my wife won't listen to me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: my wife won't listen to me...

Yeah, it's definitely not just women. My partner won't make any effort to maximize mileage, either. He's just a lead foot.

But on the other hand, I'd rather have him flying 80mph in the [IVI] at 43mpg than in the CRV at 21mpg. And it is nice when you're in a hurry.

(By the way, he also won't turn off lights around the house. Maybe there's just always one in every relationship.)

Old 06-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Prius geek

To REALLY get the MPG game going, have her pay for ALL fuel, ALL the time...seems to me that alone would allow her to see that if she is more fuel-frugal, there's more $ for girl-stuff! Win-win!

Cheers,

Curt.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Generalizations. I can't get my husband to turn off lights in rooms he's not using. Should I generalize that all men cannot do this? No.

While it would be nice to get everyone who might drive our hybrids to do as good or better than we do fuel economy wise, a happy relationship is worth more than a some lost MPG in my opinion, regardless of whether it's one's wife or husband or friend or parent who's causing said loss.
Congratulations then. We ended up making the same point in the end

Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree, let it go.
It's not worth a fight.

Now indifelity, drug use, criminal behavior. . . those are the deal breakers.

Don't sweat the petty stuff.
And don't pet the . . . stuff.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Enthusiast

When I had my fiance drive the hybrid for the first time, I told her how I drive the car like a video game, trying to get the MPG up as high as possible...like getting a high score.

She got in the car and realized how much of a lead foot she was because the MPG dropped extremely low after 5 mins into it. She then started asking me what I do when I drive, I gave her my hypermiling methods (thanks to Green Hybrid members) and she immediately tried to do it.

She had so much fun trying to get the MPG up. She's normally a stressful driver, always trying to get to her location quickly, changing lanes, speeding, etc. When she was driving the HCH to places we usually go to, she realized that we got there in almost the same amount of time but she wasn't driving fast and was more calm in her driving. Paying attention to the MPG and FE while driving allowed her to relax and enjoy the drive.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:45 AM

It's sometimes hard to know how to talk about this to secondary drivers of your car. Maybe someday there will be fuel consumption gauges on regular cars (or we'll all be in hybrids) and the hypermiling urge will catch on- for some people it's a competitive thing, for others it's a game, and still others see it more like a cause. You've got to find what works for the person you're trying to influence. If she's environmentally aware, then that ought to be a good starting point. Most environmentalists have long ago capture the idea that there are consequences for the little things that we do; this is just one more, and we can all adjust. given time and will power.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
Congratulations then. We ended up making the same point in the end
Yes and no. You referred to genetics. I refer to personality differences and interpersonal skills... little different, no?

Enjoy!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Yes and no. You referred to genetics. I refer to personality differences and interpersonal skills... little different, no?

Enjoy!
You're right then. I stand corrected by a fellow HCH-II owner. Wait, you don't even own one.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SrfCity
You're right then. I stand corrected by a fellow HCH-II owner. Wait, you don't even own one.
Touche'. I didn't realize this sandbox was only for the "cool kids".

Old 06-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Cool it! One does not need to own a type of car to have opinions.

Quick Reply: my wife won't listen to me...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands