Recall 2003-05 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Recall 2003-05 HCH

"Right now I see 49.2, 49.6, 49.9, 50.3. I was wondering if the update let us see all the MPGs?

Nope. Same as before.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zhybrid
I received a notice on my 2003 CVT HCH. It's going in next week. I called Honda (via the number on the letter) to ask more detailed questions and they could not help me at all - just referred me to my dealer.

I have over 60,000 miles on this car and have had many issues with this car. I was seeking specific information on what type of damage to the IMA batteries and catalytic converter could result. If the update protects these components, what about cars that didn't have this "software protection" over the last 20, 60, or 100 thousand miles?

I'm very interested if anyone has had any components replaced or repaired as a result of this "product update."
The update should have no effect on the IMA system at all. The only component that may be a problem is the catalytic converter, and it probably isn't going to be replaced unless your car sets an error code, indicating a problem in the exhaust pressure. Chances are your car just needs a very minor software patch to fix it from burning lean under certain more or less rare conditions that could cause problems if you somehow drove it under those circumstances all the time.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation.

I have had many error codes generated in the past year (P1440 several times, 2 others (don't have my notes with me)) and the MIL is on again - haven't had time to get those codes. The dealer has never once been able to troubleshoot the codes. They just reset it with a "let us know if it comes back" attitude. It always does sooner or later. Sorry to vent - I'm obviously frustrated about it!

If you have seen any of my other posts, you will see about a variety of problems I've had with this car, including needing a new CVT, new EGR valve, and continued jerking/surging problems on a daily basis. Maybe it will all magically go away when they dealer does this update - yeah, right!

The letter I received also specifically included a comment about "damage to the IMA battery or catalytic converter," which is why I mentioned the IMA system. I never compared my letter to the ones posted in this forum, but they must be the same...

I'll go check now!

Old 07-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Dang man! You should have got yourself a Prius! They are notorious for being reliable, even considering how different they are from a 'normal' car.

Old 07-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast

I have an CVT HCH purchased in May 2003 in Omaha. So far, no trouble with the car and no recall notice. Should I contact Honda?

Old 07-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I got my recall done yesterday, the car feels the same. What I have noticed is the mpg seems to jump around a lot more, up and down. Instead of skipping .5 mpg it will skip 1 to 1.2 mpg's in both directions. Anyone else notice this?

Old 07-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

Had mine today. Went in with 60.5 mpg. Left Honda with 59.8 mpg (darn mechanics!!) ;-) Anyways, what I noticed when I got into the car, the battery was empty. Then after driving for about 2 miles, went into a store to pick up some things. Before I got out of the car, the battery level had only 3 bars. After 20 mins or so, I got back in, started the car and saw the battery level at full. Kinda weird don't you think?

Old 07-16-2005, 05:45 PM

Whenever you disconnect the 12V battery you are supposed to let the car idle for some reason. I know everytime I unplug my 12V the IMA SoC is 0. I never bother to let it idle and after a few minutes the charge goes up and starts to function normaly.

Old 07-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks tbaleno for the info.

Old 07-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chiegonz
Had mine today. Went in with 60.5 mpg. Left Honda with 59.8 mpg (darn mechanics!!) ;-) Anyways, what I noticed when I got into the car, the battery was empty. Then after driving for about 2 miles, went into a store to pick up some things. Before I got out of the car, the battery level had only 3 bars. After 20 mins or so, I got back in, started the car and saw the battery level at full. Kinda weird don't you think?

I just had mine done two days ago and the same thing happened. I was at 48.0 mpg before it went in and got it back at 45.2 mpg. I never looked down at the IMA statis when I left the dealership and got on the highway (ramp is across to street from dealership) to head back home. I now know what happens when the car accelerates without the IMA boost as I got on the highway and tried to merge into traffic with engine only (no power). I wish they would of mentioned about the IMA battery because I was about to turn around and head back thinking something went wrong. With in a couple of miles, it was charging again. All is well now.

Quick Reply: Recall 2003-05 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands