Lifetime AVG just hit 60.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Lifetime AVG just hit 60.0

Originally Posted by xcel
That is where the real safety issues are imho. How many of the 18-wheeler’s you pass daily are driving in the middle and left lanes at 10 over in heavy traffic? Do you know how many miles those guys drive in a year? In a decade? Over a lifetime without much in the way of an incident? Follow the pros because most are by far better drivers then the hundreds of thousands of others you and I share the road with … I did say most. There are any number of OTR’s that are driving over the limits by what I deem to be an excessive amount too but not nearly as many as those you and I drive with day in and day out
I had no intention of implying that nobody else does anything dangerous on the road. I was simply stating the reasoning I apply to hypermiling technique for myself. I have no doubt that you are extra aware, it's the priorities I was getting at. While others do different dangerous things, it doesn't mean what you do isn't dangerous. You may feel one thing is more or less dangerous, but the statistic I quoted was not a general feeling I had based on some accident I saw, it was a statistical research that I read. There's a difference. As for the professional drivers, yes I know how much they drive in a year and how much they focus on safety because I am one. I have probably done more yearly miles than many people do in a lifetime. We all make choices and have our reasons, I simply was sharing mine. Obviously yours are different and that's ok with me. We probably agree on a lot of what we're talking about here - hey I hate the crazy speeders and impatient passers as much as you, We only seem to differ where I believe that going slower than traffic is just as dangerous as going faster than traffic, and that's based both on statistics and millions of miles behind the wheel. Oh, and fyi, tractor-trailer drivers love slipstreamers, it makes them feel good about helping to save gas. :-)
(please take this lightly - I'm tongue in cheek here)

[I am re-reading this now after getting to work and it sounds more harsh or defensive than I intended.... please forgive me for letting my spirit of discussion get carried away. I respect and admire those of you who are doing amazing things with these cars. I love that we have this opportunity and that car makers finally gave us a chance to prove that efficient cars have a place in our auto market. We're all together in the spirit of this and I am a believer, so I'm sorry to have implied any negative energy this morning.]

Last edited by zimbop; 09-23-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: attitude adjustment
Old 09-23-2005, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by kenny
Zimbop you make some very good points about safety.
I will take your post to heart.

Perhaps this is a good motto to drive by:
Safety First
Courtesy Second
MPG Third

BTW, I never turn my car off when driving - I think that's nuts and have said so here.

The way I use cruise control I never get near the car in front of me.
50 MPH almost always assures lots of space in front of me to absorb the speed variations of the traffic in front of me, my brakes will last forever.

Also traffic in the right-most of 4 to 6 lanes in LA rush hour is not doing anything near 75.
There are occasions in which I do speed up, such as when a freeway interchange dumps us into the left-most lane of the freeway we are merging into.

Like Wayne said tailgaiting is much more dangerous, and more common, than hypermiling.
I'd say 85% of L.A drivers tailgate, drive too fast and incorrectly assume they will be able to stop if there is a problem.

Also like Wayne said I am 100 times more aware of the position of the cars around me than the idiots in their Ford Exploitations talking on cellphones, putting on their makeup, looking at their NAV and their DVD screens while carrying their usual cargo of a Starbucks Latte.
Yes, I am not trying to criticize anyone or pick on any particular driver. I really just meant to discuss some of these safety issues. I was lumping you in with a collage of posts I have read about hypermiling techniques, so I was really referring to those in general, not anyone in particular. My response to the other post here too is meant that way. I didn't intend to point any fingers, just interested in discussing those finer safety points.

Thanks all for good discussion, we're all in this together.

Old 09-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
I honestly drive 50 MPH in cruise control in the right-most of 4 to 6 lanes.
Besides, Los Angeles rush hour traffic doesn't go that fast anyway.

I almost never need air conditioning - I remain within 5 miles of the beach 99% of the time.
I bring shorts and a tank top and change in my car after work so I don't cook dirving home.
60 MPG is worth a little creativity now that gas is $3+ a gallon.
Plus I feel more relaxed in these clothes.
Just becuase you have AC, that doesn't mean you have to use it.
Besides feeling hot can feel good, it's all in your head.
Humans existed millions of years before AC - at least you don't have to walk.

I've had my hybrid since April of 2004.
At first I did hear a few horns, saw a few blinking brights - but no middle fingers.
But something magic happend 8 weeks later - that all just stopped.
All the irritated drivers trying to teach me how to drive "right" just vanished the day I got my customized license plates that read: "SIP GAS"
Nobody even tailgates me anymore.
They take one look at my plates and get as far away from me as they can.

I just can't imagine why.

I recently showed another hybrid owner how to improve her MPG.
I drove her car and got 62 MPG on my commute (with two people in the car) - she said if she hadn't seen it with her own eyes she wouldn't have believed it.
She said she learned from me to not care TOO much about others behind her.
Besides plenty of drivers race, tailgate, weave in and out of traffic and drive as if they don't give a crap about others in front of or to the side of them already.

Sure there is a fine line, but the really high MPGs require a certain resolve, confidence and (dare I say) selfishness.
I'd never go 50 on a one lane flat country road.
I'd be killed.

One other thing that improves my MPG is I have given up the sense of ownership of the space in front of my car.
Everyone else tailgates so nobody can pull in front of them.
This is a MAJOR MPG killer.
You are constantly speeding up and braking to "protect your territory".
Also when you don't care that people pull in front of you your blood pressure drops - you relax.
It's wonderful.

Yes, I am a man on a mission.
There are more obnoxious people on more obnoxious missions.

No Hummer has driven over me yet.
They are more car-crazy than I.
I've never been to california so for me to comment about anything there - especially driving conditions - would not be ok. Coming from Miami, however, I can tell you that it simply isn't possible to do any of those things. Traffic is either moving 70 or 5. Just this morning I had a woman honk at me repeatedly for driving 45 in a 45 zone. The second time, I slammed on the brakes and hoped she would hit me so I could get out and beat her to death...

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I need anger management? Probably so, but either way its exceedingly difficult to get good mileage where I live. My best ever was yesterday actually where I got 63.9 in the morning and 55.8 on the way home.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
I've never been to california so for me to comment about anything there - especially driving conditions - would not be ok. Coming from Miami, however, I can tell you that it simply isn't possible to do any of those things. Traffic is either moving 70 or 5. Just this morning I had a woman honk at me repeatedly for driving 45 in a 45 zone. The second time, I slammed on the brakes and hoped she would hit me so I could get out and beat her to death...

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I need anger management? Probably so, but either way its exceedingly difficult to get good mileage where I live. My best ever was yesterday actually where I got 63.9 in the morning and 55.8 on the way home.
63.9 and 55.8 are superb.

Sure some people live where they can't hypermile.
Some people have to drive hills all the time.
Still, a hybrid will bet better MPG than a conventional car in those conditions too.
Look on the bright side.