My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

I put Goodyear triple treads on my HCH, Sure made a big difference in FE! My best milage with OEM tires was 4.9 liter per 100km,now I am lucky to see 5.7 liter per 100 km. Tire pressures are at 40 psi. Hope FE gets better as tires wear in. I get my best FE when I drive 115km or more and worse when I drive within the limits? Hope winter is over soon and get back to LRR tires!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was considering the triple tread and comfort treads as well. The "extreme comfort" part of the description made me think they'd be softer and have higher rolling resistance.

As for my michelins, my MPG is creeping back up to the high 42 to low 43 range, so it seems it's cost me about a half a mpg or so. Better than I feared for sure. I have about 8k miles on them or so.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

I like the triple treads,great in the rain.had some snow yesterday felt good in snow. mileage is now about 6.2 liters per 100 km or down to 7.3 in the slushy snow. Quiet tire the car drives like is in on rails compared to the oem dunlops.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:22 PM
HypoFueler

Will put in my 2 cents so far:

Started with OEM Dunlops. Did NOT ask to have the alignment checked when I purchased the vehicle new - big mistake. After a couple of rotations, one shoulder of each tire was cupped on shoulder, perhaps due to alignment. Ran them at ~44psi (max sidewall) and was getting about 52mpg just before replacing. These were pretty loud and poor dry/wet traction tires.

Just purchased Mich MXv S8s and had installed/balanced - will get aligned this week. Pressed up to 48psi (51 max sidewall). On just a couple of daily trips - FE down to about 49mpg, coasting length way down (rolling resistance), noise and handling MUCH better though. May press these up to about 50psi.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

So i'm about to by a set of tires for the summer for my HCH II...have snow tires on it now since I do a lot of work up north, and my gas mileage has suffered severely (29-34, down from 37-43 with the factory Dunlops, but I've always been able to get back home, even in 4-5 inch snows)
I refuse to put the factory tires back on, they were LOUD and would develop a shake cruising for any length of time at higher speeds, e.g. the seemed to go out of round when they heated up.

SO...i'm down to Harmonys or MXV4 S8s. Both are on special at tire rack right now (88 and 81 respectively). Harmony's are on Consumer Reports high for LRR, but are only T speed rated (like 112 max), while the S8's are H rated (130). While I never drive that fast, but my experience with T rated tires is that they like to develops shakes, even at moderates speeds (75-85 mph).

So, guys with Harmony, Destiny tires, how do they ride on the highway as thats where I spend most my time?

Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=iridium130m;159413] ...Harmony's are on Consumer Reports high for LRR, but are only T speed rated (like 112 max), while the S8's are H rated (130). While I never drive that fast, but my experience with T rated tires is that they like to develops shakes, even at moderates speeds (75-85 miles per hour). ... quote]

I know what you mean about the speed rating. I use it for more of a 'quality' rating than anything else. I think the quality control for the higher speed rated tires is better. I don't know what the max speed of HCH is, but I remember Car and Driver had an article about a highly modified Prius that they got up to 104mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I don't think we have to worry about exceeding the speed rating on ANY tire!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iridium130m

So, guys with Harmony, Destiny tires, how do they ride on the highway as thats where I spend most my time?

I commute 84 miles each way daily at 75 miles per hour on open highway. I have absolutely no issues with stability, balance or anything else with the Harmony tire. They are very quiet and smooth, great traction so far. I really like it in every way, except for the roughly 5% mileage reduction.

I have no reservations about the speed rating. Overkill here will probably just cost more without much real benefit. When I had a 3/4 ton truck it required load range E tires, then when i switched to a smaller SUV that needed D rating I was tempted to get the E to be sure I got something really heavy duty, but then realized I would probably just be wasting money. Manufacturers base their recommendations on the car's specs, needs, and capabilities--so I figure they know best in that regard since they designed the thing. With american cars and bargain brand tires (companies motivated more by money than quality) I might be more leery, but we're talking about Honda and Michelin here. No worries.

Last edited by zimbop; 01-23-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had a set of Harmony's on my 2003 HCH. They were fine in the summer but terrible in even rain let alone snow. No grip at all. I ended up getting a set of four Good Year Triple Treads. I have only had them for about 5000 km. I don't know if they affected my FE because I got them just as we were getting our first snow and the temperature dropped. I will update when the mercury rises.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I am on my third set of tires.

When I went in the third time, I need the tires right away, as one tire had developed a problem. I tried the Bridgestone Insprions and they reduced the MPG by 15 percent immediately. I had a 30 day/500 mile return on them, and I immediately called the store and told them to get the B381s in ASAP. The mileage returned immediately back to the normal amound, no break-in required.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

I just can't help you other than add my info. My 2003 came with a Bridgestone and I had 51-60 mpg and was ecstatic. They lasted 45K and then, because of expense, hubby bought some Goodrich and have never achieved over 51 since and it's been 15K miles. Honda dealership is absolutely no help with these types of questions and could care less, at least in N.C. where I live. I do get lesser mpg in the winter here as hybrids hate cold.

Quick Reply: My tire choice--Michelin Destiny (Harmony)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands