New owner (soon) of UK '06 Civic - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner (soon) of UK '06 Civic - some questions

And we scream here in the US at $2.97 per US Gallon. ;P

At 50% the price of Europe.. I still think we are ahead of the curve in price. Though of course the average US consumer is so insanely in debt to the credit companies (average citizen has some $10,000 US in credit card debt) that any price spike is severely felt in the rank and file.

I'm just glad i'm one of the rare few with zero revolving debt. Home mortgage of course, but that just is not the same.

If anything ... the price spikes over here will eventually lead to one major change. Fuel conservation. Up to this point it was common to see people commuting in V12 large cab pickup trucks.. usually driving 60-80 mile round trip commutes daily. Assuming they got 10mpg, they are burning 6-8 gallons minimum per day. At $3 per gallon, that adds up quick. $18-$24 US per day or $360 to $480 per month.

With my current HCH2 fuel usage (aver). I'm burning 1.33 gal, or $3.99 per day. And my commute is 64 miles round trip. Or 48mpg average. I'm being conservative with that number. Today I got 59 mpg on the way to work over 32 a distance miles. I'm spending maybe $80 in gas per month to get back and forth to work.

I may have some rounding/fudging or such in the numbers there. But its more for a general comparison.

My brother-in-law infrequently commutes in his V12 pickup... though he is lucky and lives a couple miles from his work. Instead he uses a custom built kit/roadster/sports car. It gets better mileage than the truck.. but still rather low.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New owner (soon) of UK '06 Civic - some questions

Well UK consumers are seriously in debt as well. Like you, though, I'm lucky. I'm actually hoping to pay my mortgage off within five years (before age 45) so can't complain.

In theory since our prices are largely tax induced the government could cushion the blow of rising oil prices by dropping the tax. I don't think they'd do it unless there was a really, really sharp price hike.

It does mean, however, that typical price rises don't hit us quite as much. The tax is such a high %ge that oil price changs don't have such a major effect.