I need an excuse list...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 05:52 AM
Keepin it hyper yo
Default I need an excuse list...

I'm going to be embarking on a road trip later this week with the wife and kids, and I proposed putting the car seats in the HCH and taking that car rather than her Passat which pales in comparison when it comes to fuel efficiency.

Here's the dillema. I've recently done a couple of really good tanks and my goal is to continuously get above 65 mpg henceforth. As we all know, to accomplish that feat requires driving which, shall we say is not ordinary. One thing I've thought of is simply taking smaller, back roads so I can actually drive the speed limit, but once on the highway, I really can't drive more than 55 without tanking the mileage. How can I spin this so the drive doesn't seems excrutiatingly painful for her?

Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I need an excuse list...

Well you can always tell her that , "Honey how about a nice piece of jewelry with the money we saved in fuel"? ok so you cant get a diamond with the savings from a tank of gas,.........come to think of it, with the price of gas now...........Good luck. Dean

Old 09-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You just have to bite the bullet and use the AC and drive like a normal person. I hate doing it, but you have to realize we are some sort of freaks and most people do not understand our infatuation with mpg.

Old 09-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Keepin it hyper yo

Dean, that is funny you mention that. I just bought her diamond earrings when our second child arrived, so it's too late for that

Jeff, c'mon, that is rolling over and playing dead. based on your username, you gotta show some - lol. Actually, AC shouldn't be the problem, we are heading north. Its the speed thing (or lack of it). The freak thing might work. "Hey I'm a freak. You are stuck with me. deal."

... somehow I have to get her excited (read: obsessed) about the mileage thing too.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jahwerx
I really can't drive more than 55 without tanking the mileage. How can I spin this so the drive doesn't seems excrutiatingly painful for her?
Do what I do ... open up the laptop and watch a couple of movies during the trip.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

If your wife doesn't suspect your **** retentiveness in maximizing mpg, you could say, "You know honey, life moves by so fast, whatd'ya say we take the scenic route? And because I love you and the kids, I'm going to drive very responsibly to maxamize our safety."

If she says, "Oh darling, I married the best man in the world" Well, you're in buddy.

If she says, "That's #@$% and you know it. You don't care about us, you just want to get the most %$#@ mileage you can out of that POS Honda." In that case the jigs up and you have to take the mileage hit.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The wife doesn't mind the slow driving, she's gotten used to that. It's not having the AC on in 99 temps that she can't stand. I can understand that much. Last night I got away with driving with the windows down, but I am afraid to do a FAS with her in the car. Anyone gotten that far?

Old 09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

On a recent trip, to and from Baltimore from central NJ, I got 62 mpg, with two kids in the car. It was hot, and we used the AC nominally (not continuously). I drove at the speed limit 55-65). I would've done better, but had a headwind (15-20mph) on the outbound trip.

Check the air pressure in the tires before you leave and assure that they are at the upper limit that you can tolerate (I run mine at 44 psi, the sidewall rating, all the time).

Have a good trip!

Old 09-19-2005, 09:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

but I am afraid to do a FAS with her in the car. Anyone gotten that far?
[img]../images/spacer.gif[/img]
Don't let that one get taken out of context

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Keepin it hyper yo

Originally Posted by Wangofree
If your wife doesn't suspect your **** retentiveness in maximizing mpg, ....
Oh, she doesn't only suspect it, she KNOWS it.

Merf, The laptop thing is perfect. I almost forgot (I even have a 12V car adapter, plus GPS/maps for it!). HOURS OF ENDLESS entertainment! Taking the focus off the slow car is key, and this is just the way to get it done. Of course this could backfire, since I'm sure my son will want to watch nothing but the Wiggles . . .

Oh, I'll be FASing away!! Its simply second nature now. I'll be like "LOOK! A California Condor" [switch car off, on] "Oh wait, maybe just a buzzard, never mind". Restarting the car with a manual is more subtle, no need to touch the key.

Quick Reply: I need an excuse list...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands