Navi XM Firmware update

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Navi XM Firmware update

I don't know much about computers, just enough to get by. But for those of you who do, do you think it is possible for Honda, or even an aftermarket company to come up with a firmware update that would allow those of us who subscribe to XM, recieve the traffic updates on the navi? I know there are SEVERAL aftermarket Navi's on the shelfs that do this and I am really disappointed that the Honda one does not. Is it even a possibility to create something like that, or am I holding my breath for nothing?

Old 04-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Navi XM Firmware update

I think you holding your breath for nothing. I would assume this based on a marketing angle and not a technology limitation of the hardware. The Acura line does include real time traffic updates (at least the RL does it). But if they offered stuff like that right now on all their models, what would differentiate their "luxury" line from everything else. At some point the Civic will have it but probably not anytime soon.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Same reason why, I believe there is no bluetooth option...but I think it was a big mistake.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

But by that logic, wouldn't it be possible for an aftermarket company to come out with this?

Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Utah
But by that logic, wouldn't it be possible for an aftermarket company to come out with this?
Yea but the problem is that the Navi unit has to have the software built in to accept the hardware. For example the Navi unit in the HCHII is made by Alpine. Alpine aready has a bluetooth add on option and a Navi Traffic update add on. Each add on plugs into the unit, but the Navi unit has to have the software already installed to run either add on. I doubt that Alpine has pre-loaded the software required to to use these items.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

I work in the wireless phone industry, and if there is one thing I've learned, it is that all companies don't operate logiclly. I.E., Motorola has released phones in the past that supposedly are missing key selling points that the more expensive models have. Yet if you flash them with new firmware, you can fully unlock their potential and have access to them. To me, it didn't make sense for Motorola to have these options on there and not utilize them, but I read that it was cheaper for Motorola to just mass produce all the components and just turn some of the options (i.e. bluetooth, video record, etc...) off on the less expensive models... Now as I mentioned earlier, I'm not great with computers, and something like this with the Navi is way over my head, but I wouldn't be willing to rule it out until someone actually tried it, or really analized the system...

Old 04-18-2006, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Utah
Now as I mentioned earlier, I'm not great with computers, and something like this with the Navi is way over my head, but I wouldn't be willing to rule it out until someone actually tried it, or really analized the system...
Oh, yeah I won't rule it out either. I know exactly what your talking about. I would be willing to try it. As far as the firmware, unlocking it if it there or finding it may be another problem. We are having a hard enough time trying to hack the Navi Nag screen, so you don't have to see the disclaimer screen and hit the okay button everytime the Navi starts up.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 AM

Also, it seems as if maybe at least the bluetooth could be possible or already install in the firmware. This is just my guess from the elaborate address/phone book that is installed. You can add any address and phone number to the book and look up business phone numbers.

Old 04-18-2006, 06:55 AM

Unless I screwed up when installing the iPod adapter (everything works, so I think it's okay), there's an unused jack in the back of the nav unit. At least, I ran out of things to plug in.

Makes me wonder if that's where a bluetooth module would hook in.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I bought one of the aftermarket Navi's that get traffic updates. They have not perfected the technology yet. I got more accurate and up to date traffic info from sigalert.com on my phone's browser than I did through the Navi.

Quick Reply: Navi XM Firmware update

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands