Pulse and Glide shouldn't work vs. Cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulse and Glide shouldn't work vs. Cruise control

Interesting. I'm curious - what is your typical E/T ratio just driving back-and-forth to work?

Old 01-21-2006, 12:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xcel
___When gasoline was $1.37 in the Chicago area back in Dec. of 04 some here may have been driving 20 mpg or less automobiles. Today, gasoline is $2.39 in the same Chicago area and some are driving 45 + mpg automobiles. If gasoline rises to $3.00 +, did you gain anything in real $ terms from Dec. 04 to today other then lowering your overall fuel consumption? Some may just sit back and take it. I won’t do that and when/if gasoline rises to $4.00 per, are you? Will $5.00 cause a change? $6.00? At some point, you either suck it up begin pushing your hybrid for all its worth or throw it away at the pump.
We can get an indication of how much the price of fuel changes driving behavior from what we see in Europe. They already pay those kind of prices. Yes, they drive smaller, more economical, cars on average. But my impression is that they also drive faster and more aggressively than Americans in comparable road conditions, the cost of fuel be ****ed.

Personally, I always drive conservatively. More so with the new HCH because of all the instrumentation, and this forum, making me more FE conscious. Sometimes I get upset with myself for paying so much attention to FE, way past the point of diminishing returns. No, I don't think a doubling of fuel price will significantly change my driving style. It's more likely to cause me to plan my trips better, and avoid some trips, which has a much greater potential saving.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:59 PM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:27 PM
04 prius 350,000km

i guess from xcel's experience (and correct me if i'm wrong ur accord is an auto) his starter and 12 volt battery must have been taken a beating! I thought all this time when you start your accord, you'd use the clutch to jump start it.

Hm... maybe honda starters are meant to be used all the time?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC

Personally, I always drive conservatively. More so with the new HCH because of all the instrumentation, and this forum, making me more FE conscious. Sometimes I get upset with myself for paying so much attention to FE, way past the point of diminishing returns. No, I don't think a doubling of fuel price will significantly change my driving style. It's more likely to cause me to plan my trips better, and avoid some trips, which has a much greater potential saving.
Well said.