Potential HCH Owner - Some Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Potential HCH Owner - Some Questions?

Hey Everybody...

I've been a long time reader of this forum. It's really great. I was trying to decide between a Civic and a Civic Hybrid. Since I live in snow country (upstate NY), I would prefer ABS. For that option on the regular Civic, I have to jump to the EX. The difference in price between the EX and the HCH is not so drastic.

Recent posts are quoting prices of HCH's (w/CVT) at $18900 and $18200 including destination. Maybe I am missing something... but a look on kbb.com and edmunds.com shows invoices around $19600 (dest included).

Are you guys getting HCH's for that much under invoice? Am I missing something? Where are you guys getting these cars from?

If I can get the HCH for that price.... that would be sweet!

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Master Commander

I think what most people will find is that the price that you are going to get with your hybrid depends highly on where you are going to buy it. I live close by chicago and I think I had to pay more on the higher end when buying my HCH. I bought mine in march and paid 20,814.39 out-the-door (meaning that was the amount on the check I gave to the dealership). Whoever got 18.9k for the CVT HCH got a great deal for it, but with my experience, I couldn't even touch that price. I started looking for my HCH with a price of 19.2k OTD in mind and the dealers just laughed at me. After going to around 6 dealers, I ended back at the first dealer, which gave me my dark blue HCH for the price listed above. Just try and figure out your area by going to different dealers and getting their reactions, but I don't think you should be paying more than 21k OTD for the HCH.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Enthusiast

I only looked on-line in my area (Charlotte NC/Rock Hill SC) first. I was looking at Prius' first and the price I got quoted from one of the dealers in the area was $27k, which is about $6k over MSRP. That turned me off immediately and I didn't even test drive a Prius. I then asked for a quote from my Honda dealership in the area on-line. They gave an "on-line deal" quoting me at $18,900 for the HCH CVT. That was @ $1,000 under invoice. I printed that quote out just in case and test drove the HCH CVT that they had 1 of 3 on the lot at the time. When I told the dealer that I was quoted this price he kind of acted astonished and changed the subject as I finished my test drive. But when we were in his office and he knew I meant business and he went to his manager or whoever the price he came back with was $18,900. Now my final price was more because I did have to finance it and I did get the 100,000 mile warranty because I drive my cars to the ground @ 37,000+ miles a year. But all those extra costs are with any car I believe so by Toyota starting at $27k offended me.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

Cool. SCHybrid: Are you happy so far with you purchase? I may send a feeler e-mail to some local dealers to see if I can get something similar!

Old 05-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

I love the HCH. My commute to work today 60+ miles got me 52.9 mpg. 53.3 mpg was displayed like a mile from work but I had to accelerate up a small hill before I got to my office.... good thing there was no one around because I was trying to baby it in the parking lot before I got to the parking space to get the 53.3 back... but it ended at 52.9.

My hardest part in having the hybrid is the conflict of whether and when to drive to maximize the mpg. I used to drive 80mph to and from work. Going to work I can drive slow and still get there on time but driving home I still want to drive 80mph so I can pick up my son at daycare faster. So I can get low 40's if I drive like I used to or low 50's if I drive more fuel efficiently. And then I feel like a glutton pig for being a lead foot because I know I would get signifantly better gas mileage if I wouldn't drive so fast. But considering that I used to have a Jeep 4x4 and drove it without even giving a thought to how selfish I was being in my fast driving, I think I've come along way and my stresses over driving are rather just mental games and nothing to serious!!!

Old 05-05-2005, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys, thanks for jumping in on this thread! FWIW I've found an online dealership who sells the 7yr/100k mile warranty for around $900. The dealers on the east coast who I've talked to are willing to deal to around $18,200 + tax & tags on the HCH MT. So I'd be looking at $19,100 or so with the extended warranty. I'll probably look at it at the end of the month because the dealers seem to be more aggressive then. Any thoughts?
What are gas prices going for where everyone lives? Here they are right around $2.19/gal for 87 octane.

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Karen,
I'm also an ex-worst offender as far as efficiency goes and I commend you on your 52MPG achievement.
Sounds like you are right on track, especially in your hurry-ut situation for family.

Many people would love to get your numbers and I'm sure they will even improve over time.

Old 05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got my HCH in California.
So it has the AT-PZEV 15/150,000 warranty.
But the only thing I got in writing from the dealer was a xeroxed 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with a list of about 75 components related to the hybrid system and the emissions system.
I don't think it matters what the dealer did or did not give you.
This 15/150,000 thing is assured at the state level.
If you bought an extension, it will cover more than the emissions and hybrid stuff so don't be too pissed.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast

I was looking at this link:

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Documen...t/apl27540.pdf

Let me just make sure I understand this...if I purchase and use the AT-PZEV Civic Hybrid in NY, then I will receive a 10 yr/150,000 mile warranty for the Battery Assembly and 15 yr/150,000 mile warranty for many of the IMA parts. Does this basically cover the battery and IMA parts fully assuming a problem? Meaning if the battery fails, I would fully get reimbursed?

It would seem that it is much smarter to get a PZEV Civic to get an extra 2-7 years and 70,000 miles on the Hybrid versus a ULEV version, correct?

Old 05-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

WXHall- That is my interpretation as well. On the actual Honda Civic Hybrid FAQ webpage (http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...=Civic+Hybrid), the fifth question from the top asks:
Q: What kind of warranty does the Civic Hybrid have?
A: The Civic Hybrid comes with a 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty, just like every other Honda. Its battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty,† and all emissions-related equipment comes with a more extensive warranty. See your dealer for details.

† Limited battery pack warranty may vary. Consult your warranty booklet. AT-PZEV model differs slightly, due to emissions standards.
I interpret the varied warranty to mean 10 years/150,000 miles for the AT-PZEV battery, as shown in the warranty booklet.

Quick Reply: Potential HCH Owner - Some Questions?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands