New Canadian HCH II owner- first tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Hybrid-Hugger
Talking New Canadian HCH II owner- first tank

Well, the dealer said to break in my new Civic for the first 500km's. So I think to myself- why not go visit the parents in the mountains (3 hours each way). So the next day- I packed up my wife and little girl and headed to the mountains on the dealer's tank of gas (thanks T&T Honda!). I wasn't expecting much since I have read about the break-in period to gain optimum mileage. But, even though this number is low to most of you- this sure the heck blows away what I was getting in our 01 Pontiac Aztek (ironic, eh? and that is no my wifes vehicle).
If this is the worst case scenario (+40mpg or 5.8l/100km), then I am tickled "green"
And man, I just love the color of this thing (got the Sparkle grey pearl- I think it is the same as the US Magnetic Pearl).
So far, I am very pleased about this car (and still can't get over the auto stop at every light- I just laughed (or maybe should have cried) at the other trucks and SUV's around me blowing out exhaust).
This is definatley making me think more about the environment (and now I think all vehicles should be hybrids just to cut down on polution).
Anyways, I am rambling!
JavaJ from Calgary

Old 08-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: New Canadian HCH II owner- first tank

Originally Posted by JavaJ
So far, I am very pleased about this car (and still can't get over the auto stop at every light- I just laughed (or maybe should have cried) at the other trucks and SUV's around me blowing out exhaust).
This is definatley making me think more about the environment (and now I think all vehicles should be hybrids just to cut down on polution).
Anyways, I am rambling!
Hi JavaJ;

Congrats on your new vehicle - it appears you're having quite a bit of fun driving it. I have been enjoying mine for a couple of months in Winnipeg and its been a riot.

It is nice to hear that in Canada, people a warming up to hybrid ownership instead of leaving it all to the utilities and Taxi companies.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Enthusiast

Congrats on the hybrid!!! I just finished my first tank over the weekend and averaged 43.2 mpg

Just did my morning commute and averaged 50.7 mpg on that so I am pretty stoked but it is funny how much I've already changed my driving style to get the most mpg that I can.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just make sure you guys don't use the displayed amount as we HCH owners have found the display is normally off by at least 2mpg. So you maybe getting better mileage than you think.