Please Help with Ima and battery lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Please Help with Ima and battery lights

I made the huge mistake of leaving a the dome light on in my 2006 civic hybrid. It drained the battery so I had to jumpstart it. I know a lot of things can go wrong with the car if you jumpstart it. I called Honda and they said everything would be fine. I jumpstarted it and at first it wouldn't start. Second try it started on the gas engine. The Ima and battery lights are now on and the battery is not being charged. I can't move it because when I put it in drive it feels like it's going to die. And the drive light on the dash is blinking. What's wrong. This car is so delicate. It's kinda annoying. I've had it for a week.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Please Help with Ima and battery lights

The drive light blinking usually indicates a transmission problem (I've seen that twice on my car--which is currently in the shop getting a new tranny put in). The first time it was just because a rotational sensor was out of whack and it was fine after the dealer reset something. I think you should bring it to a dealership and have them check things out.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The 12 volt battery is pretty small, and easily depleted by a light left on. You may be able to restore it with a charger, or the dealership might. Either way, something has to be done: a near-death 12 volt battery will need attention. It ticks me off: it is very easy to leave a light or two on and kill the 12 volt. There are no built-in safeguards.

I keep one CTEK 3300 charger in the trunk now:

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx

It's good for maintenance re-charging, and could save your bacon on vacation somewhere. It claims to be an "intelligent" charger, fwiw. It's a fairly light amperage though. In my experience with near-dead battery, it took 2~3 overnight sessions to fully recharge with a 6 amp auto charger.

For higher capacity, you might consider a traditional metal box 6 amp charger. Get one that automatically reduces the charge as it nears recharged state.

Also FWIW, I did a pre-emptive replacement of our 12 volt battery, about 6 months back. It had been through 2 or 3 close calls, and I just figured it best to replace it. IMO it's best to look on the 12 volt as a consumable: if it's done you 4~5 years, count your blessings and replace it.

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 05-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mauricio187
I made the huge mistake of leaving a the dome light on in my 2006 civic hybrid. It drained the battery so I had to jumpstart it. I know a lot of things can go wrong with the car if you jumpstart it. I called Honda and they said everything would be fine. I jumpstarted it and at first it wouldn't start. Second try it started on the gas engine. The Ima and battery lights are now on and the battery is not being charged. I can't move it because when I put it in drive it feels like it's going to die. And the drive light on the dash is blinking. What's wrong. This car is so delicate. It's kinda annoying. I've had it for a week.
I think it is advisable if you just go to Honda for that matter. I'm pretty sure they can do something about that problem. Maybe you let them handle that to avoid another conflict.