and methanol are used in gas drying products.

Putting acetone in your gas has the same net effect as putting HEET in your gas - it dissolves any water and allows it to ultimately go out the exhaust pipe.
Well, it's an easy experiment but not one that I want to do. Mix equal volumes gasoline, acetone, water and shake, then let it stand and measure the volumes. Tried to find the numbers and failed, the closest was this:

https://books.google.com/books?id=qj...ixture&f=false

Since that link looks fragile, you can find it by googling for
"The condensate from the steaming-off operation consists of gasoline, water, and acetone."

Where they say:

This mixture was pumped to the separator and allowed to come to equilibrium. The top layer consisted of gasoline and acetone and the lower of acetone and water. The quantity of acetone in the gasoline depended upon the amount of water present.
Which sounds to me as if in that system the acetone was partitioning between the two other liquids.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

The biggest problem is at red light or stops. The car stalls often at that moment, but if I put in Park, it doesn't stall.
I think I will drive until there are 4 cells left and then I will refill.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

My car stopped at a street in front of my home. I put a gallon of gas inside but it still doesn't start up. I'm planning to rent a bike and go back and forth to the closest gas station and put 1 gallon each time. If you have a better idea, let me know.
Here is the acetone I put: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...AC18/100141096

Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM

According to the MSDS, it's 100% acetone.

Can you describe the behavior during start attempt?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by villemiami
My car stopped at a street in front of my home. I put a gallon of gas inside but it still doesn't start up.
CEL lit? Read the OBDII codes. If you don't have a reader there is a way to do it with blink codes. Short two of the pins and read the codes as described here (and elsewhere)
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthr...what-they-mean

Some of the dash lights blink and you can read the codes that way.

The Acetone you used is supposed to be 100%, so at most only a negligible amount of water by that route. I'm wondering now what would happen if there was already water in the tank when you added the acetone. The old book I referenced suggests that some, perhaps a lot, of the acetone might have partitioned into that phase. So if you started with a liter of water and added 4 liters of acetone there might now be three liters of acetone + water. (I'm making these numbers up as a "for example" - I have no idea what the actual volume increase would be.) Acetone in gasoline will burn more or less normally. An acetone water mix isn't going to burn at all like gasoline. I honestly think that this is a very unlikely scenario, but if that is the problem, blowing out the fuel lines might help it start.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have the reader, it showed the same P0420 code. Is it actual or is it the old code that needs to be cleared in the Torque app?
Like I said, the malfunction indicator lamp is turned off now.
After reading, I tried again to start it up and for the first time, it started for 1 second. I came back home to get my gas card and write this message. I'm going to try again to drive to the nearest gas station.

Quick Reply: Should I recharge the AC myself?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands