Interesting AutoStop Experience!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Interesting AutoStop Experience!

I had an unusual (but good) thing happen today. I was at a light in autostop mode. The car in front of me crept forward and I was fooled into thinking the light had changed, so I started moving forward. This has (in past) resulted in the engine restarting and staying running. I believe you have to move at 7mph or above and stop again before it will repeat autostop. Well, I only went 2 mph... and only for a second... and it went back into autostop! Tried it again at 1 mph just to see if it was repeatible... and it was! This wasn't just easing off the brakes... I was completely off, and the engine did restart both times.

Perhaps this means we can creep forward in traffic and not risk losing autostop? Any idea why this was "allowed" this time?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Interesting AutoStop Experience!

If you're in AS, start engine, go 3 ft, stop again by breaking and keep the brake for 3-4 seconds, AS will engage (but only few times.. I dont know how many times...

Old 04-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

It may have to do with the amount of brakes you use. On the '04 HCH, if you sit on the breaks or need to creep through traffic, the engine will kick in to refresh the brake vacuum.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 AM
World's First Hybrid

If I'm in heavy stop/go traffic that is just creeping along, I'll put the trans into "S" so the auto stop is disengaged. This keeps the ICE from starting and stopping many, many times....

Old 04-21-2006, 06:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I had an unusual (but good) thing happen today. I was at a light in autostop mode. The car in front of me crept forward and I was fooled into thinking the light had changed, so I started moving forward. This has (in past) resulted in the engine restarting and staying running. I believe you have to move at 7mph or above and stop again before it will repeat autostop. Well, I only went 2 mph... and only for a second... and it went back into autostop! Tried it again at 1 mph just to see if it was repeatible... and it was! This wasn't just easing off the brakes... I was completely off, and the engine did restart both times.

Perhaps this means we can creep forward in traffic and not risk losing autostop? Any idea why this was "allowed" this time?
Yeah, I've seen this happen also lately, now that the weather is warmer. A few other things I've seen happen:

When I pull into my garage, often I don't have enough speed to get AS. But if I reach down and stick it into neutral, often it will then AS. Don't have a clue as to why.

When at a stop light and doing a "forced" AS because the engine isn't warmed up yet, turn the key off and then right back on before the engine quits turning. The car will come back on without the "starter" - makes sense since it uses the 20 hp motor to start normally. Same thing will happen if driving and trying a FAS.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:04 AM

I was under the impresison that the logics allow up to 3 stops within 10 seconds before AS is disabled.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Man, who sold you guys your car...hehehe. Some where in the manual or the quick start guide it explains that you are able to have the vehicle go into autostop two additional times if you move forward and keep your speed under 8 mph. Once you go over 8 mph, this sequence is reset and when you come to a full stop again and go into autostop, the vehicle again will allow you to move forward two additional times if you pull forward under 8 mph.

The wording is strange in the guide if I remember correctly and it took a few readings of the info for me to understand what Honda meant.

Old 04-21-2006, 03:52 PM

My car functions the same way. Several auto stop modes while at a creeping intersection.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:16 PM

Guess I should read my manual... huh? Sorry! Been spending more time on the NAV manual than on the vehicle one!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by toast64
When I pull into my garage, often I don't have enough speed to get AS. But if I reach down and stick it into neutral, often it will then AS. Don't have a clue as to why.
So, what's going on here? Tonight I really tested it - pulled into the garage slowly, below 7 mph as usual. Car did not autostop, probably because I was riding the brakes, maybe pumping them, as I pulled up the driveway and squared myself to enter. Once in the garage, sat there for , oh, a good 5 seconds. No AS. Shift into neutral, bang - AS. It's either programmed to do that or it has something to do with unloading the engine...

Quick Reply: Interesting AutoStop Experience!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands