IMA battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA battery problem?

I have 06 HCH with 76,000 miles on it. I've had this problem for awhile now where battery gauge level drops bottom and doesn't assist at all. I've taken to the shop several times but they couldn't fix it. I've also replaced a dc converter which was on recall. I'm not really sure it's a internal software causing this or simply it's time to replace the battery. Any help?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA battery problem?

Another one bites the dust...

At least they told you they couldnt fix it... In my case they say that all the HCH from the same age are like that and that it's working as expected.

Today I almost got hit doing a left turn on traffic, with my wife and 2 kids on the car. The car crawled out of the way even with my foot to the floor. And there was plenty of space, not that I rushed it...

31MPG

Grrrrrr

2006, 61000Mi and cannot wait to dump it.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Enthusiast

In April of 2010 my 06 HCH with less than 24K had a problem with the IMA. The SoC would frequently drop from 5-7 bars to 2 bars, go into forced regen and have absolutely no IMA assist. This made the car dangerous to drive if the IMA would stop functioning at a critical moment. Also, the MPG dropped to around 39-40 due to the increasing periods of no IMA assist and forced regens

The dealer (where I bought it) had their mechanics check it out and drive if for a few days. There were no error codes so Honda America said that the car was operating properly. The mechanic knew that it was not right but Honda America would not agree to change the IMA battery. After some back and forth the dealer gotHonda America to agree to a "good will" replacement of the IMA battery, which was about a $3,000 expense. Since then all has been operating well and I continue to get around 44MPG.

Honda America is very reluctant to cover the replacement of degraded but not totally failed IMA batteries, which appears to be what you are experiencing. The battery should be replaced under warranty but that is unlikely to happen. You might try to negotiate a reduced rate or possibly try an outside source for the IMA battery. There seem to be several companies providing replacements.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast

I guess replacing the IMA battery is the only thing I can do at this point as you suggested. Then I'll have to consider selling the car unfortunately.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is it effecting the performance and your FE! If not it should be fine until warning codes show up that your Pack is toast. At that time Honda will replace it. It will cost much more to replace other parts of the car! Why so much emphases on the pack. They can be repair like anything else. You have a good auto, enjoy it!!! H

Old 07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Enthusiast

I mean obviously it is affecting the performance when the IMA is not operated. I really need to rev up high to keep up with traffic. I also find it rather difficult to accelerate from complete stop especially on a up hill.
Last time I put in the shop they told me that the car needs front breaks replaced($275), and both front lower control arm bushings are cracked and torn ($390), and it needs alignment fixed. Plus I've spent well over $1500 just for fixing up the car since end of last summer, and considering the replacement of IMA battery in a year or two at the earliest seems little too much.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oh ,I'm sorry about my comments! I did not think it would effect the car so drastically. I am not sure I have ever encountered this kind of issue. I don't do much city driving and have never noticed a power loss. Man , you have had lots of big issues with your Honda! Roads must be rough in your area? H

Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah I know hah I have no idea how I torn control arm bushings tho. I live in VA. The roads here are mostly nice pavement so I wouldn't call them rough but there are many hills. I actually do a lot of city driving so power loss can directly affect the performance of the car, but once I get on highway I don't really need to worry about it.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast

What has been posted about the power loss when the IMA goes south is a real problem. I have experienced it and ask that anyone else that has also, to post here. The more people complain the better the chance of getting a voice with the folks at Honda.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had the same problem. About four months ago I purchased a 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid with 83,000 miles on it. I did all the research on it, and
I know there are problems with the IMA Battery. My situation is a little different. My vehicle is salvaged, which I didnt know voided all warranties. I drove about 4000 miles and that dreaded IMA Light and Check Engine came on. I took it to the dealership and yes they said it needed a new battery cost $3,400. I did some research and found Victor at http://www.rochatek.com/hybridmd/index.htm. I talked with Victor and he seemed really knowledgeable. I drove to his location he took out my old battery, I rented a replacement. It took him about 10 days to diagnose, recondition, and replace two indivdual packs. I spent about $575. after everything was done. Compare that to $3400.00. I would reach out to him.

Quick Reply: IMA battery problem?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands