ICE making tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default ICE making tapping noise

Have noticed lately that the internal combustion engine sounds like the valves are out of adjustment and hear clatter and tabbing, called the dealer and asked it the 1.3 needs to have this done like older Honda’s that I've had and get mixed results from them. Some say No, and other say after 110,00 miles?? Anyone know for sure? 2003 HCH CVT 69,000 miles.

Thanks,

Tony

Old 02-27-2006, 01:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE making tapping noise

Sounds about just right at 60,000+ miles when you will start hearing more ticking and knocking under the hood. Unless it starts to really annoy you then you should have them adjust the valve clearances, otherwise stick with honda's 110,000 mile recommendation.

Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I recall, the 2006 calls for it at 110.000 mi ... if it makes noise

Old 02-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supertone
Have noticed lately that the internal combustion engine sounds like the valves are out of adjustment and hear clatter and tabbing, called the dealer and asked it the 1.3 needs to have this done like older Honda’s that I've had and get mixed results from them. Some say No, and other say after 110,00 miles?? Anyone know for sure? 2003 HCH CVT 69,000 miles.

Thanks,

Tony
This might be a dumb question. But have checked the oil level just to make sure you aren't running low. Sometimes a low oil level can cause "clattering"

Old 03-01-2006, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

True, if your oil level is too low , you may not get enough lubrication and your valves will "chatter more", if your oil level is okay, it could be your oil pump, although highly unlikely, you can check this by checking your oil level first, then start your car for a few seconds, then turn your car off, then check your oil level again; if the oil level is lower this time then your oil pump is working okay.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

Oil level is fine, in fact just had the dealer change it. This seems to only happen when the car is cold and becomes less noticeable when warmed up. I guess I'll have the valves adjusted and see if that’s it.

Tony

Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does it get worse/louder when you revv the engine up?
if not, then I would not worry too much about it, it's probably normal wear as the vavles get loose. If it doesnt annoy you too much i would just stick to honda's valve adjusting schedule; but if you're worried about it, adjusting the valves wont hurt either.

good luck