Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Me me me!! I got a manual trany! I got it because I love driving, not 'driving'. If you want one, you're obviously stuck with 2005 or older.

As for gas mileage, I get upper 30s in cool weather (30-50F, wet....Seattle...) and mid to upper 40s in warmer weather (mid 60s). My time is more valuable than my gas dollars, so I drive at least 20 over the limit...pretty much everywhere. Acceleration, well...I suppose I'm 50/50 for being slow and fast.

I've found the 90ish hp to be perfectly fine for me. I have no qualms about merging onto a freeway. It is just me in the car 99% of the time, in terms of weight considerations (and I'm a light guy). Granted, I will never be able to tow anything with this car.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I drive like a normal car for the most part, doing very subtle things to improve economy without hypermiling. My lifetime is 44.x MPG and that's 99% highway miles (I commute 160 miles a day averaging between 65 and 75 mph). Since I have the summer off the last tank is my only true all-city tank and I got 39 MPG with no conservation efforts at all.

As for power, I find it to have completely sufficient power for regular driving and for gunning it when needed. I can get up to freeway speed on a short on-ramp with no problems at all. If I want I can beat people off the crosswalk at a stoplight. Don't get hung up on the stats, this is a small lightweight car and it has PLENTY of horespower for its mass.

Last edited by zimbop; 07-28-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by realist
I've found the 90ish hp to be perfectly fine for me. I have no qualms about merging onto a freeway. It is just me in the car 99% of the time, in terms of weight considerations (and I'm a light guy). Granted, I will never be able to tow anything with this car.
That sounds exactly like what I will be doing, thanks for the example! I will be the only one in the car most of the time, other than the SCU (spousal carbon unit). As for towing, she really wants a pickup, so that will probably be our other vehicle.

I have found a few used manual tranny models, but not many. I too like the feel of driving a stick shift. Now...if I can just locate a shoreline mist colored 05 with a five speed...!

Old 07-29-2006, 12:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
I drive like a normal car for the most part, doing very subtle things to improve economy without hypermiling. My lifetime is 44.x MPG and that's 99% highway miles (I commute 160 miles a day averaging between 65 and 75 mph). Since I have the summer off the last tank is my only true all-city tank and I got 39 MPG with no conservation efforts at all.

As for power, I find it to have completely sufficient power for regular driving and for gunning it when needed. I can get up to freeway speed on a short on-ramp with no problems at all. If I want I can beat people off the crosswalk at a stoplight. Don't get hung up on the stats, this is a small lightweight car and it has PLENTY of horespower for its mass.
Thanks, great example. I will have a shorter commute (around 30 miles one way) but it will be similar in the respect that I will hit the interstate for the last 2/3 of the way...

Gunning it when needed....that's what I was hoping to hear. I don't drive like a maniac, but I am sure we can all remember a moment when we needed to move our vehicle NOW. The little Bimmer I am driving over here now just gets louder when you floor it. Nothing else really happens...engine gets loud, rpms start to rise, fuel consumption gauge pegs, but the thing doesn't change speed!! Of course it will cruise on the autobahn at 150K, so it is not all bad.

Besides, my other vehicle is a helicopter...I get all the performance I need right there

Lyn

Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopprJock
Thanks, great example. I will have a shorter commute (around 30 miles one way) but it will be similar in the respect that I will hit the interstate for the last 2/3 of the way...

Gunning it when needed....that's what I was hoping to hear. I don't drive like a maniac, but I am sure we can all remember a moment when we needed to move our vehicle NOW. The little Bimmer I am driving over here now just gets louder when you floor it. Nothing else really happens...engine gets loud, rpms start to rise, fuel consumption gauge pegs, but the thing doesn't change speed!! Of course it will cruise on the autobahn at 150K, so it is not all bad.

Besides, my other vehicle is a helicopter...I get all the performance I need right there

Lyn
Well some of the advantage comes from the CVT because, when you ask for sudden power, it adjusts the torque ratio faster than a regular automatic can downshift. It's still a fine car when you pull out into traffic and have to floor it or whatever. It's no race car but it has a plenty safe acceleration when you need it.

Old 07-29-2006, 03:37 AM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

...First things first: I am in the US Army and I am currently in Germany, so a test drive or two is not an option for me. I have fairly normal driving habits (currently in a 98 BMW with a four banger, I think a 1.4L or so, and it is a small but heavyish station wagon). Before leaving the states I owned a 2000 Civic LX...great little car....
They sell the hybrid in Germany now, so you should be able to test drive it over there. BMW hasn't made 1.4 L cars for many years, the smallest is 1.6 L. It had around 105-110 hp, so it's similar to the Civic. The BMW is a little heavier, but not much.

I find the Civic surprisingly quick in speeds up to 100 km/h. You don't feel and hear it, but acceleration is fair and there is no problem to keep up with traffic in urban or suburban areas.

Of course it will be a bit sluggish in speeds above 100 km/h, but it is enough for highway driving - where you don't really need power to overtake. The only challenge is on smaller, national roads where some planning is required to overtake safely. I find myself doing less of overtaking on those roads.

Old 07-29-2006, 05:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

3. We spend 99 and 44/100s of our driving time inside our vehicles. How satisfied are you with the interior fit and finish of these cars? Has anyone owned (or have some experience with) both a HCHI and a HCHII? Any thoughts?Lyn
I've just gotta know what you're up to in the 56/100ths you spend driving outside your vehicle?

Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

How about that digital speedometer in the '06 models? Looks a bit weird in pictures...any glare at night?
The digital speedometer is really cool- I love it. However, I do notice a little bit of glare on dark roads at night. I suppose it could bother some more than others, but I am ok with it.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rgx
They sell the hybrid in Germany now, so you should be able to test drive it over there. BMW hasn't made 1.4 L cars for many years, the smallest is 1.6 L. It had around 105-110 hp, so it's similar to the Civic. The BMW is a little heavier, but not much.

I find the Civic surprisingly quick in speeds up to 100 km/h. You don't feel and hear it, but acceleration is fair and there is no problem to keep up with traffic in urban or suburban areas.

Of course it will be a bit sluggish in speeds above 100 km/h, but it is enough for highway driving - where you don't really need power to overtake. The only challenge is on smaller, national roads where some planning is required to overtake safely. I find myself doing less of overtaking on those roads.

I did not know that they sold the hybrid over here...that's a great idea.

I need to go check my little hoopty bimmer to see what engine it has, to be honest it is not much of a factor over here...we military types just show up and need a car immediately so we end up buying one from someone who is leaving.

I did not expect much out of a civic above about 100K but that is 62 mph, so it is sufficient for most needs. Prior planning is a necessity over here ALL the time while overtaking so I don't expect that to be a problem.

Good observations, thanks for the reply!

Old 07-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by worthywads
I've just gotta know what you're up to in the 56/100ths you spend driving outside your vehicle?
Ha! I think I will leave those stories safely tucked away in the annals of my misspent youth!!

Quick Reply: Non hypermilers...MPG? Newbie here....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands