My Guide: How to get 1000 miles on a tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My Guide: How to get 1000 miles on a tank

Hi All:

___A Reboot only livens up the electronics. The definition of FAS in the glossary is a bit messed up. FAS and Forced Auto Stop mean the same thing but one entry is FUBAR I will fix that later

___For a manual, push in the clutch, shift to neutral, and turn the car off … almost all at the same time. Letting her come down to idle is better longevity wise then just keying off while her tach is still at cruising RPM’s but that short wait will cost you a second or two worth of FAS.

FAS w/ a MT
  • Clutch in while fully letting off the accelerator.
  • Allow idle to settle and Key Off or Key Off immediately upon tranny disengagement via clutch
  • Shift to Neutral.
  • Wait for at least 1 second.
  • Key to IG II to reboot electronics and verify ICE-Off via Tach.
  • Let out clutch (while in Neutral) once ICE is verified Off.
  • Coast to lower target speed or park.
  • Push in clutch.
  • Shift to proper gear to match new lower target speed.
  • Key to IG III to start ICE and release.
  • Once ICE is running, slight depression of accelerator to rev match and release clutch while still in proper gear for speed.
  • Begin re-acceleration.
___There are multiple variations of FAS’s including with various types of drafts, high and low speeds, and cyclic between a speed range as in a pure P&G for the non-HSD equipped hybrids and non-hybrids.

___For that 1,000 - 1,100 + mile tank, add enough FAS’s to cover Warm up and unplanned Stop and Go’s while running the HCH in Lean burn at 45 - 55 mph for a longer highway cruise. That will get you into the low to mid 70’s (mpg’s) with warmer temps. Around town, the HCH can P&G with the best of them and running stoplight to stop light should net > 100 mpg for however long you can run in a pure P&G before a pure FAS to a Stop and grabbing whatever regen is available if in fact you do have to stop This should yield a 75 + mpg tank(s) if your traffic conditions and commuting roadway allow … Once you have both the highway and city techniques locked down, go forth and conquer

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 10-20-2005, 08:30 PM
my other car is a FJORD

ok, sounds like a challenge, but better left for next summer. winter's coming here and it's not the best timing.

however, i am finding lately that even though it's about 35 degrees, like it was on my way home tonight, i can turn on the cruise at about 58 MPH (speed limit is 65) and the FEC will almost constantly stay on 60 MPG. the readout right now is 55.6, since there are some other miles in there.

in the morning i have a rough start. i have two miles on a gravel road right after i leave my driveway as the car warms up. then the first 8 miles on the highway are hilly, with several bridges over other roads and the river (mississippi). i try to drive those without the cruise. after the last hill, then it's pretty flat from there to work. another plus is that they have been doing road construction, resurfacing the entire distance to work, putting on new asphalt. the road is very smooth now, and just enough little ups and downs to keep it at 60.

the next challenge will be the snow tires i will most like put on in a week or two, since it's been showing up in the forecast now and again. i am hoping to keep it above 50 all winter, but time will tell.

and then tomorrow.....i have to ride the interstate to minneapolis. ACK!!! i hate going down there, but i am visiting mom and sister, and getting a hair cut. i think i will fill it right before i hit the road and see how i do on a 70 MPH highway. since i am going against all the friday night traffic that literally pours out of the twin cities, maybe i can still get by at 5 below the limit......i will report back tomorrow. film at 11.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:30 PM

FAS is forced auto stop. This is the techique of rebooting the computer on the car to halt the engine.

Having read this in the 2006 HCH Facts Book -
' For 2006, a 3-stage i-VTEC with IMA System cuts off all four cylinders, allowing the electric motor to propel the car by itself at low speeds or while cruising on a level surface. The cylinders also cut off during deceleration for friction reduction. '

I doubt very much that FAS will be a useful technique with the 2006 model. It seems that Honda has done everything possible to gain maximum efficiency with the ICE still 'on', while deactivating it automatically.

I would suspect that in any case (for the older models) the potential damage from FAS far exceeds the potential fuel savings.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 PM

when it cuts the fuel the engine is still turning I believe. By putting the car in neutral and killing the engine you don't have that load on your car anymore.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Brains of the Operation

Originally Posted by xcel
___A Reboot only livens up the electronics. The definition of FAS in the glossary is a bit messed up. FAS and Forced Auto Stop mean the same thing but one entry is FUBAR I will fix that later
I just updated both "Reboot" and "Forced Autostop" in the glossary, but I think I overdid it, and it's a bit too lengthy. Feel free to re-edit.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Hi ElanC:

___A pure FAS will kill the faked-EV mode available in the HCH-II unfortunately You need a bit more experience and you will find the same … We are not talking EV mode over ½ mile distance, we are talking about a FAS whenever applicable over many hundreds and thousands of miles. As for the rest of it, you are speaking beyond your experience.

___CivicDuty, please leave the glossary alone as both Reboot and FAS are now a bit messed up. Reboot is not a technique, it is an action. A FAS includes multiple actions that becomes the technique Adding that much detail to a definition leaves so much out in regards to hybrids, non-hybrid’s, HSD and eCVT based hybrids vs. IMA and other hybrids that you should leave it simple … You can learn definitions in the glossary, you should not attempt to recreate the nuances of the various techniques to maximize ones FE in it …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Last edited by xcel; 10-20-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by ElanC
I would suspect that in any case (for the older models) the potential damage from FAS far exceeds the potential fuel savings.
What damage?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
when it cuts the fuel the engine is still turning I believe. By putting the car in neutral and killing the engine you don't have that load on your car anymore.
I only know what I read.
from the earlier Facts Book quote -
' For 2006, ...The cylinders also cut off ... for friction reduction. '

I take this to mean two things. One is that they're doing something different for 2006. What could that be? Second is that the cylinders are cut off for friction reduction. If they kept spinning there would be no friction reduction.

Originally Posted by lakedude
What damage?
Several dicussions of FAS have stressed that it's important to do it carefully. Stick to the right sequence of actions. Don't do it at excessive speed. And still many people experience a bucking when they try to do it. That bucking means they're not doing it quite right. They're putting a lot of strain on the engine and transmission by engaging them on the fly. And how many of us are perfect drivers? We're all likely to put such strain on the powertrain at least sometimes. IMO, and it's only my opinion, it's better to sacrifice 5MPG than to risk an engine or transmission overhaul.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM

The bucking seems to be the 04s and 05s when you reengage a CVT over 35 or so MPG. Nothing you can do to avoid it except to not do it. I have no problem with it in 03.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

If I drove below 70mph on the Expressways, I'd be run over...

Quick Reply: My Guide: How to get 1000 miles on a tank

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands