Sattellite ant. through trunk of 06HCH???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:53 AM
06 HCH
Default Satellite ant. through trunk of 06HCH???

Hello All,
Just wondering if there is an easy way of snaking the antenna wire through the trunk to inside of the back of the cars back seat. Since the back seats don't fold down plus the battery pack, this seems to be a problem. I have it rigged through the door on the side of the car, but optimally it should be on the top of the car. Many thanks in advance.
-John

Last edited by jamriman; 01-09-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 AM
Default Re: Sattellite ant. through trunk of 06HCH???

Is it possible to follow the regular car antena routing?

Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Here's how I did mine (on my 03). Antenna (magnetic) is mounted on the back left roof - just above the upper left corner of the rear window. I snake the wire along the left edge of the rear window (there is a lip there I can tuck it into). From the bottom of the window I go into the trunk. I then routed my wire into the cabin through the left-rear seat-belt hole (shoulder belt). I had to take off the seat belt cover (was just a plastic lid). There was a plastic plate I had to drill a hole through, but it's nothing that anyone would ever see. Routed the wire through that hole and by the seat belt (making sure the wire would not get caught up when the seat belt was in use). I followed the back of the rear seat to the molding above the rear door. I tucked it in the molding, across the center pillar, and through the drivers side molding. Down all the way to the unit itself - I have the cradle mounted on the left (above the dash).

It's not something I'd like to do often, but it works and the wire is nicely hidden for most of the route.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

For our 03, we have an external Sirius unit (that fits perfectly in the bin between the two seats behind the tranny.) To get the antenna up and as out of the way as possible, I put the magnetic antenna on the roof of the car, at the edge just between the doors on the passenger side. The weather seal at the top of the door closes around the antenna cable without damaging the wire. Then pull allllll that excess wire into the car, bundle it with a twist-tie, and stow it in the pocket on the back of the front passenger seat, leaving just enough wire to then snake down and plug into the sirius unit.

It's not "invisible" as it would be built-in, but the cabling is mostly out of the way, and doesn't interfere with either the front seat passenger seatbelt, or with the back seat passenger getting in and out of the car.