My HCH memorial June 2004 - May 2005

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default My HCH memorial June 2004 - May 2005

Friday morning, on my way to work, I got T-boned by a Ford SUV. I can't tell if it's an Expedition or an old-model Explorer. There's some pics of my car, the SUV, and the landscaping damage on my website. Here's my car, and the other car:

I'm pretty happy with the way my Honda Civic Hybrid held up, but I'm skeptical it can be repaired.

Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Contributor ($)
Default Re: My HCH memorial June 2004 - May 2005

waxmop,
Thanks for posting, and welcome to GreenHybrid.
I assume since you are writing this post that you (thankfully) are o.k? I hope those "spiderwebs" on the windshield didn't come from your body.

edited to add: And by the way...it was a Ford Expedition.

Last edited by ericbecky; 05-30-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yikes i'm glad you're alright.

i second that, it is an expedition

looks like it could be repaired if the frame wasn't badly affected. one part of the frame is practical to replace, but multiple parts requires a lot of labor and costs..hope things turn out alright for ya

Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I must say that the HCH held it's own in this crash against a big bad SUV! I too, hope you are OK. Would hate to have that one back repaired due to amount of damage. Good luck with your claim.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 PM

Yeah. Looks to me like there is a good possibility it can be repaired. Keep us updated. BTW, it looks like the suv is going to cost more to repair.

Is the SUVs wheel turned or dis that damage?

Old 05-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Site Founder

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Hope you're alright.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:40 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: My HCH memorial June 2004 - May 2005

Hope things work out okay for you and your claim. You buy a car with all these safety features (some of which are just part of building a car these days) and hope you never have to use 'em. I used to drive a Corolla that was hit like this, only on the passenger side, by a pickup truck about 10 years ago. The other driver and I exchanged insurance cards like we are supposed to here in Texas, and I settled back to wait for my agent to contact his agent.

Next day I got a call from my insurance agent... turns out the other driver had bought insurance coverage, and stopped making payments after he had his truck inspected (in Texas you must undergo a yearly safety inspection, and have proof of insurance), so although he had a card to show folks he ran into he was not insured.

And, we're glad that you're okay.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wow, that's nasty. My Mom almost died in a car accident just like that, about four years ago, in Phoenix. I'm glad you are okay.

It looks like your HCH did okay in the crash, fortunately. My Mom's car, was a Buick Century, and was hit by a Caddy. I took some similar pictures from the impound lot. Her Buick was not repairable.

With what will you replace your HCH? Another HCH? A 2006 maybe? Or another hybrid? It would be interesting to hear what your experience has been with your now-deceased HCH, and where you plan to go from here.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:26 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I had a friend who told me his 2003 HCH CVT was in a serious accident.

I gather they are trying to determine if it is totaled. I bet that they are still worth alot for parts. I told him about the HCH that was referenced on this site on sale at eBay.

I considered making an offer just to get a spare battery. Nah.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I hope you are Ok.

My dad had a 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatchback. One day my brother (this was the first time he drove it) took it to the garage he worked at to have new tires put on it. He was hit from behind trying to get on the onramp near 22nd st in Tucson, AZ. The car held up and even though my brother was not wearing his seatbelt he walked away ok. My dad didn't want to show my mom the car, but it held up. My dad had the car "clipped" with another Civic that had been hit head on and drove it for another 175,000 miles (car had over 250,000, when sold).

It just goes to show how good design is important.

Quick Reply: My HCH memorial June 2004 - May 2005

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands