Oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Oil changes

I was surfing around for different types of sythetic oils and found that Castrol Syntek 5w-20 looks better than mobil-1 5w-20 spec wise, lower friction maybe would translate into better FE. Any thoughts?

Old 08-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
I was advised to refrain from performing the first oil change until around 7500 miles. Apparently the vehicle is delivered with some sort of breakin oil. I waited until 7500 and changed it with Mobil 1 0w20, and have been using it ever since. (currently showing 67,000 miles) The car runs great and have been getting around 48 mpg. Since Mobil doesn't make 0w20 any more I'm reluctant to use anything else. I've contacted Pennzoil about their so-called "hybrid" oil, but nothing back yet. I really don't want to break down and buy the overpriced Honda oil.

Has anyone used or found Pennzoil Platinum 0w20?

Howard
The manual states you can use 5w-20.I've used it the last 2 changes and I'seen no difference in my mileage.Kevin

Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIHCH
They do ....check it out here
Pennzoil Platinum™ 0W-20 for Hybrid Vehicles.

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/mot.../platinum.html
Finally got a hold of our friends at Pennzoil. The manufacturer (Shell, located in Texas) refered me to my local distributor who orders for the retail stores. Shell says they make it, but the distributors say they haven't gotten the OK from Shell to even order any!!! The distributor was quite shocked that Pennzoil is even advertising it on their website.
Sounds kinda wacky to me.

Howard

Old 08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

I was searching the web for alternatives to 0w-20 when I came across this site...

http://www.synlube.com/

I though I'd throw this on the board to see what you good people make of it. I know, I know....looks to good to be true (used and trusted by NASA). Just wondering if anyone here has heard of this company or used their products in the past. I for one wouldn't mind getting 15 years/150,000 miles out of my oil (good for the environment as well). Be sure to take a look at the Q & A's..

http://www.synlube.com/faq.htm

..chuck full of information.

Update: I sent this company an email inquiring about compatibility of their product and the HCH. I'll post it when I get a response from them.

Last edited by RIHCH; 08-24-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thought I would add Amsoil's synthetic 5w20 to Wayne's table of viscosity indexes (sorted by viscosity). It looks like a better candidate than Penzoil to use while we wait for the new 0w20 from Mobil. Notice it is closer to M1 0w-20 than Penzoil's 0w-20, sometimes you gotta love marketing. I wonder what Amsoil would call 0w20?

Kinematic Viscosity

Mobil1 SAE 0W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 43.0
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.4

Amsoil SAE 5w-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 45.4
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.5

Pennzoil SAE 0W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 46.5
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.7

Mobil1 SAE 5W-20
cSt @ 40 degrees C = 48.3
cSt @ 100 degrees C = 8.8

Old 09-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Recommended Intervals

Sorry to be repetetive, but I am unclear as to when I should change my oil. I have a 2005 HCH with 2000 miles on it. Different people say different things, and my dealer recommended oil change at 5K.

Is there break-in oil?

I don't mind doing every 3K and I think the manual specifies 7.5K.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you,
Lansing

Old 09-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Recommended Intervals

Originally Posted by Lansing
Sorry to be repetetive, but I am unclear as to when I should change my oil. I have a 2005 HCH with 2000 miles on it. Different people say different things, and my dealer recommended oil change at 5K.

Is there break-in oil?

I don't mind doing every 3K and I think the manual specifies 7.5K.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you,
Lansing
If you're going strictly by the HCH owner's manual, its 5,000 mile oil change intervals for severe driving and 10,000 for normal driving. Decide which one fits your driving conditions/style and follow the corresponding schedule. Of course, there are varying opinions, but to simplify things, I recommend following what Honda says in the manual, which says . . .

Normal
The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if they occasionally drive in severe conditions.

Severe
Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:

Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather)Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F)Extensive idling or stop-and-go drivingTrailer towing, car-top carrier, or mountain drivingMuddy, dusty, or de-iced roads

Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you wait past 10,000 miles, the maintenance light on the dash will start blinking. Pretty annoying unless you just keep resetting it.

Howard

Old 09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good replies. I drive in a lot of stop and go here in So Cal, so maybe I go the safe route and change every 5K...

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 09-20-2005, 05:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lars-ss
It's a little bit thicker than 0W-20, but the heat here in Phoenix keeps it plenty thinned out !!
Which Honda dealer in the valley do you use? I bought from Arrowhead, but am not opposed to using another dealer for service if they're more reliable.

Quick Reply: Oil changes

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands