Shark Fin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Part Time Hybrids
Default Shark Fin?

I might have asked this before. Regardless has anyone had experience using an antenna cover for our not very attractive little black stub and shaft?

http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_How_It_Works.html

I found this site, the fin is painted to match the car, and still allows the antenna to function with a coil inside the fin. I can see from the sites gallery the fin working on both the Prius and the Insight.

But I'm worried the ugly black blob base on or car is a little fat to fit inside the fin. I've e-mailed the site to learn they have never had an order for a hybrid civic to their knowledge. The HCH is even featured under their order screen, but I'm still worried. They responded that the size of fin is roughly the same as any shark fin mold from ebay or other sellers only theirs has the advantage of color matching and functionality.

Has anyone considered a antenna cover or had an experience? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sungod18; 01-31-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Shark Fin?

That's a great idea. Especially for the HCHI. If you need to, you could just take measurements and see if it would fit. Keep us updated.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Well my internal debate skills need work. I caved in an bought one.

I'll keep an update. Total cost comes to 81.00 with shipping. It will be more outside US, they will ship internationally as well. Wait time is 6-8 business days which if it's anything like a credit card likely means 2 weeks.

They do offer the blue pearl as a paint option. I'll wait and see if it really is a match.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You think that looks better ?????, maybe not my taste....anyway, they dont have my color anyway. Be sure to let us all know what you think when installed, post pictures, let us know if it improves your mpg (sarcasiam here).....

Old 02-02-2008, 07:33 PM

I have a question: I like the antenna, because it identifies my car as a hybrid. The antenna is called the 'AM/FM Antenna-Amplifier' for the '06 w/ and w/o nav, and the 07 w/o nav. For the '07 w/ nav it's called the AM/FM/XM Antenna-AM/FM Antenna Amplifier. Does this mean that without the antenna, the HCHII (except the '07 w/ nav) would get the same reception as the regular civic, or does the regular civic have an antenna amplifier hidden? I've always been curious...

Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Part Time Hybrids

Received the box today and did the simple slap on job. Just removed the shaft to the exiting antenna then used some tape to mark off where to stick. Cleaned the area around the antenna as well just to be safe!

Verdict: Radio still works, fin looks like it came with the car. Well perhaps it's a tad larger than a civic might need but the bigger the better right

As for the tech there is no connecting wires. Just place it so the sides of the fin don't touch the antenna stub.

Some pics: (If you can't tell it's the same color, the curved shape makes it appear darker than the car in weak light)

Name:  shark1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  27.9 KB
Name:  shark2.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  28.9 KB
Name:  shark3.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  32.7 KB
Name:  shark4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  shark5.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  28.5 KB

Last edited by Sungod18; 02-27-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM

Good job, look great!!! H

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's pretty sweet. My antenna doesn't bother me, though, so it's not quite worth the $69.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:11 PM

I noticed the other day that the nav antennas have larger bases than the non-nav. For the record, was this on navi, or non-navi?
THX

Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Non-Nav civic Colby.

There is still plenty of room under the fin. The company does offer a return policy if the fin didn't fit.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands