MPG not near what others are getting...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

I primarily drive to and from work ~13 miles from north Atl to downtown each way, Ga400 and I85, then around near home and work. Mostly fairly light traffic in the AM and heavy at night. I have about 1100 miles on it now (HCH - CVT). After filling up and getting a few miles on the tank, paying attention to backing off the pedal as much as possible, I find myself at ~43.5mpg's on the current tank (39.3 on the running total). By the end of the tank I am lucky to keep it between 41.3 to 42.7. When I fill up (hard to fill to the same level each time so its not perfect) I calculate more like 38-39 mpg). I see very different numbers on this site and others. Hot Georgia has provided some advice(havn'e adjusted tire pressure yet) but I don't seem to be having as much sucess with mileage as others. I have never seen 50.0 or better except coasting downhill right after filling the tank. Would appreciate advice from others and their sucess........Pete

Old 12-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Go to the "Search Posts" at the top of the page and enter

tips

as your search keyword and select

"show results as posts"

at the bottom of the search page.

You will have TONS of good tips to review......Good luck.......

Old 12-09-2004, 10:35 AM

First welcome to GreehHybrid, and congratulations on already getting what is probably the best mileage of your life.
I've been here since April and really enjoy the whole gas saving thing.
I have a 2004 HCH CVT AT-PZEV in southern California.
Because of our warm mild weather I get better mileage than you people in cold and snowy states.
Check the database and you will find that many people enter their data once or twice and lose interest. Many of the top-ranking people haven't added a tank since a few months ago when it was warmer - so the data is a little misleading.

Also, everyone's MPGs starts out low till they get the hang of it.
Look at mine, I started at 52 MPG and hit 62 MPG this summer - now it's cooler and rainy and my latest tank is down to about 58 MPG.

There are a million gas savings tips here just search around.
With 14 tanks, and a lifetime average of 58.6 MPG, I am the highest rated HCH in the database right now.
My main strategy:
I keep my tires at 40psi and check them every time I fill up - they usually need more air.
I use cruise control set at 53 mph for my 17-mile commute everyday.
Fortunately, I drive alone, and there are no big hills to strategize around.
In the city I accelerate very slowly, and if I'm alone in the car and nobody is behind me I accelerate like a snail.
I accelerate so slowly that old ladies in walkers pass me up then come back and ask me if I need a push.
I'll pop it into neutral and coast to the red light 3 blocks ahead - usually it turns green before I get to it.
Beyond not tailgaiting, I leave plenty of space in front of me - I don't care when people pull into it because the always speed up to give it back to me.
I can't believe I have not gotten a ticket since I roll through stop signs now.
I expect my brakes to last 100K.

In fact I have heard the way to get the best mileage is to pretend you have no brakes as you drive.

That *really* sums it up.

All this sounds ridiculous but so is getting 60 MPG on a car the EPA rates at 48.

The cars are capable of amazing mileage.
The MPG you get will be limited by your driving style.

Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Contributor ($)

Welcome RoyalF,
I think you're doing pretty good on the mileage considering the factors you've got going against you. The cooler winter weather, break-in period, and the heavy pm traffic will make adifference.
Give yourself time and read the tips. You'll get better at it as time goes on.

Old 12-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome RoyalF,

Since I just driven through Atlanta I understand your what you are fighting against. The only thing that saved me on Wednesday is the drive from Chattanooga. The worst thing I have seen for my mileage is stop and go traffic. The hardest thing to learn about stop and go is letting enough room get between you and the car in front so that auto stop kicks in when you stop. If it doesn't you will probably get real good about cutting off the engine, putting the car in neutral and then starting it back up at the appropriate time. I did that a few times yesterday on 75 south near Towne Center.

Good luck and keep coming back here. The tips are incredible.

Billy

Old 12-09-2004, 03:51 PM

RoyalF, thanks for the post.

I see a couple of things which will hinder fantastic MPG:
Your 13 mile trip in Atlanta traffic, especially during the evening rush hour.
It's very likely that we meet on I-85 but on the other side of the wall.
You will always see me tooling along in the Right lane going 53 - 63MPH.

I think Eric was spot-on in that you are doing very well so far.
Your car is new, you are still adjusting and learning the car, and above all is your evening traffic.
As I'm heading into Atlanta around 5:15 my side of the road is very light, but on your side there is always a jam that goes for miles & miles. I've often seen I-85 backed up bumper to bumper from somewhere downtown all the way up 316 in Lawrenceville !
For the out of town'ers here that's more than 25 miles of stop -n- go.
I know often times your Ga400 trips are worse, and then you deal with the toll booth.

I'd give it more time.
My commute is 45 miles each way and the first 23 miles are all side road to avoid the freeway traffic. It costs about 5 minutes in time vs. all freeway, but I gain 7-12MPG this way. I'm not sure if this is an option for your morning commute or not.

BTW I work in one of those two big BellSouth towers off I-85 and Piedmont.
If I see you I'll be sure to wave! B)

Old 12-10-2004, 07:22 AM

ANother idea.

Drive as if there is a full cup of hot coffee on your dashboard that you don't want to spill.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Drive as if there is a full cup of hot coffee on your dashboard that you don't want to spill.
Addition: ....as far as acceleration goes.

You want to carry as much speed thru turns as possible and doing so would spill the imaginary coffee.

Old 12-10-2004, 03:02 PM

Agreed with the above. I'll also note that the weather around here has not been ideal for milage. I've had to turn the A/C on many, many times to get a clear view of the road (normal defog just wouldnt cut it). That mixed w/ a new car and being new w/ the car...i say you're doing pretty good.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 12-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Hi RoyalF,

Don't be too concerned just yet. Getting the most out of your HCH is a combination of driving style, environment, and simply having your car properly broken in. My 03 CVT just passed 30K miles. My mileage for the first 3K was like yours. It went up between 3K and 10K, and for some reason jumped again around 20K. I'm now consistently 45-47 MPG under a variety of conditions. Just follow the driving tips - it will go up. I've also noticed cold weather takes 2-3 MPG off, and warm weather adds 2-3. Right now it's cold and rainy, and I'm lucky to get 42 or 43. For reference, I have a 23 mile commute with a mix of hwy and stop-and-go.

As a side note, to date I've saved close to $1000 on gas. Absolutely worth it - just hang in there.

Quick Reply: MPG not near what others are getting...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands