Poor Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 02:27 PM
IMAddicted to IMA
Default Re: Poor Gas Mileage

"I will say for the people on this forum treating their cars like handicapped or crippled things"

LOL That's kind of true. But alot of people who love their car are like that.

You didn't say specifically, but it sounds like you drive in the city from your descriptions of normal driving, which is where the HCH is rated at 40mpg, instead of 45 on the highway, so that is definitely one reason. The only other reason I can think of is that the car hasn't broken in yet.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:40 PM
1 tank at a time ...

Originally Posted by arbittan
I would like to thank everyone that put in advice on the mileage. I will say for the people on this forum treating their cars like handicapped or crippled things, you really need to revaluate yourself.

[...]

I will let a few more tanks go by before I send it in to the dealer to check it out. Hondas do not provide loaner cars when you drop them off for service, so I need to calculate my cost into the rental.

If you are looking for assistance, it will come more readily if you would quit throwing around words like "extremist," "handicapped," and "crippled" and telling people who have the nerve to get better mileage than you to "reevaluate yourself." I am by no means one of the hypermilers but my goodness, why buy a hybrid if you're not interested in at least some techniques to get better mileage? Yeah, I get tired of reading about people who are getting 15 mpg better than I do but since I'm getting over twice the mileage my last small car did in the same circumstances I'm not going to complain.

And if your dealer doesn't give out loaners, perhaps you need to find a better one. Both the dealership where I got mine (several hundred miles away for a far superior price) and the one where I live offer them.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

rboerger,
I do not want assistance from members that do not offer reasonable suggestions to the issue I am inquiring about. You may have an opinion about a technique that is not considered a normal driving practice, but it is not something I would be willing to try. Tailgating / Drafting closely to another car is very dangerous and it is not worth the extra mpg.

Some people here have given very practical reasons why I might not be getting high mileage from my tank and I really appreciate that. My comment about extremists stands. If you have a view that is overly enthused and must be the right way then by definition you are an extremist.

46jimbo,
I checked my tires today, they were set to 24 front / 27 back.
I will be inflating the tires to the proper manufacture setting over the weekend which is 32psi. I don't know if the car dealer was trying to match my Mercedes ride or if they didn't check the tire pressure during the pre-inspection delivery. When I fill up over the weekend I am sure I will see improvements.

Thanks

Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 PM
1 tank at a time ...

Your definition of extremist is apparently anyone who doesn't subscribe to your particular viewpoint. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar and if you want to treat people who tried to help you this way, then you deserve a 35 mpg hybrid. Go back and read any of my comments and say with a straight face that any were "extreme".

Good bye.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Energy Independence

arbittan,
Why don't you tell us about your normal drive, rather than flaming those that you are seeking help from? You ARE seeking help, right?

Tire pressure being too low (and 24 is TOO LOW) does hurt MPG. We'll be curious to see if that ALONE makes a big difference for you.

Merely guessing here, about your drive and how you drive, so don't be offended , but here goes:

I suspect you have a rather short, city-drive. When I go out (on a cold engine) on a short city drive, I have gotten as little as 26MPG. That same trip back (on a warmed-up engine) delivers 40+MPG. It's entirely possible you are driving much of your drive with a cold engine, which gets terrible MPG. I probably average 38-40 in strictly city situations. I do not work excessively at getting great MPG, but I don't ignore it by any means. Do you outrun the yellow light, or stop and wait (engine off, maybe!) for the next green? That acceleration to get though the light could be costing you - and more than it would've in your previous car, because now you might be able to spend that stopped time with the engine off. There are many variables like this that make direct comparisons between your HCH2 and previous cars difficult.

Your car is new, right? It also probably will get a little better MPG as the car (and you) break in.

There are some very simple techniques that will help your MPG. Read Tarabell's article. Some of them may seem extreme to you (as well as to me). If so, don't try 'em. Fair enough? You may learn something. I did.

My first TRIP (several hundred miles home from the dealership!) netted me 43MPG (I think). That was on a TRIP! Now, I can get 50+ on my 37 mile commute to work every day. And well over 50MPG on a true trip. Let me just say - "It wasn't the CAR."

Not sure if you do this, but driving fast (like over 70 all the time) is very bad for MPG. Some cars it's worse than others (aerodynamics and other factors), but it is uniformly bad for MPG. It's physics. Slowing down form 70+ to 60 will make a big difference.

There are ways to drive this (any vehicle, really) the same speed and get different MPG, depending on how much pressure you put on the gas pedal. Getting up to speed, then feathering the pedal. Just enough to maintain your speed. That works well for MPG.

Also, are you SURE you got EPA CITY MPG or better with other vehicles, and yet cannot achieve same with this HCH2? I ask, because many, many people *think* because the sticker said xx MPG, that that's what they were getting - without really checking it. Even if you were checking it with the other vehicle, and got EPA CITY MPG, that's no guarantee that you *should* get EPA CITY with another vehicle (hybrid or not). Vehicles are different and have different "sweet-spots" for MPG. The HCH2 seems to love 48-55 MPH.

We're not ALL extremists. But many of us care (at least a little, some a lot) about getting better MPG, using less fuel, funding less terrorists. Count me in that group!

Good luck and keep us posted. Many here are willing to help (or even commiserate with you, if need be!).

Old 10-19-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by gumby
arbittan,
Why don't you tell us about your normal drive, rather than flaming those that you are seeking help from? You ARE seeking help, right?

Tire pressure being too low (and 24 is TOO LOW) does hurt MPG. We'll be curious to see if that ALONE makes a big difference for you.

I agree that 24 psi is very low for the car. Like I said in my post, either the dealer was trying to compensate for my old car ride or they just didn't check the pressure prior to delivery.

Merely guessing here, about your drive and how you drive, so don't be offended , but here goes:

I suspect you have a rather short, city-drive. When I go out (on a cold engine) on a short city drive, I have gotten as little as 26MPG. That same trip back (on a warmed-up engine) delivers 40+MPG. It's entirely possible you are driving much of your drive with a cold engine, which gets terrible MPG. I probably average 38-40 in strictly city situations. I do not work excessively at getting great MPG, but I don't ignore it by any means. Do you outrun the yellow light, or stop and wait (engine off, maybe!) for the next green? That acceleration to get though the light could be costing you - and more than it would've in your previous car, because now you might be able to spend that stopped time with the engine off. There are many variables like this that make direct comparisons between your HCH2 and previous cars difficult.

I drive about 15 miles one way to work. Coming back home is either 15 or 20 miles depending if I stop off before heading home. The engine is cold in both cases since I usually bring lunch to work with me or ride with someone else. I usually drive the speed limit and may go over it by 10mph. (people behind me hate that). When the light turns green I am not the one leading the pack of cars, merely the one in third or fourth When a light turns from green to yellow, it will depend on how close I am to the light (we have red light cameras here so running lights isn't my cup of tea. I will usually coast to the red light until it is necessary for me to apply the brakes.

Your car is new, right? It also probably will get a little better MPG as the car (and you) break in.

My car is new. It is only three weeks old now.

There are some very simple techniques that will help your MPG. Read Tarabell's article. Some of them may seem extreme to you (as well as to me). If so, don't try 'em. Fair enough? You may learn something. I did.

My first TRIP (several hundred miles home from the dealership!) netted me 43MPG (I think). That was on a TRIP! Now, I can get 50+ on my 37 mile commute to work every day. And well over 50MPG on a true trip. Let me just say - "It wasn't the CAR."

My best tank of gas was also from the first dealer fill up. But my dealer has its own tank located onsite.

Not sure if you do this, but driving fast (like over 70 all the time) is very bad for MPG. Some cars it's worse than others (aerodynamics and other factors), but it is uniformly bad for MPG. It's physics. Slowing down form 70+ to 60 will make a big difference.

Unless I am on the highway, my car will be closer to 65/70 on the highway. My 1994 Civic felt stronger at higher speeds then the newer 2007 does.

There are ways to drive this (any vehicle, really) the same speed and get different MPG, depending on how much pressure you put on the gas pedal. Getting up to speed, then feathering the pedal. Just enough to maintain your speed. That works well for MPG.

Also, are you SURE you got EPA CITY MPG or better with other vehicles, and yet cannot achieve same with this HCH2? I ask, because many, many people *think* because the sticker said xx MPG, that that's what they were getting - without really checking it. Even if you were checking it with the other vehicle, and got EPA CITY MPG, that's no guarantee that you *should* get EPA CITY with another vehicle (hybrid or not). Vehicles are different and have different "sweet-spots" for MPG. The HCH2 seems to love 48-55 MPH.

I keep a mileage log for my vehicles. My best tank on my SUV was over 26mpg hwy going to and coming back to NY. I only used one tank of gas on it.

We're not ALL extremists. But many of us care (at least a little, some a lot) about getting better MPG, using less fuel, funding less terrorists. Count me in that group!

I have seen not all people on forum sites are extremists. At the same time, some views that are deemed radical or such do not appease me. There are many people advice I have taken on this site, such as yours to help me figure out where the problem exists. I will find out this weekend if the tire inflation helped. If not, I will be making an appointment to the dealer to look at the car.

Good luck and keep us posted. Many here are willing to help (or even commiserate with you, if need be!).
Thank you for your advice.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by arbittan
41/51 posted on the sticker has nothing to do with coasting. Some people here have also used their AC and still getting over 40mpg. I am not asking alot from this car, the tax break is good but I would be getting the same mileage from a normal Civic with normal tires.
No, that is not a proper apples to apples comparison. A normal, modern Civic with auto transmission (25/36) would net you even lower mileage. The mileage you are witnessing, as low as it is, is relative to the official ratings for the vehicle. You just can't make direct comparisons between anecdotal mileage of one car to the official ratings of another.

At the beginning of this thread you said you had a 1994 Civic and that you were getting up to about 40 MPG in it. Civics from the 90s are closer to engine size and power to the HCH-II than the current ones, but the Hybrid is heavier nonetheless. What was the official rating of your 1994 Civic? Was your mileage with the old Civic derived from the exact same driving conditions as your new Civic Hybrid? I suspect that those earlier results came from much more highway driving, but I don't know what you know. Just checking if your expectations are reasonable.

It sounds like my commute to work is close to yours in distance, and I usually stick to city roads, though I staunchly adhere to speed limits. Most of my trip is on arterial roads with some long stretches between traffic lights and I get up to 31 or 37 MPH with moderate-to-low acceleration (not a speed demon but I don't make myself a nuisance either). Flat roads account for about 50% of the trip, under which I can cruise and feather the accelerator while there is a trickle of regeneration going on. I live and work in Toronto, which currently is seeing temperatures in the 50s and 60s with extra humidity, and my auto climate control is set to around 73 degrees. If this was the only driving I did, I would expect to see around 39 MPG at this time. Does any of this parallel your conditions?

It could be that your dealership did a poor job during PDI and something's not quite right. You already know about your underinflated tires. Could they have given you the incorrect engine oil? Did you swap the oil after delivery (you shouldn't)? Engine break-in may be something, but I don't give it credence; My first two vehicles have been as efficient on their first day as they were after the supposed break-in period.

The more you tell us, the better we might be able to help.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by spinner
No, that is not a proper apples to apples comparison. A normal, modern Civic with auto transmission (25/36) would net you even lower mileage. The mileage you are witnessing, as low as it is, is relative to the official ratings for the vehicle. You just can't make direct comparisons between anecdotal mileage of one car to the official ratings of another.

At the beginning of this thread you said you had a 1994 Civic and that you were getting up to about 40 MPG in it. Civics from the 90s are closer to engine size and power to the HCH-II than the current ones, but the Hybrid is heavier nonetheless. What was the official rating of your 1994 Civic? Was your mileage with the old Civic derived from the exact same driving conditions as your new Civic Hybrid? I suspect that those earlier results came from much more highway driving, but I don't know what you know. Just checking if your expectations are reasonable.

My 1994 Civic DX Coupe is stated at: Manual: 34 mpg / 40 mpg from Edmunds.com

I was getting the mileage or better from what is stated. It was a really awesome car. If I didn't have a truck total it for me, I would still be using it. Honestly, my family has a 1997 and 1998 model Civic and I didn't like the interior in those years. Even the previous model Civic the interior was questionable. Honda in my opinion made the bast work in the 1993-95 series.

It sounds like my commute to work is close to yours in distance, and I usually stick to city roads, though I staunchly adhere to speed limits. Most of my trip is on arterial roads with some long stretches between traffic lights and I get up to 31 or 37 miles per hour with moderate-to-low acceleration (not a speed demon but I don't make myself a nuisance either). Flat roads account for about 50% of the trip, under which I can cruise and feather the accelerator while there is a trickle of regeneration going on. I live and work in Toronto, which currently is seeing temperatures in the 50s and 60s with extra humidity, and my auto climate control is set to around 73 degrees. If this was the only driving I did, I would expect to see around 39 MPG at this time. Does any of this parallel your conditions?

Road conditions here are not too bad. It is not completely flat. I have a lot od curves and hills but not too many hills.

It could be that your dealership did a poor job during PDI and something's not quite right. You already know about your underinflated tires. Could they have given you the incorrect engine oil? Did you swap the oil after delivery (you shouldn't)? Engine break-in may be something, but I don't give it credence; My first two vehicles have been as efficient on their first day as they were after the supposed break-in period.

The dealer was an okay dealer. They were the best to deal with though. I had another car with negetive equity and two other Honda dealerships were not readily eager to sell me a Civic. They wanted to sell me an Accord, which is a nice car, but I didn't want another Accord. I wanted a smaller commuter car. The dealer is a no thrills dealer, no loaner program, no first oil change for free, no dedicated service advisor. I would consider this dealer the Walmart of Honda dealerships. But then, I haven't been to a Honda dealership since the 90's. All of my cars have been premium model cars.

The more you tell us, the better we might be able to help.
I think the tire pressure will solve my problem.

Thanks, I will post back when I fill up again. My goal would be to not fill up my car for two weeks.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Arbittan

I have owned a 2007 HCH for 5 months now. I purchased my back in May 2007. When I first started out, I was driving as normal and not getting the high MPG's. I was going 75+ miles per hour with blaring A/C.

After 2 weeks of owning the car, I got an IMA warning light, Check Engine light, and Check Battery Light (see other post about this condition, it is the 3 warning lights of DOOM). Anyways, checking on this forum, I learned that a defective module(s) needing to be replaced. The guys here had similar problems and thanks to them I told the dealship what was wrong. So I had to take my car in to get this fixed (and by the way my dealship did loan me a Honda Accord for free and paid for all my gas).

I found this forum very interesting and while reading things on this fourm, I learn to slow down a bit and now drive 60-65 miles per hour on the highway to work (which is a 40 mile commute), coast when and where I can in the city, accelerate slowly from a stop, and inflated my tires to 36 psi. I do not draft or anything crazy like that and drive with the A/C now at 78 deg F (which my car pool complains about).

Since changing my habits, I can get an overall 48-50 MPG which I am completlely satisfied with. When I do drive my old ways though at 75+miles per hour, I still get 39-41 MPG.

Tomorrow though, I am getting my first oil change and tires rotated. So I will see if I can still maintain my MPG. I will ask though after the rotation to check the tire pressure and fill to 38 psi.

For me this forum and the people on it have been great. I do not consider them to be extremists. Just a bit vocal on how they get their MPG. In my opinion as well, I feel that if everyone hybrid/non-hybrid drivers changed their driving habits things would be better for everyone.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jjvera00
Arbittan
When I do drive my old ways though at 75+miles per hour, I still get 39-41 MPG.
I don't understand how you can get 39-41 mpg when you drive the same distance to work as I do. I drive 43 miles on the freeway and average between 70-75mph and still get anywhere from 48-51mpg. I keep my tires at 32 psi. During the summer I drive with the AC on and still get 45 mpg. Maybe I am just lucky.

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands