Recall 2003-05 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recall 2003-05 HCH

Had mine done yesterday. It was pretty painless and I had them change the oil and rotate my tires while it was there.

The representative said that I "would not notice it at all", that all it was that it ran the engine a bit too lean once in a blue moon and that could cause damage.

I did notice something though. The new software is less aggressive with charge and assist. I could actually see this as a positive thing but we will see.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I too just had mine done this morning. The battery was drained but charged up with a few miles. I also had the oil changed and took them 5w-20 Mobil One like I had done last time. The service writer came up to me and asked if I had used it before, which I told him yes. He said it was the WRONG OIL!! I told hime to look in the manual as it states if you can't find 0w-20 you can use 5w-20. When I went to pay the bill they had wrote that I had used it before and I told them to use it again even thou it was the WRONG OIL. Oh well like there is a big difference between the two, maybe in Fairbanks in the winter there is. lol Kevin

Old 08-01-2005, 09:09 AM
World's First Hybrid

Just had my 05-HCH recall done along with the first oil change last week, 4200 miles. Seems like my MPG is down slightly below hypermile status which I attained on the previous tank . I'm hoping that it is just a minor glitch. It also may be caused by the new software that may need some time to adjust to my conservative driving style. Also noted was a new ding in one of my doors after the servicing which the dealer said they would repair.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:00 PM
the_13th_saint

Originally Posted by drquine
I had the recall done on my 2005 HCH today; went in at 51.3 MPG (80 miles into tank) and got it back with 48.0 mpg. The full IMA battery also showed as completely discharged when I got it back. Within a short distance it was recharging up a few bars, , within half a mile I looked down again and suddenly it was 90% charged! By the way, I've also noticed in the past that when the battery gets to 50% the car starts trying hard to recharge it (2 bars green). Even if driving uphill, there is no assist anymore unless I push hard on the gas.
I just had my update ran on my HCH and I had a full IMA battery when I went in. ^_^ When my car was ready two hours later, I discovered my IMA battery appeared to be completely depleted. My car was running but I had yet to take it out of park and it was trying to charge (2 green bars). In about 30 seconds, the IMA appeared to began to charge up rapidly (very rapidly for two green charge bars) until it appeared very near full.

What I think happened was when the IMA computer was updated, it reset the battery charge indicator and it had to calculate what the current level was in the batteries. So logically, the car goes to start up, IMA indicates zero or very little IMA battery power, car then uses the conventional starter rather than the IMA to start. The IMA is then in the process of determining the actual power levels and works its way up to where it really is while the car tries to charge for all it's worth believing the level is critically low until told otherwise by the IMA

Low or zero reported IMA battery levels would, I suspect, cause symptoms of:
Use of the conventional starter,
increased charging of the vehicle during the next 5 minutes or so,
and the 2 green charge bars shown while the car was in park or during uphill driving.

-Daniel

Old 08-03-2005, 03:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

As anyone gone through a full tank of gas yet after the update? Is the MPG gauge any more accurate? I just had the update done last Saturday and I filled up shortly after that, so I only have 100 miles on this tank of gas and I was wondering to accuracy.

Billy

Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have been through a few full tanks of gas. So far, the MPG gauge is about how it has always been: usually within 0.5 MPG, always within 1.0, usually on the 'optimistic' side.

I did have one tank where the MPG gauge was actually lower then the calculated value, which is rare for me. But I chalked it up to coincidence. Time will tell, I guess.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:55 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Funny the MPG came up. I was just going to ask this exact question. I'm at the end of my first full tank, and at 500 miles (where I usually go fill up), I have 6 bars left on the fuel gage instead of the usual 3. Seems like a rather big differenct to me.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:59 PM
World's First Hybrid

Just a follow-up to my previous message about FE after the 05-HCH recall. My mpg is back up over 52 with a little over 1/4 tank used so far on this first fill-up after the recall. Seems like the FE is better after the software update.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will expect my "norm" which is never as close as Coyote's experience.

Billy

Old 08-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Check out the "Mileage after the MDM update (recall) " thread for more MPG info after the recall. Interesting...

Quick Reply: Recall 2003-05 HCH

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands