Making up the mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here in DC, you never know when you are going to run into a solid wall of traffic, so it seems most everyone just hits the gas on any open stretch of highway. Since I got the Civic, and keep it just under 70mph and am getting around 42mpg on average at that point. When I see the wall coming up, I start costing, and try to keep the speed between 20-30. This sends my mileage on the rebound. On big down-hills, I try to get the engine to cut out, and cost with the engine off. Currently getting 45mpg with a couple of 5000RPM runs merging into traffic, but quickly getting into "coast" mode. Gotta love the ASSIST. I'm really enjoying the car. I'm all smiles looking at my mileage meter. My co-worker with the HEMI powered RAM is asking more questions everyday, and his wifes Taurus might end up for sale soon.

Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My co-worker with the HEMI powered RAM is asking more questions everyday
Have they asked you how long do you have to keep it plugged in yet?
I'm still asked that once in a while.

Old 12-08-2004, 09:23 AM

I can tell you this, I REALLY feel sorry for all you "cold weather" Hybrid drivers.

Here in Phoenix, we have been in a "below normal" weather pattern so far this Fall, and morning temps have been as low as 38 F for my commute up to about 55 F, and my MPG is suffering BADLY !!

I refilled this past Friday, after a 49.8 MPG tank, and so far, I'm STRUGGLING to hover around 47 in this tank.

I can't imagine dealing with temps in the 20s or teens in the A.M. everyday and trying to keep MPG up - WHEW !!

Old 12-08-2004, 01:53 PM

Yes, I'm amazed as well.
Sometimes I'm glad that I moved here from Minneapolis back in the 80's...

Old 12-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Hi you all! I got my civic Hybrid back in august, and really love it, but I am not getting a good mileage yet (36 - 37mpg). Here in Las Vegas you know the heat, and my wife cross the town every day during heavy traffic or getting some freeways along.

Are we doing something wrong? Is this a heavy foot problem or we should be at least over the 40's ? Yes, we use AC but we do not go fast (City speeds, 65 or below on city-limits freeway). There is lots of stop lights and slow traffic. Our baby just hit 6000 miles a few days ago. Does the Civic turns the engine off while going down hill ???

Any advices from you guys masters?

Thanks!

Mauricio

Old 12-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Site Founder

No first-hand experience, but I would assume that heavy AC use could hurt your mileage, as would heavy acceleration. The car's engine cannot shut off while the vehicle is moving.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thats is strange that your getting such bad mileage in Vegas. Our civic dropped from the mid 40's for mileage to low 40's when the temps fell into the teens. I coast alot these days.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Challenger1!

Would you please explain what is coast? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you coast, you back off the gas significantly, or completely. You also have to judge traffic to make sure that you try to keep the car above 20mph to keep the car in the 100mpg range. You might make people mad behind you, but in the long run you are doing them a favor.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Pedal Pusher

With a CVT and you can even pop it into Neutral during down hills or just to extend your coasting distance, just be aware that the IMA will not charge your battery in neutral. For those who are especially daring once placed in neutral you can turn the key one click back and the engine shuts off completely. You can then easily restart the car and pop it into drive when you need to hit the gas again.

Quick Reply: Making up the mileage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands