Question about stopping

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question about stopping

Was bothering me, too - I drive a HAH. So... I turned it off while in drive. Next time in, noticed my trip comp. on my NAVI screen was hosed - frozen. Don't know if it was just a coincedence or not, but haven't turned it off in drive since and trip computer hasn't hosed since.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

I have been shifting into neutral and turning off the ignition then shift into park.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Question about stopping

i have a civic hybrid cvt and do the same thing too when parking - auto stop, turn the key one click back, shift to park, put on the parking brake, remove the key, and take my foot off the brake

however, this only happens if i aimed right or parked correctly, which happens maybe 25% of the time. otherwise i would need to let the engine start up again and position my car correctly.

Originally Posted by billyt1963
There are folks on the board who "re-boot" the car when going down hills.
just wondering, how do you "re-boot" your car when going downhill?
do you shift to neutral, turn the key one click back, and brake? seems to me that this would negate any regeneration for brakes, since regen only engages when the ima is switched on.

Old 04-22-2005, 04:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

*Disclaimer on re-booting*
This could be a illegal practice in your state and could be dangerous.

I will use a "definition" from XCEL that was in a previous thread:

Originally Posted by xcel
Hi AZCivic:

___Shutting down the ICE and simply rebooting the car without starting it while coasting in Neutral down a slope or to a stop. When you shut down the ICE in an HCH or Insight, you turn the key back one click and forward one to reboot the car. Not start it (two clicks forward) but just reboot the computers and logic so it is ready to start and so it is recording the miles traveled at an infinite mpg.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ewreply&p=9759

Yes it would stop regen so it should be done when you are not concerned about the battery charge. There are some other pitfalls so you should probably use the search button and look for reboot and read some of the more experienced posters information on this.

Billy

Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 AM

i would assume that when "rebooting" the car down a hill, you have to bring it to a complete stop afterwards? you couldn't just take your foot off the brake and have the engine start back up on its own like after auto-stop, since you killed the engine by turning the key back one click. also, and doesn't power steering also turn off with the engine? so you would be rolling a gasoline-dead car down a hill and steering it with a leaden wheel

unless you drive a manual and force "jump-start" the engine by rolling the car in neutral downhill and doing something with the clutch? my friend who drives a manual did this once but he neglected to tell me exactly how - only that it would not work for cvt/automatic transmission cars.

Old 04-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

The salesman I bought my HCH from said that the steering system is "electric assist". There's a servo motor, as opposed to a hydraulic system, that provides the power steering.

I should also note that I've been "rebooting" frequently, and I've noticed that power braking seems to work when the ICE is off, too... as long as the key is in the 'on' position.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Rebooting-
As Billy has pointed out, this is potentially dangerous if used in poor judgement.

My HCH will roll a veeeeeeery long distance on a near-level road, in fact the last 2 miles or so to my subdivision is one of those long, gradual downhill roads which the speed limit is 35.

At about 2:00AM (Early morning) there isn't any other cars on the road and with the 35MPH speed trap limit I'll often reboot.
The brakes are used only briefly to control a hard Left turn 1/2 way through, then it's just freely rolling down the road again.

I'll never reboot down an unfamiliar road, or where there are potential dangers, never down a steep decline, times where distractions are possible (Passengers, etc) or allow the vehicle to exceed 45MPH.

Why limit to 45MPH?
Other than the fact that things can happen pretty quickly at higher speeds with a dead engine.....
Also my HCH has the CVT.
Even if you are in N and you restart the car will put a "tug" on the CVT. Over 45MPH this tug becomes a jolt....and gets progressivly worse the faster you are traveling.
I admit when my car was only a few weeks old I tried the technique on the freeway and restarted at about 60-65MPH. The jolt was so severe that the CVT screamed like a dying pig. (If you've ever heard one it's identical)
Did I damage my CVT belt? Even today I don't know. This was just poor judgement.
I understand that the MT version does not have this limitation.

There is also a danger of running out of vacuume brake assist while the engine is not running and it can suprise you when you don't expect it. Poor judgemnt or distractions can cause you to crash.

Sometimes at 1:00AM I'll reboot and roll all the way down a vacant parking lot to a 24 hr grocery store. Sometimes I've repeatedly worked the brake on the way down, and as I pull into the parking space I no longer have any brake assist left and have to press the pedal really hard to stop.
It's kind of a game I play to find the limitations of my vehicle in this situation.
(No, there isn't any other vehicles even remotely nearby to crash)

Because of the additional dangers on the daytime roads I don't reboot durring those times except in the case of a traffic jam, forced AutoStop at lights, lines etc.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-22-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

On one of the threads discussing this one person said you could re-start without stopping, but to shift back into gear you should be going at a low rate of speed (don't remember how low). As doppler said the steering and brakes do still work but they a little more stiff than normal. The only time I have done this is when waiting in line to pick my daughter up from school. I sometimes get stuck in a long line and I turn the engine off since I have to sit for a while. At one part of the line I can coast down a hill (at low speeds) and I can still steer (mostly straight so it is not hard) and the brakes work for a little while but I often resort to the parking brake.

Billy

Old 04-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can restart the engine while the CVT is in N while rolling, and it is while the shift is still in N that you get the tug. I wonder if the '05's still do this?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:02 PM

Wow, thanks Billy and Hot Georgia for all the information!

Based on what you say, i think i'll only reboot my car while waiting in lines or to force auto-stop. i'm not that comfortable with that "tug" on the cvt you describe when restarting the engine at speeds below 45, even if it produces negligible or no damage to the cvt. makes me cringe >_< to think about the transmission components being forced around.

and yes, i know that pig dying noise you speak of - somebody owns an older infiniti q45 around my area with a horrific transmission that scREECHES every time the engine starts, for 3-4 seconds continuously - it sounds just as bad as nails on chalkboard - ickk

Quick Reply: Question about stopping

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands