Maximizing FE in Traffic

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast
Question Maximizing FE in Traffic

Any suggestions on maximizing FE while in stop-n-go?
It really brings my average down. The other day I was averaging 52 mpg over a 100 mile trip. Then I hit traffic and it went down to 42 mpg very quickly.

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM
Site Founder
Default Re: Maximizing FE in Traffic

Not sure if this works with IMA, but for a Prius I'd say: try not to stop and go. Slamming on the brakes and slamming on the accelerator will do you no good. Try to keep steady in spite of your surroundings.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Let trafic move enough where you can get up to 5mpg under light accleration. For me this is about 3 car lengths. Then move forward. Sometimes the gap gets filled in but often you can do this.

Old 07-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

To reiterate what has been said, the best advice for dealing with stop-and-go is to change it into slow-and-go. This will be a benefit not only to your FE, but will also decrease the risk of accidents, which are typically cause by people who speed-and-slam(brakes).

By accelerating slower and deccelerating slower, you have a damping effect on the traffic behind you, so that it moves at a more constant speed. They say that the major cause of accidents is not so much speed as it is change of speed. Driving this way tends to reduce those changes in speed.

It will also do wonders for your blood pressure, and for the blood pressure of those in your lane who realize that you are going just as fast as the guy in the next lane, and thus fall in behind you. It may aggravate and raise the blood pressure of the super-impatient jerks who cannot stand to have more than twelve inches between their front bumper and the rear end of the car ahead; but expediting their departure from our fair planet may not be that bad a thing after all.

The side benefit of all this is that driving in congested traffic this way can have a positive effect on your FE, because slow-and-go can be the one of the best situations for getting great mileage.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by coyote
. It may aggravate and raise the blood pressure of the super-impatient jerks who cannot stand to have more than twelve inches between their front bumper and the rear end of the car ahead; .
And have you noticed that, although not always, but almost always, they seem to be driving a large truck or SUV?

That is one of the reasons for the popularity of large trucks...one can bully smaller cars.

The thing is, I know many very decent people driving large trucks, and most of the time they drive corteously. But some of them are, as you bluntly put it, impatient jerks.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Actually, since you mention large pickup trucks: I've been surprised, pleasantly, at the number of these individuals who accept the going rate of speed and are some of the more courteous drivers on the road. Maybe they are secure enough in their masculinity that they don't have the need to bully others in order to prove their virility. Like the big schoolyard kid who turns out to be a gentle giant.

It always cheers me up when I see stuff like this, which contradicts the stereotypes we usually hold onto.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Sometimes getting off the freeway improves fuel efficiency and calms me down. Fewer NASCAR-wannbes to deal with.

I talked with someone that has a civil engeneering job. All the off-road travel requires an SUV. I'll admit to stereotyping SUV's from time to time. It's just human psycology: you will remember one jerk better than ten well-behaved drivers. A number of vehicles are stereotyped:
  • BMW - overly push salesmen or businessmen<
  • SUV - Insecureties about manhood or success so they drive this for a power outlet<
  • hybrids - geeks, Greenpeace envinomentalists<
  • large sedans, esp. American - retirees<
  • Bikers - hoodlums<
  • Pickup trucks - Ignorant, insensitive rednecks<
  • Volvos - the anti-pickup. Well-educated, patron of ther arts and NPR.<
  • Souped-up Civics - gang members<
....these are some of the steroetypes that come to mind. People get carried away on "if you drive this, you must be...". On hybrid drivers, we know people on this forum that are hyper-milers, fast drivers, got them to save money, got them to save the envirnoment....

Old 08-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's easy to stereotype, I do it alot with younger drivers.
While many are unexperienced maniacs, many are also very responsible.

I remember back in my initial hypermile training that a Yukon or similar truck stopped behind me at a light. Noticing a pair of 16-17 year olds in front I thought "Oh great".

After seeing this young man's mature, patient and courtious manner I've learned to hold my judgement, at least for a "we'll see".

All the others have made good suggestions for FE in traffic.
Some more suggestions is that if your battery has a good charge be sure to force autostop, don't just let it run while stopped or almost stopped.

If the traffic is the kind that moves 200 feet or more then stops again while on level ground I'll briefly restart, just to nudge it enough then shut down again and roll to the next stop. Once again your SOC can't be low as repeated restarts drops it lower.

Sitting on a downhill it is a unique opportunity as I'll shut it down and roll all the way down with traffic to the bottom. I have to take special caution with this technique as the brake power vacuume assist will depleat and the pedal will require more effort to stop. With that in mind I'll keep my Left foot ready to help if needed.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 08-01-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

When the car in front of you moves, don't immediately follow. Delay by a split second and start moving. With luck, he will start moving again by the time you reach him. This is the slow and go that they were talking about.

Make sure econ is on.

If you have a slow creep downhill, see if you can enter it with your engine off and just roll down in auto-stop mode.

Or the best solution, trade in for the new 2006 Civic which has EV only mode for low speed cruising :-)

Just kidding....

Originally Posted by Hybrid_Jon
Any suggestions on maximizing FE while in stop-n-go?
It really brings my average down. The other day I was averaging 52 mpg over a 100 mile trip. Then I hit traffic and it went down to 42 mpg very quickly.

Thanks.