Is Lakedude really getting 60mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Talking Is Lakedude really getting 60mpg?

Check out his stats...

https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/...fe-crisis.html

Lakedude, if you are reading this tell us your secrets. Dude says he got 66.3mpg in April. WOW!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Lakedude really getting 60mpg?

I don't doubt his achievement in the slightest.
Personally, I'm not as skilled driver as he is, but noticed yesterday that I'm over 650 miles on my current tank and still about 1/2 full. Not bad so far!

Old 04-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Wait for his next two tanks to be posted... Maybe it was a single high tank and the average will come back in line.

Or it's excellent driving!

Regards,

Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Steve, and to think i was happy to notice I was at 400 and still had a little gas sloshing around.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:49 PM

i know..i've exceeded 500 mi on only one tank so far..but have come close many times.

i guess the smaller tank doesnt help me

Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

What will you all accept as proof? I've got a digital camera, a log, a video camera and gas receipts.

A second shift job is the biggest reason my numbers are as good as they are. Traffic is light going to work and very light going home at midnight. I usually drive 45mph even when the limit is higher. Driving that speed maximizes mpg and only adds about 5 minutes to my 18 mile commute.

My last tank was dreadful and knocked me out of the top spot by several places. There is no way I could maintain the 45mph speed on such a long trip as it would have added hours to the drive.

If it does not rain the next tank will be back over 60 again. In fact if it warms up and does not rain I might break 70mpg. That second to last tank at 66mpg calculated was 71.5 on the display, got a picture floating around on one of my computers somewhere.......I'll try to find it an post it......

https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/fi...ordtank715.jpg

Last edited by lakedude; 05-03-2005 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Add link to Record tank pic
Old 05-03-2005, 08:45 AM

Drool... ..

Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 AM

I believe you, I just wanted to know how you were doing it. I just got my first tank above 50mpg. I'm telling you I feel great about it. I don't feel like I drove any differently than my previous four 45mpg tanks. But I'll take it.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Are you on your way to 100mpg?

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I don't doubt his achievement in the slightest.
Personally, I'm not as skilled driver as he is, but noticed yesterday that I'm over 650 miles on my current tank and still about 1/2 full. Not bad so far!

Old 05-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by bigbearballs
I believe you, I just wanted to know how you were doing it. I just got my first tank above 50mpg. I'm telling you I feel great about it. I don't feel like I drove any differently than my previous four 45mpg tanks. But I'll take it.
Congrats on breaking 50. The warmer weather is likely the reason your last tank was better.

I've posted my methods before but I'll be happy to list them again so you can see how I do it. Remember I have a huge advantage working second shift and another advantage not living were it is super cold. Mileage suffers in the cold and in the rain.

My previous car had a "game gauge" so I was already trained somewhat to drive for mileage.

1) The most important thing it get good MPG is to drive slow (40-45 mph) in top gear reguardless of the speed limit.

2) Knowing your route is important as it allows you to plan ahead for hills and stops.

3) Knowing your car is important as well.

4) If you are comfortable (feel it is safe) engine off coasting helps a lot on downhills and before coming to a stop. Auto-stop is a non issue in my car because the car is normally already off before auto-stop would kick in.

5) Anticipate hills, speeding up before the hill so you can get up hopefully without the need to downshift. Of course some hills are too steep or long for this to work.

6) Crest hills at minimum speed allowing the downhill to speed you back up. I try to climb hills in 5th gear until just before the crest then I shut the car off before the top barely making it over the hill. This one depends on the hill and traffic and how late you are running.

7) If the hills are too shallow to move the car ICE off I try and crest them at the minimum speed the car will go in top gear and apply only a small amount of power on the downhill side.

8) Anticipate stops and try not to stop by timing lights. If you know you gotta stop you can cut the ICE off and coast so that you waste the least amount of energy to friction brakes. Sometimes I'll coast a ways ICE off then cut the car back on for regen then cut it back off again after regen cuts off.

9) Keep your tire pressue up.

10) Keep as much speed in turns as you feel safe with.

There are other things you can do that I do not do:

1) Accelerating slowly will help but I find that way to boring and it does not help that much.

2) Drafting can help a lot but it is dangerous and it is also hard to find some one to draft that is only going 45mph. You will save more by going 45 then you will by drafting someone at 70.

3) They say Mobile 1 helps but I'm running 0w Honda Oil.

4) In the cold a warm air mod might help but it might also over heat your engine.

Last edited by lakedude; 06-29-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Lakedude really getting 60mpg?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands