MPG - Calculated vs. computer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG - Calculated vs. computer?

When the computer's is maxed out at 120mpg, is it averaging in 120 over a period of time or is their an actual number that is not displayed that is averaged in? Seems like, the minute the max is averaged in, the numbers will go off slightly.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM

Could be. However, I would think the computer wouldn't keep averaging the calculations on the display but rather constantly calculate from the total fuel used and miles driven. This way you keep accuracy since the calculation is fresh all the time.

Maybe I should work at keeping my mpg below 120 for a tank to see if the acuracy gets any better.

Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM

It seems like 120 is the max that gets factored in, I remember once crusing down a long mountain road and I couldn't get the average to go beyond that.

It also has to do with the sampling rate, if it's a high sampling rate than the average will be closer to real value, if the sampling rate is every minute (i know it's not) the average is going to be way off.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
When the computer's is maxed out at 120mpg, is it averaging in 120 over a period of time or is their an actual number that is not displayed that is averaged in? Seems like, the minute the max is averaged in, the numbers will go off slightly.
Yeah but it sure makes for a nice real-world surprise when you fill if silly comp thinks you were only pulling down 120 MPG.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by laurie

watch out. this will probably jinx me, but i am still holding right below 62MPG with 250 miles on this tank.....

phooey. i filled up this morning, just to compare......manually figured i got 55. what gives? can it be that far off? i went over a really hard "bump" on the road the other day (not enough warning and higher bump than you usually find)....could it have broken something? the car hit really hard

Old 10-04-2005, 06:52 AM

I've gotten bad readings like that I always account for about 4mpg lower than the gauge says. were you still at 62? What did the gauge end up at?

Old 10-04-2005, 06:59 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I've gotten bad readings like that I always account for about 4mpg lower than the gauge says. were you still at 62? What did the gauge end up at?
the gauge read 60.9.

oh well, i can start fresh today with a 70 mile drive on a 4 lane in the rain....yuk......

Old 10-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just curious about something. Most of the time my hand calculated average is slightly lower than the computer. Howevr, twice the hand calc'd value was actually a little higher. Anyone else see this happen?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 AM

Yep - about 25% of the time, my hand calcs have been higher than the FCD, over 16 months of record keeping.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:14 AM

Hi All:

___Some of my previous post is probably bogus. My FCD’s delta creep is due to FAS as the Accord’s TC does not reboot immediately and I lose a few seconds of the recorded fuel consumed on the next acceleration vs. the HCH and Insight’s recording of everything except for a small amount of the coast down during the reboot phase of a FAS or P&G. The FCD’s recording of fuel consumed probably cannot increase or decrease a given amount over time except for fuel pump suction pressure as is being discussed in the other tank full/tank empty thread?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Quick Reply: MPG - Calculated vs. computer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands