Is service at a Honda dealer required?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast
Question Is service at a Honda dealer required?

I'm still waiting for my HCH to arrive, although the thought of returning to the dealer for routine maintenance is less than appealing. I'd prefer to take my car to a local automotice service shop or even the closet Toyota service center for routine maintenance rather than the Honda dealer I'm working with. My question is:

Does the HCH (of any year) always NEED to be taken to a Honda dealer for routine service (oil, tune-ups, etc.) in order to ensure the car is covered under warranty and so on?

I'd be interested to know what other's experiences are regarding their ability to have their hybrid serviced or analyzed at places other than a Honda dealer. Are the unique characteristics of the HCH something that requires you to pretty-much always go back to a Honda dealership where-ever you may roam?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Old 02-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is service at a Honda dealer required?

One question...whats a tune up...lol (yes I know what one is) have about 45,000 miles and yes I did take it to the dealer for oil changes at first but now I do it myself.kevin

Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 PM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Rogstar,

Personally, I wouldn't bring my HCH to any place other than a reputable honda dealer for any type of major service or oil change (although I bring my own 0W20 Mobil 1 for them to use). They will know about all software upgrades/recalls etc and will have all of the parts on hand most of the time. I'm not sure if a toyota dealer would even want to service a hch because of warranty issues. Don't think the tune up is needed for at least 100K miles.

Register on-line with hondacare to log-in all your service visits etc. and complete maint intervals. They will be accessible from any web computer.
Oil can be changed without getting under the vehicle on the 06 model. I believe that access to the drain plug is found under the hood as well as filter access but there is another oil change thread with more info on this. Just remember to always install a new crush washer on the drain plug so you don't get leaks and bring the used oil to a recycling facility (usually too much effort involved here to even remotely break even on the cost of DIY IMHO).

Ralph

Old 02-05-2006, 01:00 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Is service at a Honda dealer required?

Originally Posted by Rogstar
I'm still waiting for my HCH to arrive, although the thought of returning to the dealer for routine maintenance is less than appealing. I'd prefer to take my car to a local automotice service shop or even the closet Toyota service center for routine maintenance rather than the Honda dealer I'm working with. My question is:

Does the HCH (of any year) always NEED to be taken to a Honda dealer for routine service (oil, tune-ups, etc.) in order to ensure the car is covered under warranty and so on?

I'd be interested to know what other's experiences are regarding their ability to have their hybrid serviced or analyzed at places other than a Honda dealer. Are the unique characteristics of the HCH something that requires you to pretty-much always go back to a Honda dealership where-ever you may roam?

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
Hi;

Click this Link below: Read Post # 3; tigerhonaker

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...idea.5805.html

HTH;

Terry

Old 02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Is service at a Honda dealer required?

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
Hi Rogstar,

Personally, I wouldn't bring my HCH to any place other than a reputable honda dealer for any type of major service or oil change (although I bring my own 0W20 Mobil 1 for them to use). They will know about all software upgrades/recalls etc and will have all of the parts on hand most of the time. I'm not sure if a toyota dealer would even want to service a hch because of warranty issues. Don't think the tune up is needed for at least 100K miles.

Register on-line with hondacare to log-in all your service visits etc. and complete maint intervals. They will be accessible from any web computer.
Oil can be changed without getting under the vehicle on the 06 model. I believe that access to the drain plug is found under the hood as well as filter access but there is another oil change thread with more info on this. Just remember to always install a new crush washer on the drain plug so you don't get leaks and bring the used oil to a recycling facility (usually too much effort involved here to even remotely break even on the cost of DIY IMHO).

Ralph
Very well said , I agree 100%. I will only take My Toyota to the dealer for repairs..

I have noticed that most places look at you funny when you tell them "its a hybrid" kinda like below.

You at a repair shop:
Hi I have a check eng light on, can you check it and tell me whats wrong?
Shop guy: what kinda car is that?
you: Oh its a ____ Hybrid .

'WARNING SIGN FLASHES'

Repair shop:
Oh one of those fancy electric cars! yeah we can work on em..
(his eyes roll back into his head as the $$$ are spinning in place of his eyes)

You:
Then it hits you the guy does not know how to start the car...

Repair shop:
Hey wheres the key go?

You:
Um you know what, I just remembered I need to go to an appointment, sorry, I'll be back.. "Not"
Then you go to the dealer, and your problems fixed covered under warr or not but is repaired with genuine factory parts. ..

Old 02-06-2006, 05:19 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I got so upset about the dealer ripping me off with high priced inspections, and obscene hours required for stupid replacements (eg air filter), that I don't bring my Honda to a dealer any more.

However, with that being said, my Honda is a MT. If it were a CVT, I'd be in, at the dealer, for the required service on that, without any question.

I have heard too much about the CVT being tempermental that I would not risk that service being done anywhere else.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Personally, I think the dealer service shops are a rip-off!! I take my car to get my oil changes to other places, mostly places who specialize in Hondas or Acura's. Now an actual repair is another story in itself, especially if it is under warranty. But as far as regular maintenance items which are mostly inspect this and inspect that, if you know anything about cars, you can check most of these items yourself and just make sure you keep up to date records in your book that you did them with dates, items inspected,etc..

So, to answer your original question, the answer is No, it is not required to bring your Honda to a Honda dealer for regular maintenance.

Last edited by Mikeyt758; 02-06-2006 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
Very well said , I agree 100%. I will only take My Toyota to the dealer for repairs..

'WARNING SIGN FLASHES'

Repair shop:
Oh one of those fancy electric cars! yeah we can work on em..
(his eyes roll back into his head as the $$$ are spinning in place of his eyes)

You:
Then it hits you the guy does not know how to start the car...

Repair shop:
Hey wheres the key go?

You:
Um you know what, I just remembered I need to go to an appointment, sorry, I'll be back.. "Not"
Then you go to the dealer, and your problems fixed covered under warr or not but is repaired with genuine factory parts. ..
Which reminds me of the old aamco transmission commercial...

"Uh I always wanted t'a fix a transmisheon"....Or I guess you could always get Gomer or Goober to fix it for you down at the local fillin' station.....lol

Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would only take my car to a Honda Dealer just because of all the bad experiences I have had at other garages. The other garages go looking for problems and take things apart that they don't know how to take apart and end up breaking things.

For example, the air box latches, come off a certain way, and if you don't know that you break the cover. You only find out about it come time to change air filter.

So while it's not really required, you are only doing yourself harm by not going to one. As for cost difference, I don't see that much anyway.