Lightweight Wheels: Any measurable increase in FE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Lightweight Wheels: Any measurable increase in FE?

I know there have been a lot of discussions where lightweight wheels have come up as a way to improve fuel economy. But nowhere (yes, i've searched) have I come across any thread where before and after fuel economy #'s ahve been mentioned. I was looking at some wheels that weigh in at 10 lbs, and I have to assume that the decrease in rotational mass will improve efficiency under accelleration, but I'd like to know how much of an effect it has before I invest any money into it.

Please note, I'm only interested in people who have stuck with 15" rims with the OEM tire size. Any change to wheel diameter and tire size could change the results.

I've seen all sorts of #'s for the weight of the wheels on the HCH2, but they vary from 15lbs to 20lbs in what i've found. has anyone actually weighed their stock wheels?

Old 05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
"Manalo"
Default Re: Lightweight Wheels: Any measurable increase in FE?

Just bought our first set of new Michelin Weatherwise II tires and would like to know more about this subject since I've noticed slower acceleration but a smoother ride than the factory tires. I would think lighter wheels with the same wheel/tire OEM configuration would improve FE as well as looks . As for my next set of wheels and tires, I would definitely look into some aftermarket rims. Perhaps when I hit the 100k mark probably in like 5 years at the rate my Wife and I are going (we share the car as I ride a motobike )

Old 06-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MortalWombat
I know there have been a lot of discussions where lightweight wheels have come up as a way to improve fuel economy. But nowhere (yes, i've searched) have I come across any thread where before and after fuel economy #'s ahve been mentioned. I was looking at some wheels that weigh in at 10 lbs, and I have to assume that the decrease in rotational mass will improve efficiency under accelleration, but I'd like to know how much of an effect it has before I invest any money into it.

Please note, I'm only interested in people who have stuck with 15" rims with the OEM tire size. Any change to wheel diameter and tire size could change the results.

I've seen all sorts of #'s for the weight of the wheels on the HCH2, but they vary from 15lbs to 20lbs in what i've found. has anyone actually weighed their stock wheels?
I believe the stock wheels weigh 16 lbs.

If you spend $2000 to get 10 lb wheels, you will not save any money. Is that your question?

My snow wheels weigh 17 lbs. I don't see any noticeable difference in FE.

If you get some very heavy aftermarket wheels you will see a noticeable decrease is FE.

Is that enough information?

nf

Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

I switched to a more conventional five spoked 15 inch wheel that was about a pound lighter than stock. I didn't notice a drop or rise in FE, maybe the 1 lb and the loss of aerodynamics cancelled each other out. PS I have the stock rims for sale if anyone is interested.