Radio Ghost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Radio Ghost?

My 05 HCH has a odd problem. I will be driving along and the station on the stock AM/FM CD radio will change .1 stations up. The signal has not weakended, it happens on different stations. Anyone else have the problem?

Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Default Re: Radio Ghost?

Did you remove your antenna Seriously though I've only had that happen when there is a stronger station on the channel above or below the current station.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Strangely, that used to happen to me. Irregularly, at unpredictable times. This would happen something like once or twice a week.

You've just reminded that this used to happen, and it now occurs to me that it has not happened in about nine or ten months. I can't believe that it actually got better after a couple months of ownership, but I have no other explanation.

Old 12-01-2005, 08:03 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Here's a "potential" explanation. It depends on the tuning dial. Most dials have detents for every 0.1 MHz. If, when you change channels, you use the dial and don't have it stop at a detent (the dial is sitting on the "hump" between detents), hitting a bump could cause the dial to move past the "hump", down into the next detent and as such, move 0.1 MHz off channel. I had seen my Pilot do that with the Automatic Climate Control, but never the radio.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

Those are all possible, and maybe it will heal by itself. It does go from a local very strong station to static, so I don't think it is an auto tune thing. Thanks for your suggestions

Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah mine does it too, not too often however so it is not that annoying. It tends to jump off weak stations into no-station static, and to a frequency near where it was, didn't pay attention enough to know if it was exactly .1 MHZ up.

Old 12-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Not sure if you're interested, but I'll sell you my stock radio from the '05. Its been sitting on a shelf since about the 3rd day I owned the car. Man, I just can't roll with a stock radio...

Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks but it seems to be fixed. I was going to give it a week to make sure. I think it is the tunning dial as mochisushi had mentioned. I went out and spun the dial left and right for a minute, then tried to find a indent it seemed to like, and it has not happened since. Maybe the station is changed by the making and brealing of a contact for each up and down, if that contact is not really made completely it makes it jump one. It always jumped .1 up. But the Honda healed! Thanks again for the radio offer.