Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Here are two pictures of the rear control arm with the "C" (for "Corrected"?)

--Peterg

Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the pictures Peterg (BTW, I had to use the links that showed up in my e-mail notification for your post, they don't show up just on the board, they need to be cached for some reason)... I checked my 2008 HCH and I don't see the "C" on the rear upper control arms. In addition, the sticker on my driver's side door jam says that the car was produced during 11/07. I guess I have the following questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. Is the sticker inside the door jam accurate for the production date?

2. Does anyone have a 2008 HCH that does have the "C" markings on the rear upper control arms? If so, what does your production date sticker say?

3. Is it possible that a 2008 doesn't have the "C" markings, but still has the correct arms?

4. The TSB 08-001 says to perform a four-wheel alignment with the a rear camber of "- 0 degrees 45' +/- 45'." If a 2008 is outside of those specifications, wouldn't it be logical that the TSB still applies?

I spoke with my dealer and they're sticking to the TSB saying that it only covers 2006-2007 models. However, they did setup an alignment appointment for me at my request. We'll see what the results of the alignment shows. In addition, I also called Honda Customer Service to find out if they could tell me whether my specific car was affected, and of course they also stuck by the TSB text and referred me to my dealer. I guess that's what I expected, but I was hoping for better service than that (i.e. "we'll investigate your car's production date and lack of "C" and let you know if it is affected").

I only have 200 miles on there right now, so of course I'd rather get the new arms now, if I need them, rather than 20,000 miles down the road when I'm liable for some of the tire replacement costs.

- Lawrence

Last edited by larryka; 03-06-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

When I open this site, the pictures are right there. Is that your experience?

I guess the 2008 model year is not the same thing as the 2008 calendar year.
The TSB is for all Civic 4 doors 2006 and 2007. I would argue those are dates, not models.
If your car has a clear marking that it was produced in 2007, then the service bulletin should apply, shouldn't it?

Since these are not wear items, and there is no adjustment, the rear camber is fixed. That is why Honda had to change the actual length of the control arm. Only those marked with the C are the new ones, so far.

The cost of making this car run right (cost of arms) is so minimal the arguments by the dealers are full hardy. Still, each dealer is independently owned.

Call around and find a dealer who wants your business.

--Peterg

Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

Don't forget to have the Honda tech check the actual part number on the back of the arm.
They now have different listings for the old and the new, as I posted.

Another point to this--tires that wear out too soon are an environmental waste as well.

Another point--the right camber adjustment should add to MPG.

Just as important, then, is compiling a list of Dealers who work with customers, and those who do not. The open market should reward those giving superior service.

--Peterg

Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peterg
When I open this site, the pictures are right there. Is that your experience?
Nope. I've tried with two machines, both using Firefox 2 with the NoScript add-on. When I open your post (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tml#post163896), the pictures are not displayed. When I go to the Kodak URLs that I saw in the e-mail notification regarding your post, and then back to your post, they are displayed. This could just be isolated to my machines.

I guess the 2008 model year is not the same thing as the 2008 calendar year. The TSB is for all Civic 4 doors 2006 and 2007. I would argue those are dates, not models.
Right, that's a tact I tried with both my dealer and Honda Customer Service, but they didn't agree. Of course, I also pointed out that I've had this happen with my previous car (an Acura RL) where the TSBs didn't cover my car's VIN or model year, but I still had an issue that was resolved by the fix provided in the TSB.

Call around and find a dealer who wants your business.
I'll probably give my dealer a chance after seeing the alignment results tomorrow. If the results are out of spec (the TSB's spec) and they won't do anything, then I'll be going somewhere else with all of my business. Luckily there are a lot more convenient Honda dealers around than the one Acura dealer that was convenient for me.

- Lawrence

Old 03-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Don't forget to have the Honda tech check the actual part number on the back of the arm.
They now have different listings for the old and the new, as I posted.
Good point on the part numbers. We'll see what they say.

- Lawrence

Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Larry. I would like to get the picture thing ironed out. Could you try from another computer?

Please post what happens with the alignment.

Also--for the record, ask if they will tell you the part number while under the car.

Remember, the total new parts cost is less than $200 retail. Their cost? It's crazy.

By the way, one Dealer called this a "silent recall" as the government does not consider it (yet) a safety issue and the Dealers have the right to lie their way out of the work. Their work? Only filing the papers to refunds from Honda. It comes down to some simply do not want to (read, too lazy) go through the filing process.

--Peterg

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Larry. I would like to get the picture thing ironed out. Could you try from another computer?
I just tried from a third computer, this time with IE 6 (with security set to "Medium"). I just see two boxes with red x's (broken links). Try clearing your browser's cache and you'll probably see the same behavior. We can move this to PM if you want...

- Lawrence

Last edited by larryka; 03-06-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Energy Independence

I cannot see your pictures either, Peter. It is not just Lawrence.
Thanks for your posts on this camber problem.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the great info guys. I am going to email a few dealers and see if they will do this for me. I have had a bad experience with Hoehn Honda of Carlsbad, and if they refuse to replace this, I will never give them my business again. I'll keep you posted.

BTW: I am running OS X and for some reason, I cannot see the pictures unless I open them in a new window.

Update: I was able to make an appointment to get this fixed through ownerlink. Now hopefully the dealership will contact me if they are not willing to do this, rather than have me drive all the way to the dealership and tell me there.

Last edited by giantquesadilla; 03-07-2008 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands