Hybrid: New Beetle of 2006s

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid: New Beetle of 2006s

I read in some place that Hybrid drivers has become the new Beetle drivers of 1970s.
I like to see what you all thing of this comment.
Will we be remembered as the cool ones on 2000s in the future?

I know this treat has not much functionality, but just for fun.

Erease this tread Mr. Forum Master, if you like.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid: New Beetle of 2006s

Originally Posted by TheTurk
I read in some place that Hybrid drivers has become the new Beetle drivers of 1970s.

True for me. I had a Beetle in the 70s and I have an HCH. Never thought the Beetle was particularly cool. Just a good workhorse.

Old 02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Hybrid: New Beetle of 2006s

Hi;

I read the same thing but cannot remember exactly what the article was in.

I had many-many Beetles and so did my two brothers back then. Infact I was considering the Purchase of a new Beetle TDI with the DSG Trans. I backed off once I got to be a Member of that Forum and soon learned that VW's have No-Reliability Period and the Dealers are a Real Joke. Sad but true.

Civic hybrids, I have had one already and now waiting for the 2006 HCH II to get to the dealer as we speak.

Go Honda

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-10-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

lol... awesome. it's been said element drivers are akin to the vw bus drivers of the 60's and 70s (with many older drivers who actually drove the busses in the 60's and 70's).

this means when i get my hch2, i'll be both a bus and a beetle driver.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Vegetarian

I was thinking you ment hybrids get the same reaction as the new beetle (not the original) did when they first came out, everyone was freaking out over them. Am I the only one who thinks the Beetle should be restyled? To me it looks exactly the same as it did when it came out in 1998.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just missed the 60's-early 70's Beetle era as far as car owning but I had the tiny '80 Honda Civic 2 door hatchback which was pretty similar size to the Bug. Voted for John Anderson in '80 so had to move up to a Volvo in the '80s and '90s but now back to my roots- a 2006 HCH.

Old 02-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, I had a New Beetle - a 2000 GLS. I currently have a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid and no, I don't consider them the same. First of all, when the New Beetle came out, everyone noticed you when you were driving one. When I got my HCH, no one noticed. We even have a HCH 2006 added to our family and the same thing, no one notices it is a hybrid. Now, the 2006 gets more looks because of the style since its a CIVIC.

Do I think hybrid owners are more forward thinking? Yes. New Beetle Owners weren't forward thinking, we were retro- trying to recapture something from the past, while hybrid owners are looking to the future and helpgin pave the wave for less dependance on oil and cleaner air.

Just my 3 cents worth. Make it a great one!

Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM
YA RLY.

HCH's are too low key to get attention. The aero pie-plate wheels whisper the car's intent, but it only speaks to the uninformed if you have a non-hybrid Civic with its sportier 16" 5-spokers nearby for comparison. For obvious reasons, only Insights and Prius get the immediate stares.

But I don't mind driving a "Stealth Beetle"

Old 02-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Enthusiast

I can sepak with some authority on the subject of the Bettle. I had my first (the third in the Chicago area) in 1954. Paid $1200 for it brand new.

The three previous autos I have owned prior to my current 2005 Element and my new 2006 HCH were a 2002 Beetle TDI, a 2002 Beetle TDI which I traded for a 2004 Beetle convertible. The convertible became the Element by virture of a nice trade-in price and the 2002 diesel was traded on my new HCH. In addition to these three, I have owner several other Beetles, including a 1958.

I don't consider myself on the cutting edge of car ownership, but I do know unique and able cars when I see them and own them.

The Beetles were all very able, safe, road reliable, self maintaining, especially the diesels;and gave great value for money, as cars are concerned. As well, they were all economical to operate and maintain.

Sound familiar? Sure, for the Honda hybrid meets all of these factors, but to a higher degree than the Beetle. As good as the Beetles were, the HCH is superior in all respects, in my opinion (caveat: new owner). If the HCH gives me the ease of ownership that my Beetles did, I will be more than satisfied.

So, in answer to the question: in my case, at least, the Honda hybrid has become my Beetle of the future!

Old 02-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheTurk

I also read this somewhere...but its not Hybrid drivers...its Prius drivers. Prius, with its unique design, can easily be distinguished and can therefore qualify as the new "beetle". Honda civic hybrids can look like any other civics, so I wont consider them as the new beetle.

Quick Reply: Hybrid: New Beetle of 2006s

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands