Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

Are there any other dealers in your area? It doesn't seem like this dealer is helping much.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:18 PM
iSteve
Default Re: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replac

The dealer is relatively helpful.
Its Honda australia that arent.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Colby, Great job compiling this info; it's an invaluable service (something that Honda could learn from).

Here's another forum where these issues have been kicked around and around and...http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...7v@.f0f75f0/50

I find it very disappointing that Honda did not try and contact those with known tire wear issues and for whom they replaced tires repeatedly and gave bogus excuses (like me; others weren't so lucky and some reportedly have had accidents). I called American Honda in late January with my complaint and no mention was made of the new TSB and I didn't hear back from them. I called my dealer last week (after nice leads like your post) and they suggested that I call American Honda to see if they would cover the control arm replacement. I called AH and they said that the repair would be covered but that the dealer needs to contact the DPSM for prior approval. I then called the dealer back (Ontario Honda of Canandaigua, NY) and they agreed to contact the DPSM. Today, the dealer agreed to fix and align it free of charge.

Note that my 2006 HCH has 47K and is out of warranty; they call it "goodwill consideration". Forced, hidden, or obtuse goodwill is not good; Honda should pursue this problem more actively. Reporting this problem (unusual and rapid rear tire wear/bad handling/noise) to NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm is important.

Since Honda will not take direct responsibility for this safety issue but rather leads their customers astray with bogus and infuriating explanations of crappy tires, driving habits, rotation issues, etc., it is important that we collectively force their hand. I thought Honda's reputation for reliability, safety, and customer satisfaction would not put their customers and their families at risk but obviously I was naive. An active recall or at least widespread customer notification to replace the rear upper control arms would save a lot of aggravation, accidents, money, and perhaps lives.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:50 PM

Thanks Jim. And thanks for posting a link to this thread on the other site.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
iSteve

Honda Australia have refused my Warranty Claim
My Wheel alignment on the rear camber is Left -1.55' Right -2.10'

The specification is -.45' (Target -1.39') +1.05'

They are not interested in the TSB as its for other countrys,

Visually you can see a difference between the wheels, and also when looking at 2006 -2007 models compared to 2008 models

What do I do my rear tyres are shagged!

Old 04-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

just to be a little defensive because i work for honda...

the tsb was not available in january for this problem...

if you get 25k miles out of a set of civic tires your in the right neighborhood

the more severe the tire wear it is directly related to how well you maintain your car... ie rotations proper inflation and what not.

honda is very good at stepping up to the plate to take care of customers when things like this develope. just imagine you owned a chevy and had the same problem... you would get told to pound sand and move on.

im sorry to hear about some of the issues you guys are dealing with but at the dealer i am at we do a considerable amount of "goodwill" work.
the reason being that we have a good reputation with honda. some of you may not know how it works but we have a budget for goodwill repairs. if we go above that it comes out of dealer profit. and we are here to run a business much like many of yourselves. we also have to consider our repair dollar amount per vin #. if we are in the top 50 dealers for dollar per vin for more than 3 months we get an auto audit. which means if we are on the audit list we cant goodwill things as much as normal. lots of stuff goes on behind the scenes boys and girls.

imagine you own a company that sells batteries. your battery company claims that said battery should last 18 hours or more. now you have 70 percent of your customers come back and say that it only lasted 16 hours. ok well battery company "a" pays you for 300 returns per month. now you have 600 returns for batteries that lasted 16-17 hours. roughly 85? percent of the expected life. if you return more than the alloted 300 you have to eat it. what would you think if that was your business that you owned?...dont flame me for imperfections im just trying to make a point albeit apples to oranges.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure if there is any correlation or not, but my dealer replaced the control arms. I had purchased the extended warranty when I bought the car.

Do the folks that didn't get the extended coverage get their car fixed?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by hybridblues
Colby, Great job compiling this info; it's an invaluable service (something that Honda could learn from).

Here's another forum where these issues have been kicked around and around and...http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...7v@.f0f75f0/50

I find it very disappointing that Honda did not try and contact those with known tire wear issues and for whom they replaced tires repeatedly and gave bogus excuses (like me; others weren't so lucky and some reportedly have had accidents). I called American Honda in late January with my complaint and no mention was made of the new TSB and I didn't hear back from them. I called my dealer last week (after nice leads like your post) and they suggested that I call American Honda to see if they would cover the control arm replacement. I called AH and they said that the repair would be covered but that the dealer needs to contact the DPSM for prior approval. I then called the dealer back (Ontario Honda of Canandaigua, NY) and they agreed to contact the DPSM. Today, the dealer agreed to fix and align it free of charge.

Note that my 2006 HCH has 47K and is out of warranty; they call it "goodwill consideration". Forced, hidden, or obtuse goodwill is not good; Honda should pursue this problem more actively. Reporting this problem (unusual and rapid rear tire wear/bad handling/noise) to NHTSA: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm is important.

Since Honda will not take direct responsibility for this safety issue but rather leads their customers astray with bogus and infuriating explanations of crappy tires, driving habits, rotation issues, etc., it is important that we collectively force their hand. I thought Honda's reputation for reliability, safety, and customer satisfaction would not put their customers and their families at risk but obviously I was naive. An active recall or at least widespread customer notification to replace the rear upper control arms would save a lot of aggravation, accidents, money, and perhaps lives.
You got 47k on the orig tires and you are complaining?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Enthusiast

Any chance our 2006 HCH's have the correct camber arms..asked service tech at dealership today about tsb and they said our camber arms were correct, and the tsb didn't apply to our vehicle. They only looked at one of our HCH's. I thought, from looking at the bulletin that all 06's had the wrong arms. I am really getting disgusted with Honda quality.

Any suggestions for getting this problem resolved before I buy yet another set of tires for these cars?

I don't really have time to run all over the world trying to get the problem resolved as the nearest dealership is over 1hr away.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Great Mileage and Green

I don't believe the upper control arm issue affects all 2007s at least. I have had mine checked, both at the dealership that I trust and at an outside Honda shop, and neither found any issues. My tires are the original set, now with 18,500 miles on them and no uneven wear issues.

Quick Reply: Negative Camber Problem; What You Need To Do To Get The Upper Control Arms Replaced

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands