No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Witch
Default Re: No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Originally Posted by shawnb
I thought I made myself clear. Perhaps you should have included the next sentance with the quote. It's the principle of the matter that bothers me, not the price. If the dealer wants to yank my chain then they'll quickly find that the chain easily breaks.

In my book, having money is not synonymous with rolling over and taking it because just because a few extra hundred (or in this case, $1k about) is chump change. If the dealer lies to me and try's to employ tactics (after they put one price in writing for which I exchanged a deposit) in order to get more money from me, then they don't deserve my business.

It is because people are in such a feeding frenzy to get this car before the carpool stickers run out that this is happening in the first place and people tend to throw all caution on the window. Similar to the $899k 2 bedroom 1,100 SQ FT house across the street from me, don't understand why people pay that much for things. People allow dealers to do this to them, and so they do.

One day you'll realize the same thing I did a while back: you don't get rich or accumulate wealth by spending it every chance you get or by spending it frivilously; and certainly not by allowing others to take advantage of you, fincially.

Thanks,
Shawn
One day I will realize? As I said before, I got the car I wanted for the price I wanted. I also got them to pony up $3200 more for my trade than they wanted to. My principles tell me not to role over and walk away over $600 to $1000. They tell me to stay in the ring and keep fighting. It took 9 full days of negotiating but I got what I wanted.

The fact of the matter is that even if you did spend an extra $600 (principle aside), the savings in gas alone would repay that in a couple of months and then keep on saving.

I am not going to get into a debate with you over how to accumulate wealth or over who has the biggest e-wallet. The fact of the matter is that you are not going to get an HCH II. We have all been made aware of that.

Once upon a time, I was about to buy a Lotus Elise. The deal fell through. Same situation as you are going through but add a zero to the figure you are upset over. My principles told me 2 things.

1. Don't bend over for the car.
2. Don't go back to the Lotus Elise forum I had started taking part in to cry about not getting the car I want to those who love them.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tylers65
One day I will realize? As I said before, I got the car I wanted for the price I wanted. I also got them to pony up $3200 more for my trade than they wanted to. My principles tell me not to role over and walk away over $600 to $1000. They tell me to stay in the ring and keep fighting. It took 9 full days of negotiating but I got what I wanted.

The fact of the matter is that even if you did spend an extra $600 (principle aside), the savings in gas alone would repay that in a couple of months and then keep on saving.

I am not going to get into a debate with you over how to accumulate wealth or over who has the biggest e-wallet. The fact of the matter is that you are not going to get an HCH II. We have all been made aware of that.

Once upon a time, I was about to buy a Lotus Elise. The deal fell through. Same situation as you are going through but add a zero to the figure you are upset over. My principles told me 2 things.

1. Don't bend over for the car.
2. Don't go back to the Lotus Elise forum I had started taking part in to cry about not getting the car I want to those who love them.
Thanks for sharing and thanks for plugging your own business as well. Your principles appear quite clear.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Witch

Plugging my business??? How is it a business when everything I do is for free so someone else can make money.

If my signature offends, I can remove it. I simply am promoting something I like enough to volunteer my time for.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:16 AM
Witch

There, all better, now we can play nice again.

PS. If you want your sig to work...

Copy the entire text and insert it in between these 2 tags

[IMG] insert text here [/IMG]

Old 05-19-2006, 05:17 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by rysa4
That being said, the MSRP on these cars DID go up. The non-navis went up 300 dollars for cars made after March 15th 2006. ( delivered about April 16th 2006 or so). I have no clue about the Navis. The increase does not include taxes on the final amount, which also goes up too based on the increasing total.
I wondered about this. I noticed on Honda's website that the listed MSRP was higher than I remembered paying back in November. I didn't know manuf. could change MSRP mid-year? I've been dissapointed with the smoke and mirrors that both Honda and Toyota have used with people waiting to purchase Priuses and Civic Hybrids.

When there is a little extra demand for something, dealers loose their minds. I have had good experiences however. Sounds like many of the issues are in California where demand is much higher.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Supply and demand.
Capitalism at its best.

Don't take it personally.
The world is as ugly or as beautiful as you make it out to be.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
I wondered about this. I noticed on Honda's website that the listed MSRP was higher than I remembered paying back in November. I didn't know manuf. could change MSRP mid-year? I've been dissapointed with the smoke and mirrors that both Honda and Toyota have used with people waiting to purchase Priuses and Civic Hybrids.

When there is a little extra demand for something, dealers loose their minds. I have had good experiences however. Sounds like many of the issues are in California where demand is much higher.
Well I suppose I can drive into the nearby Honda place and look at a current sticker myself. However, the Honda website is 300 dollars higher than the sticker on my car ( base price real sticker) and the website went up 300 to get there. I was told 3/16/2006 manufacturer date was the changeover. So mine was 21850 base price and the new ones are supposedly stickered at 300 higher. With the destination this is like going from 22,400 to 22 700 I suppose. Which is exactly, from the posts here, what happened. Check me on this.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

This is just a run of the mill dealer rip off on a hot car; pretty typical. The only variation is the written "deal" which dealers can always weasel on.
I would wait til things calm down a bit, and them go out of state. When does this "lane sticker" deal end? After that, and the driving season, the HCH will drop in price even in CA. Luck,Charlie
PS Dealers being what they are, it is always better to not show too much interest. If you front them $$, then it gives them the impression you are desperate.They smell blood(more money). There are a fair number of straight dealers, but there are plenty of chiselers also. Wait this one out-you can always get a great price on a Tacoma. They will have incentives soon.

Old 05-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rysa4
Well I suppose I can drive into the nearby Honda place and look at a current sticker myself. However, the Honda website is 300 dollars higher than the sticker on my car ( base price real sticker) and the website went up 300 to get there. I was told 3/16/2006 manufacturer date was the changeover. So mine was 21850 base price and the new ones are supposedly stickered at 300 higher. With the destination this is like going from 22,400 to 22 700 I suppose. Which is exactly, from the posts here, what happened. Check me on this.
I came late to the party so I can't say what it was in the past, but when I started looking in early April it was listed at $23,650 for Navi and $22,150 without. (plus destination, license, tax, etc.) That was the MSRP I paid ($23,650 with Navi) on April 28, here in California. Almost all the dealers in the SF Bay area were adding $2000-$3000 mark up. I simple put my request out through the internet to "internet sales" people at dealerships within 75 miles with the note that I was ONLY interested if there was no mark-up.

I got a couple of calls with dealers that obviously can't read or decided that they could convince me to pay a mark-up. It didn't work. After about a week I got a call from a dealer that said they had just received their allocation notice and that for a $300 deposit I could have the Galaxy Gray that was being built on June 10 and would arrive around the first week of July with no mark-up. Verifying that the paperwork stated that it was fully refundable if I changed my mind for any reason, I forked over $300.

2 Days later another dealer called me and told me that they had a Galaxy Gray on the lot and that they would sell it to me at MSRP. I went there, made the deal and drove home in my new HCH2006. I called the first dealer who had my deposit and he said "Congrats!" and refuded my money with a smile.

So...sometimes it does work out even in crazy California.

DAn

Old 05-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
I would wait til things calm down a bit, and them go out of state. When does this "lane sticker" deal end? After that, and the driving season, the HCH will drop in price even in CA. Luck,Charlie
Making such predictions is as good as making predictions about the stock market, in other words, not very good at all.

Apart from the HOV stickers which will probably run out in August, there is the price of gasoline and the tax credit. Will gas prices go up or down? That will affect demand for the HCH. The tax credit for the Prius may be cut in half by October 1, which will leave the HCH with a higher credit than the Prius. That may cause demand for the HCH to increase.

Quick Reply: No Civic Hybrid for me, after all

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands