I just did the shindig

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I just did the shindig

Yep, me, of all people. After nearly deciding against Honda and putting my trust in one last dealer. I drove from Irvine, CA to San Diego to pay for my HCH-II. Wow, what an experience!!!

First, he quoted me in writing 9 weeks ago the OTD price of $26,023. When I arrived today, I decided to trade my truck in instead of selling it. They determined the trade-in value to be $6,610 from the Blue Book but because my fleet manager was a former Toyato guy, he "convinced" them to give me $7k instead. They were about to increase my MSRP on me (from the agreed upon in writing they quoted me for which I exchanged a deposit) to $24,300 but I told them that where I come from you honor what you put in writing and they decided to stick with $23,900. There was no argument, it was a simple statement and they agreed (though they really didn't want to).

Then we discussed warranty. They wanted to offer me a 5 year 60k Honda Care for $1,595 with a $100 deductible. I told them about www.hondawarrantyinfo.com and www.myhondawarranty.com and browsed the system with them and so the $920/$980 prices. I had a very tense argument with the salesman about how only Honda can offer genuine Honda care and all these Internet places aren't the same thing. I told them I am well researched and when push comes to shove, I'll go without (regarding tonights purchasing experience with them). They were kicking and screaming and finally he said he's just the salesman and I will have to address it with the finance officer.

My wife and I talked and were ready for hell on this. He brought us in the room and offered me what they call the "platinum" Honda Care 7 year 120k miles for $945 w/o deductible. That was it, not discussion or debate. So I accepted it. He said its because I was going to purchase it from somewhere and he'd rather it be him so he gave me a favorable price. I could have done 8 years but with since I reached 103k in 6 years with this truck, one year of it I didn't drive much at all, I figured by 7 years I'll have reached the 120k so no sense paying an extra $100 for the 8-year plan.

Then, He gave me the Lo-Jack and early warning package for $595 (down from their $895 norm) and the auto dimming mirror thing for $350 (down from their $400+ norm) and the moonroof for $1,145 (he originally quoted my by accident his cost of $895 and felt so bad after 5 weeks of constant confirmation then one day it changed to $1,400 so he fought toothe and nail with his general manager to discount for me).

I ended up paying $29,400 total including the splash guards, mats, wheel locks, and other stuff I put in. The blue interior ilumination and so on. I put $8,500 down (cash) and the $7k trade in then finance the rest through my CU @ 5.0% APR for a grand payment of $261 or whatever for 5 years. I'll have it paid off in no time.

Anyway, I enjoyed the experience, I expected the worst and really got a discount on everything I purhcased and an increase in trade-in value. I was there for 3 hours only (mostly talking about whatever or waiting on the finance officer).

I'm paid. Now, I pick the car up sometime next week.

HCH-II Mag Pearl w/NAVI
Wheel locks
Splash Guards
Interior lighting kit
all season mats
moonroof with motor and fliptop option
auto dimming mirrors
Lo-jack (by choice) w/early warning system (by choice)
7-year 120k mile Honda Care without deductible
other stuff I can't think of

$29,400 out-the-door

There was a leather option but I didn't opt for it, don't rememner the price, $995?? or something like that. The leather is contracted to a 3rd party.

Pacific Honda, San Diego, Peter Karmaninski (fleet manager)

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited by shawnb; 06-16-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I just did the shindig

CONGRATS!!! Great to hear you were finally able to get one. I cannot believe the trouble people are having getting one of these. But, people in Cali get perks like driving in the HOV lanes. Here in Chicago, there is no perk except saving gas. So, it is a different market. You can find them on the lot not already presold usually.

When the moonroof option it is the type that opens and go inside the roof like the regular moonroofs that Honda makes or is the the type that pops up and slides...like the old Acura Integra?

Also, the leather option that gave you is a really good deal. Most places charge more thand $1000 for it. But, depends on the company that makes the leather kit.

Last edited by exbauer; 06-17-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I dont' know about the moonroof (yet). I'll find out when I get it. But I'm under the impression that its just like the ones in the current standard Civics.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

great color! Personally, I would not have done the moonroof because it's like an aftermarket one and I would not trust anyone outside the factory to be cutting body panels, interior trim etc etc.

Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by exbauer
Also, the leather option that gave you is a really good deal. Most places charge more thand $1000 for it. But, depends on the company that makes the leather kit.
I think the leather and the moonroof is straight out of Honda's parts inventory. In fact, the canadian Acura CSX offers all these luxury parts as you may verify below:

Canadian Acura Site

For those of you who may not familiar with this long standing trick, the Acura CSX is a Repackaged 2006 Honda Civix EX- Just as the Acura EL had been in the previous two Civic generations.

Best regards;

MS

Old 06-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

This particular Honda fully backs the moonroof installation. Done by a 3rd party, but as I understood it, done in the Service dept. shop across the street. Honda's warranty covers it and according to all the people there I spoke with, they've been doing these moonroofs for 12 years now. I'm fine with it.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-17-2006, 03:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shawnb
This particular Honda fully backs the moonroof installation. Done by a 3rd party, but as I understood it, done in the Service dept. shop across the street. Honda's warranty covers it and according to all the people there I spoke with, they've been doing these moonroofs for 12 years now. I'm fine with it.

Thanks,
Shawn
Hope it works out for you. While the dealer may back it, I'm almost certain it's not a Honda factory sanctioned accessory/install. Since you're not in the salt belt, I don't think you have to worry as much about rust or clogged drainage holes (or even rain for that matter)

Old 06-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

It wasn't something I take lightly. I had 9 weeks to think about it. I think a company called American Sunroof does the install. I'll have to look up their track record. There's plenty of rain around here. But I'm not overly concerned.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 06-18-2006, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, you load up you car! Congrats on winning the battle with these guys. I hate dealers because they'll try and scam you every step of the way. Good for you that you went in there knowledgable and didn't fall for any of the traps!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Texas911, thanks for the kind words. Yes, it really pays to be knowledgable. I was very suprised when they matched the extended warranty price but I insisted and they saw for themselves the online things were Honda Care and they truly wanted as much money as possible from me. But they compromised in everyway imaginable. I don't think there was one thing where I compromised. But my wife commented how stressless working with them was. I *almost* felt more like a business transaction with options than a fiasco.

I verified once again about the moonroof. They said Honda doesn't manufacture their standard Civics with a moonroof. They have them all 3rd party installed after arrival from the Port. The Hybrid I'm having rigged up, is being installed by the same people who install the other moonroof.

If this is truly the case, than I really don't have any concerns.

Someone warned me about the top of the roofs being a solar conductor for recharging the battery, is this true of the Civic Hybrid or just the Prius?

Thanks,
Shawn

Quick Reply: I just did the shindig

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands