Question About FAS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Question About FAS

Can someone in detail explain a FAS? I tried to do one this weekend and I didn't really see an improvement. What I did was shift to neutral turn off the car, then turned it back to position 2 and coasted while still in neutral. Was that right? As a side note, it's really weird when the sudden silence hits you when the car goes off!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Question About FAS

Thats what you do. Switch engine off and leave ingnition on like car was running and coast. It helps our standard Accord alot. Hard to make up the wifes awful fe but helps. I have some .5, 1 and 1.5 mile FAS. Its great!! And coasting up hill ROCKS!!!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

So I switch back to position 3 instead of 2 after turning back on? Isn't that harmful to the car?

Old 09-19-2005, 01:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

huh? if you go back to 3... the car starts.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry I was confusing it with another car where 3 was the point before ignition, rather than the ignition point. So then it's position 2 that I coast in.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi VampHuntD:

___It sounds like you got it. Just make sure you boot up the electronics so the speedo/odometer are live but the ICE is off is all.

___Please be very careful and practice/learn the technique on a desolate road or at times when traffic is at an absolute minimum. It is not second nature to you yet and it is very important that it becomes so before you begin to use it on a whim whenever and wherever on your day to day commute.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

i recently read a post mentioning 'neutral dropping' as a possible cause of early retirement of a car. I did a search, and found that many people thinkcoasting in neutral is downright dangerous - something I don't agree with, because I do it all the time, and have just as much control over my car. I could not really tell, however, if that was the 'neutral dropping' that was supposed to cause engine damage. could i talk someone who knows about this into shedding some light on the subject?

i guess what i'm asking is if doing this FAS thing is bad for the car. i'm also curious to know if anyone knows if just dropping into neutral, and not turning it off and on again, would result in good gas milage? I am getting very used to just slipping the car intoo neutral, and (just out of a silly heebiejeebie type thing, i guess) would rather put it into neutral than turn it off. Thanks =)

Old 09-20-2005, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Dear geologyrox

Riding the clutch does cause wear on the throwout bearing and will cause problems in the long run. You don't want to coast with the clutch pushed in. Shifting the car into neutral should not cause any damage, all you are doing is disconnecting the engine from the wheels. You do this every time you come to a stop anyway so no damage should be done to your car from coasting in neutral AFAIK.

Note: This info is for a manual only. I've heard it is not a good idea to coast in N with a normal automatic.

Last edited by lakedude; 09-20-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Here is what Tom and Ray say about it:

Dear Tom and Ray:

I really enjoy your column, and have learned a lot over many years reading it. I have a 1992 Toyota Tercel with a standard transmission. I am on social security, so I'm trying to save every penny I can. I spend most of the year in rural Georgia, with a lot of hills. So at first, I was coasting down the hills in Neutral with the engine on, thinking that might save some money over the years. Now, I am turning off the engine, and then putting the car in the appropriate gear to restart it later on. I can travel two to three miles several times going to town this way. Am I ruining any mechanical parts by doing this? And is it worth the little bit I'm saving?[bluecar.gif] Roberto

Tom: Gee. You really are a world-class cheapskate, aren't you, Roberto? A man after my own heart.

Ray: Here's my calculation: This car gets about 40 miles to the gallon. So if you coast two miles with the engine off, you're saving 2/40ths of a gallon, or about a nickle.

Tom: But when the engine is off, you're in danger because you don't have any power brakes. Plus, one of these days when you shut off the engine, you're going to turn the key too far and get it into the "lock" position and lock the steering wheel.

Ray: Then you're going to plow into one of those roadside-boiled-peanut vendors, and he's going to sue you for five million dollars, which will more than wipe out the three bucks you saved by coasting.

Tom: Besides, I'm sure what you're doing is illegal. In fact, it's even illegal in most states to roll down a hill in Neutral with the engine ON! Even with the engine on, the car could stall, and you could lose your power brakes and power steering and never know it until you needed to stop or turn.

Ray: So I'd stay in fifth gear and look for a safer way to save a few pennies. You can start by writing shorter letters, Roberto. Then you can use postcards, and save 10 cents on every stamp.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

So, it's not going to hurt our HCH's to P&G.

Quick Reply: Question About FAS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands