PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

I've got a problem... I bought a 6 in 1 PCMCIA reader and inserted my 256 MB SD card. The combination works just fine on my laptop... but when I install it into the card slot, nothing happens. When I close the display and push the PC Card button, nothing happens. Any ideas????

Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 PM

An update to my situation... I tried it with an old Smart Media card and it DOES play. I have three SD cards, and no luck with any of them. I have two 1GB generic cards and one 256MB sandisk card. The PCMCIA 6-in-1 reader is also sandisk.

Just to experiment, I reformatted one of the three in FAT32 format (vs. the usual FAT format). Still no luck.

Again, all of these cards are fine in their respective pocket pc and camera devices. They all work and read just fine in the 6-in-1 PCMCIA reader when it is inserted in my laptop.

Why won't these cards work in my Honda? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Make sure the card inside the PCMCIA card is seated in correctly. Do the same for the PCMCIA card in the stereo slot. It's the first time, so go gentle but be firm...haha!

Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
An update to my situation... I tried it with an old Smart Media card and it DOES play. I have three SD cards, and no luck with any of them. I have two 1GB generic cards and one 256MB sandisk card. The PCMCIA 6-in-1 reader is also sandisk.

Just to experiment, I reformatted one of the three in FAT32 format (vs. the usual FAT format). Still no luck.

Again, all of these cards are fine in their respective pocket pc and camera devices. They all work and read just fine in the 6-in-1 PCMCIA reader when it is inserted in my laptop.

Why won't these cards work in my Honda? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I think the Owner's Manual mentions Compact Flash explicitly. So maybe they mean what they say. I've experimented with a CF card with no trouble.

Old 04-09-2006, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

Yep, Elan C is right. I went through this same thing. I mistakenly bought a SD card at first. To my dismay, it would not play. I've sense returned it and purchased a 4 GB Compact Flash card and it has worked flawlessly. My only complaint is the "Random" feature. It always plays the same tracks in the same order. Kind of a pain in the ***...

Old 04-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The SD card in mione works great! The only other thing that I can guess besides the card formatting is the way the files are installed on the card. Put all of your songs and folders in one main folder titled "AUDIO". Other than that I don't know why you guys are having a problem.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not a memory card expert, but if it works for you, then enjoy the music! I love my 2 Gig PNY SD card and I didn't do anything special--I just loaded it up with songs!

Corrected above from SanDisk to PNY. Click for picture.

Last edited by HyMinded; 04-12-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Error of fact
Old 04-11-2006, 09:57 PM

Question for HyMinded and Adam... which card reader are you using? I've got the SanDisk 6-in-1 reader... still no joy with any of five different SD cards! My son has an XD card... I'll give that a try... but for now, I can only get the old 128mb Smart Media card to read so far.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast

When mistakenly bought the 2 Gig SD card I tried using a Sandisk 6 in 1 reader as well. As I mentioned earlier, I had no luck with it. I'm now currently using a 4 Gig Compact Flash and using a Sandisk Compact Flash Card reader only, and its been working flawlessly. I have each album seperated into a different folder, so the heiarchy is pretty extensive, and even with that being said, it works like a champ...

Old 04-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Question for HyMinded and Adam... which card reader are you using? I've got the SanDisk 6-in-1 reader... still no joy with any of five different SD cards! My son has an XD card... I'll give that a try... but for now, I can only get the old 128mb Smart Media card to read so far.
I use the SanDisk 6-in-1 pictured here. I did have to give it a firm push to make contact, but aside from that, I'm happy to report no problems. It didn't really matter to me--I didn't have alot of extra memory cards of any type and I needed to buy one in the 2 Gig size. It all hinged on price. It was just a matter of which one dropped to a price point that worked for me. I do happen to have everything in one master folder, then by artist, then by album name...but I don't know if that makes a diff or not.

Last edited by HyMinded; 04-12-2006 at 08:01 AM.

Quick Reply: PCMCIA memory card reader possibilities

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands