Paint & Fabric Protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Paint & Fabric Protection

But --- what does it DO to the human body to cause so much consternation by environmentalists? I mean, considering all the junk we eat, drink, and smoke, what's it really mean?

Don

Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint & Fabric Protection

EPA has classified PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) or C-8 as a "possible" carcinogen. It doesn't breakdown and tends to bioaccumlate in peoples bodies. It has been shown to cause, liver damage and birth defects. For you and I John Q Public, it doesn't matter much. But for people linving the in shadow of the factory or working in the factory...that is another matter.

But this is all off topic...I can't wait for my shiny new car

DKeane
Senior Scientist
XDD

Old 12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated. I've had mine(Mag Pearl, no navi) for about a month, now and am thrilled to death with it. Smooth, quiet, comfortable, and way fewer stops at the gas station!

Old 12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dkeane
The compound in question is used the manufacture of Teflon...it is not actually present in the final product. Generally, the EPA is uspset over worker exposure and impacts to groundwater.

DKeane
Senior Scientist
XDD

Pick up my HCHII on Jan 2nd
Wait until the next issue of Chemosphere comes out

http://authors.elsevier.com/JournalD...62&Precis=DESC

Old 12-16-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I was wondering about the Claybar. Do you think I still need that given that my car is brand new? I don't have bugs, tar, or any of the other things the Claybar is supposed to remove.
Nasa and everyone else at Green Hybrid.
I don't know if this was already answered, I have been a little behind reading the posts so I figure I go ahead anyway. I have lots of experience with detailing. Claybar is great to use on all finishes! If your car is brand new and you plan to wax it right away, you do not need to use the claybar. It is actually best to not use the clay bar until after a first wax.....unless you wait to wax the vehicle for a long time. I do not suggest waiting to wax the car. Wax puts an added protection against the vurnerable clear coat. Claybaring before an inital wax can harm the paint/clean coat. Don't drop the clay on the ground and use it adain. If you do anything that was on the ground will be picked up and will scratch the paint. Also, keep the paint wet when claybaring with either a soapy solution or a detailing spray like Meguires or that comes with a clay bar kit. I have used Zanio an I didn't really like it. Too expensive, good shine but it does not last. I'll give a quick run down of how I clean and wax a pre-waxed vehicle, (after the first coat of wax).
1. Wash with Dish detergent. Only use dish detergent before waxing to "strip" off the old wax. Any other wash use a good car wash with wax.
2. Claybar
3. Cleaner wax: I have had great results with Zymol cleaner wax.
4. Polishing Compound/ scratch remover. 3M microfinishing coumpound
works the best yet.
5. Paste wax. I use Meguires Gold Glass Wax. I shine very good, it is not the best but last a long time. It also goes on very smoothly and cleans up in a snap.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:54 PM

I would strongly suggest using the claybar on a new unwaxed surface. There the fineset thing since sliced bread. New cars will have raildust/transportantion dust and all sorts of micro impuritys on and in the clearcoat. Wash the car very good and then clay it out. You think the cars clean and theres no crud on or in the clearcoat. Clay it out and then look at the bar. I always break a bar into thrids then if I drop one throw it away and move on. After claying give it a good rinse to remove any lingering soapy water one used for lub. Dry it off. Look for swirls and other marks and then polish the car followed by a waxing of choice. Atleast two coats of wax. A well kept car is something to behold. Clean and detail under the hood. its easy and looks great. Also makes it easy for future cleanings if youve spent 30 mins dressing hose's. After you have established a good soild base for your clean car its easy to keep it clean. Last week we had some snow here. They went nuts with the salt and the car looked hopeless. Took it to the car wash with a bottle of booster wax, Mquiriars plastic and rubber cleaner and cond. afew micro fiber towels and 30 mins later it was all cleaned up and looked like I had just did a full detail on it. I pays to lay a good fondation.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by psyshack
I would strongly suggest using the claybar on a new unwaxed surface. There the fineset thing since sliced bread. New cars will have raildust/transportantion dust and all sorts of micro impuritys on and in the clearcoat. Wash the car very good and then clay it out. You think the cars clean and theres no crud on or in the clearcoat. Clay it out and then look at the bar. I always break a bar into thrids then if I drop one throw it away and move on. After claying give it a good rinse to remove any lingering soapy water one used for lub. Dry it off. Look for swirls and other marks and then polish the car followed by a waxing of choice. Atleast two coats of wax. A well kept car is something to behold. Clean and detail under the hood. its easy and looks great. Also makes it easy for future cleanings if youve spent 30 mins dressing hose's. After you have established a good soild base for your clean car its easy to keep it clean. Last week we had some snow here. They went nuts with the salt and the car looked hopeless. Took it to the car wash with a bottle of booster wax, Mquiriars plastic and rubber cleaner and cond. afew micro fiber towels and 30 mins later it was all cleaned up and looked like I had just did a full detail on it. I pays to lay a good fondation.
Just so you know, I hate to beat a dead horse. However, a claybar is a mild abrasive. If used too hard or too often or a vehicle the claybar will take way the finish/clear coat. If used before the first coat of wax, you risk eating away the new clear coat. Normally when you claybar a pre-waxed vehicle you are just taking away the contamintes left on the car and the layer of wax previously put on. Clear coat today is already so thin, why make it thinner? To fight rail dust or transportation dust which is on a new vehicle use a bug and tar remover or mild soap along with light hand buffing. Takes it off every time. Also, you should have this promblem with a Honda because every vehicle comes with plastic covering over the major areas of the vehicle to help combat this problem. The deliver removes this covering before delivery to the customer. The choice is yours what you like to do. I figure that I would put the information out there from the experience that I have.

Old 12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

So any suggestions on the best products for engine detailing? interior detailing? rims/tires/any other parts of the car?
the clay bar sounds great, but if it is 100+ degrees out, I think I will opt to pay a reputable shop to do such a thing, then just keep on top of it afterwards.
I think I would still use scotchguard, it is easier if things do not soak into the fabric and clean it up rather than user a carpet cleaner or similar product. Is the spray they try to sell you at shoe stores pretty much the exact same product?
This has been an informative thread, very useful. In fact this whole community is a wonderful source of information. Thank you all!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Car care and protection can be like discussing religion. I've been using Zaino now for a few years and I am hugely impressed with the value of having a solid foundation for wax / polish. The prep phase is huge and makes ongoing upkeep a lot easier.

Zaino's clay bar or Clay Magic (I actually liked more) when used properly are supposed to be safe and non-abrasive. I agree that I'd hate to do anything to erode that clear coat.

Here's an excerpt from one of Sal Zaino's pages (I don't work for the guy, but I do like his products--everyone will have their own opinion here)...

Z-18 ClayBar™ is a pliable, synthetic bar that quickly and safely removes imbedded contamination from all glass and painted surfaces. Used for years by automobile manufacturers and auto body shops, paint cleaning clay is an excellent choice for removing contamination that cannot be removed using conventional cleaning methods.

Z-18 ClayBar™ is non-abrasive and works like no cleaner, compound or chemical can. When used as directed, it is safe for use on all paint finishes.

Lansing

Old 12-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lansing
Car care and protection can be like discussing religion. I've been using Zaino now for a few years and I am hugely impressed with the value of having a solid foundation for wax / polish. The prep phase is huge and makes ongoing upkeep a lot easier.
Lansing
Amen Brother! I've been to the temple Zaino website, read, applied and became converted. HALLELUJAH!

Quick Reply: Paint & Fabric Protection

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands