Questions about the half-nose bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Questions about the half-nose bra

So I've had my white HCH-II for a little under a month and already have about four chips in the hood and a few in the bumper. This isn't too surprising seeing as I commute about 160+ miles each day, mainly on the highway. I don't tailgate or draft semis or anything, but it's bound to happen.

I've only had darker cars before so now I'm cursing my white choice, since I didn't obsess over them as much with my dark green car. In any case, I'm considering purchasing the half nose bra - one of the chips is on the very front of the hood, the others are a bit further up than the half-bra would have helped with, but oh well, maybe it would have helped deflect those as well.

In any case, I have no damage whatsoever on the sides where the side "attachments" of the bra would cover.

Basically my question is if anyone is using the official Honda half-nose bra with only the part that goes in the center? From reading the installation instructions this doesn't look like it should be a problem, but can you see anything odd (straps, etc.) that would be hidden by the two side pieces?

The only reason I'm considering only doing the center is because the center looks easier to take on and off (judging by the installation instructions again) for when I wash the car every weekend.

In any case, I'd like to order it from HandAccesories along with some touch up paint (may just go to the dealer for that though, since HandA doesn't have the Taffetta White in the pen) ASAP, but wanted to get some opinions on my plan first. Thanks guys.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Questions about the half-nose bra

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...otective_Film/

You may want to consider a 3M product that is a clear finish.

You basically do not notice its even there and protects areas like the front of your hood or behind splash areas.

Relatively inexpensive and *I think* avoids some of the issues with Noses and Bras respecting moisture.

Cheers!!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

I'd also suggest getting the 3M stuff. My full bra is now sitting in a closet after just a month of use... the amount of dirt and grime getting caught in all sorts of places was insane, and it'll be like taking sandpaper to your finish on a daily basis. The half-bra probably won't be as bad, but you'll still get evening dew trapped underneath, encouraging rust formation.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

I dunno, it looks like I'm looking at $400 for the 3M (if I want to do both the hood and the front bumper) on top of the fact that if I'm going to go through all that trouble I'm going to also get someone to do a really good touch up job on the dings already there.

I also read alot of people don't like the way the thing looks waxed, what are your opinions on that?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by teiresias
I also read alot of people don't like the way the thing looks waxed, what are your opinions on that?
Why wax plastic at all?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, you'd still need to wax the rest of the car, but I'd assume the protected areas would possibly look a bit more matte than the rest of the car if you didn't wax it

Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast

I have the half nose bra for HCH I and you can use it without the sides. You need to be careful though and remove it pretty regularly (at least 1ce a week) to avoid discoloration because of teh moisture and uneven sun bleaching of the paint. I also stopped using mine because of the hassle of taking it on and off.