mileage during breakin period

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: mileage during breakin period

NJ is a tough place to be a hypermiler - no question.

Larryka - outside parking, short trips in the winter - yeah - mileage will be terrible. I generally find that I get 20-30 mpg until she warms up - and I am a 50 MPG lifetime person. The warm up at 35 degrees is probably a full 5 miles. Now - come summer - the warm up is down to a mile.

I typically have 48-50 in a NC winter and 60 mpg in the spring/summer/fall. Temperature matters a lot and particularly if you have short drives.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast

Just a quick update... I arrived at my first destination today showing 52.7 MPG over 7 miles on roads with 30 - 45 miles per hour speed limits, which I obeyed since traffic was light behind me, and some hills up and down. The temperature was in the 60's F today, which definitely seemed to make a difference. I saw auto-stop and regen recharge a lot sooner.

I took a different route on the way back that was around 9 - 10 miles, and made some stops. Without resetting for the return leg, I arrived home showing 50.1 MPG. That was with some parking lot driving and I would say an average of 25 - 30 miles per hour due to rush hour traffic and red lights.

I had climate control set to around 60, fan at around 2 - 3 clicks with AC off since it was so nice out. I didn't get a chance to see what my tires were at today.

These are the kind of numbers I expected to see. I worked the iFCD and I'm sure the warmer weather played a large part.

On a side note, I threw some MP3s onto a 1 GB MicroDisk that I've had since they were $400 a piece. I put it into a PC Card adapter and slid that into my HCHII's navi. It started playing the songs flawlessly. I'm sure I'll run into some annoying issues with it later as I did with my RL's handling of MP3s on CD-R's, but for now I'm happy.

- Lawrence

Last edited by larryka; 03-03-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by larryka
These are the kind of numbers I expected to see.
I'm glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by larryka
I had climate control set to around 60, fan at around 2 - 3 clicks with AC off since it was so nice out.
Just another FYI: the A/C isn't actually off unless it says "A/C Off". It is still in the automatic setting when nothing is displayed so it may or may not actually be using the A/C compressor There's nothing like driving around with your windows open, thinking you're saving--only to realize that your vents are blowing COLD air when you finally come to a stop and can feel them...

Old 03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
Just another FYI: the A/C isn't actually off unless it says "A/C Off". It is still in the automatic setting when nothing is displayed so it may or may not actually be using the A/C compressor There's nothing like driving around with your windows open, thinking you're saving--only to realize that your vents are blowing COLD air when you finally come to a stop and can feel them...
Right, I specifically pressed the A/C button to make sure I saw the "A/C Off" text. Thanks for reinforcing that though

On another side note, and sorry for hijacking the thread, I have noticed a steady high pitched whine coming from the rear seat area. It was pretty loud and lasted the duration of my 30 mile trip the first night I drove the car in maybe 40 degree temperatures. The passengers I had in the back said they definitely heard it near their heads. The next day, with just me in the car, it wasn't as loud or not even there. Today I heard it for a part of my trip and didn't notice it the rest of the time. One of the manuals that came with the car does mention that a high pitched whine from the IMA battery cooling fan might be heard from that area. Do you guys think that's what I'm hearing? I'm going to try to get a recording one of these days, but it might be tough.

- Lawrence