Oil Change...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Oil Change...

When I bought the car, the guy told me to come for the complementary oil change at 5k miles or if the car is telling me.

They put also the usual oilchange reminder sticker in the left corner and there is stated 5k. Ok now...

I'm half to 5k and the oil is at 80% according to the car. Even if this wont be a linear decrease, I doubt that it will drop to 10% or so in the next 2.5k

Now comes the puzzle. I understand this 1st oil is very important for the engine... and I should wear it as much as reccomended....

And now comes the question: WHICH IS THE REAL RECCOMANDATION? Car's Oil percentage or the sticker miles?

confused...

Old 02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: Oil Change...

Hi;

Here's is the real {Honest-Answer}: Look in your owners manual and it will Spell it out for you and the time frame for all your services, Recommend by {Honda} the Manufacture that made your HCH II.

Or you can do what the dealer tells you to do.

Now, think about it? Who do you really want to put your trust in?

HTH:

Terry

BTW; I work for a Dealer, do you think I know Who you should Trust?

Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Change...

Tiger... your honest answer doesent helped at all. but thanx indeed...

Honda programmed the computer in my HCH2... that computer is telling me 80% after 2.5k miles... That computer is supposed to know precisely what's the oil life, based on engine data... right?

Owners manual doesent give you any mile number/tresholds for oil changes take a look (hint: page 179)

Old 02-08-2006, 08:09 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Oil Change...

Originally Posted by masgian
Tiger... your honest answer doesent helped at all. but thanx indeed...

Honda programmed the computer in my HCH2... that computer is telling me 80% after 2.5k miles... That computer is supposed to know precisely what's the oil life, based on engine data... right?

Owners manual doesent give you any mile number/tresholds for oil changes take a look (hint: page 179)
masgian;

Okay I am not done with this then. I would not take the Break-In-Oil out of my New HCH II at 5,000 Miles.

If your Computer says you have 80% Oil Life left it most certainly to me would be a Total Waste of your Money to Change the Oil Now.

I Still Do-Not have my HCH II yet so I don't have the Operators Book/Manual to look at. Sorry

I can tell you this, I do have a New Mercedes and I can Assure you that I Do-Not Change the Oil until the Computer tells me it's time for Service to be Performed.

This is not to be Bragging, but I am Quite sure the Mercedes is a little more Expensive than the HCH II, Since I own Both. Point, here is I trust the Computer to do It's Job.

Trust me on this, Honda did not put that computer on the car just for the heck of it. So don't waste your Money and Change the Oil Prematurely like dealers Recommend. They are there to Make Money.

I guess I am a little Shocked that Honda has done away with the Service Schedules Pages in their Manuals. I guess the Computer is doing that for them now.

Regards;

Terry

BTW; It does not Hurt to change the Oil Sooner, But why Waste Your Money.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Energy Independence

Just trying to clarify, here.

I think what you are getting at is this:
Should you change the oil put in the car at the factory (which I've read somewhere here is a special break-in oil) at 5,000 miles?
Or would it be better to leave it in (because it would be better to have this used break-in oil than the regular oil while still breaking in the car) until the car's computer says to change it ?

Right?

IF it's a special break-in oil, then this is certainly an interesting question.

IF it's just regular oil, then changing it sooner can't hurt, and would probably be better, especially during break-in. IF it's just regular oil, and since it's a complimentary first oil-change, I'd change it at 5K.

Did the dealer tell you "5K or when the car says so, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST?" If so, I'd dig more to find out if he's right. They are often mistaken (right, Tiger? ). If the "whichever comes first" was not uttered, then we need some help here, although you've probably had a pretty good amount of break-in anyway, at 5K.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast

Bottom line: Do NOT change your oil before the first 5K miles of your new HCH (it even states this in the manual). After that, change your oil every 4-6K miles. Personally, I would just ignore that "Oil %" gauge...those things are made for grandmas that can't remember if they took their 6 pills for the day.

The only real question when it comes to changing your oil in your HCH is whether is it better to put Mobile1 Synthetic 5W-20 or just regular Honda 0W-20 in it. They used to make Mobile1 Synthetic 0W-20 (I used it in my 04 HCH), but they discontinued it about a year ago. Anyone know the answer to that question?

Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

The HCH '04 manual says 10k, under normal conditions, for the first oil change. The dealer emphasized that it should not be taken out until 10k miles.

There is some Mobil 0w-20 around, try your local NAPA store. In NJ, they had a large stockpile. I have enough oil to last me to 120k.

My last oil change, at 50k, was the first time the synthetic oil came out of my car. I still had the dino oil from the 40k oil change and compared the two. From a non-scientific, strictly observation -- the synthetic oil looked almost new. The dino oil looked "used" but certainly not as bad as I remember the oil coming out of my F150.

The bottom line decision on this matter is you, and your comfort, with the type of driving that you do and your confidence in the oil that is in the car. Without knowing what criteria the guage uses to determine oil life, I would be skeptical of it. Especially if I don't know if it is a linear or an exponential function.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

The manual states that the oil gauge percentage will decrease based on the engine revolutions. So, it may be very accurate actually. I cant know if its a linear on exponential function there by observing just a little part of the graph. Will see. I wont change the oil at 5k, unless its getting the gauge at 15% (as the manual say) Yes, there will be a 15% there... then it's time to plan an oil change.

Now... my next question is to get my own 0w20 and go with it at the dealer or just let them put their oil? I will ask them if they use the 0w20 but they could be ignorant and say.. "sure... of course its 0w20", then use the 15w40 they use on any civic....

I'm not a freak, I'm just wondering what path to approach in order to make things right...

Old 02-09-2006, 04:06 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Oil Change...

Originally Posted by masgian
The manual states that the oil gauge percentage will decrease based on the engine revolutions. So, it may be very accurate actually. I cant know if its a linear on exponential function there by observing just a little part of the graph. Will see. I wont change the oil at 5k, unless its getting the gauge at 15% (as the manual say) Yes, there will be a 15% there... then it's time to plan an oil change.

Now... my next question is to get my own 0w20 and go with it at the dealer or just let them put their oil? I will ask them if they use the 0w20 but they could be ignorant and say.. "sure... of course its 0w20", then use the 15w40 they use on any civic....

I'm not a freak, I'm just wondering what path to approach in order to make things right...
masgian;

I hope this will Help you out on your Question. The Dealers invoice will Read-Out Exactly what Oil was put in your HCH II.

I am reading the Invoice from the dealer on my oil change for my 2005 Limited Edition Honda Civic and it reads like this:

Supplies:
4.2 5W20 Honda @ 1.660/ Unit Total $6.97

So when you are ready for that oil to be changed, Believe me the Dealer has the Correct Oil for your Hybrid.

The dealer is not going to do something Stupid like put the wrong weigh oil in your Hybrid. They know what oil goes in it and they carry it in stock. Remember they are the Dealer that services Honda Vehicles, so if anyone is going to carry the correct oil for your Hybrid, Who do you really think it will, {BE}?

Regards;

Terry

Old 02-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

terry, you are right... in an ideal world. but day by day examples proofs you wrong... it's not the dealer policy i'm woried... it's the ignorance of the guy who actually does the procedure.

Quick Reply: Oil Change...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands