How does weight of passengers affect mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How does weight of passengers affect mileage?

Originally Posted by HemiSync
I agree that more weight equals less mpg but you can do a few things to counteract it. I drive by the IFCD and just adjust my foot to maintain the norm even when carrying additional weight. You will drive a little slower for it but not hugely so. Also, as Fly351 suggested, it does seem to give you more momentum in the car so use it to your advantage. Of course your tires will have to properly inflated to experience the increased coasting.

I don't have a lot of experience as I usually drive alone but spent a couple weeks with my folks, and while I didn't experience a large drop off in mpg, I did have to compensate with some fancy footwork.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is IFCD? Thanks.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Instantaneous Fuel Consumption Display

Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Thank you, msantos. That sure is a mouthful, but now I understand that that is what I've been staring at on the dashboard since the day I got my hybrid!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msantos
Originally Posted by boplives
Thank you, msantos. That sure is a mouthful, but now I understand that that is what I've been staring at on the dashboard since the day I got my hybrid!
And now you know why people abbreviate it. I keep saying that if someone would create a cruise control that works off the IFCD I would be in heaven. When driving on the interstate I would set it for about 60 mpg and just let her go from there.

~
Hmmm, Have you ever wondered why the word, abbreviate, is such a long word?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

..... I keep saying that if someone would create a cruise control that works off the IFCD I would be in heaven. When driving on the interstate I would set it for about 60 mpg and just let her go from there.
Except you would have everyone in the world running up your tail pipe up any hill.

Hypermiling is fine, but we have to interact with all the other wackos on the road without creating even more safety hazards.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

And now you know why people abbreviate it. I keep saying that if someone would create a cruise control that works off the IFCD I would be in heaven. When driving on the interstate I would set it for about 60 mpg and just let her go from there.

~
What a novel idea. You set your cruise for the mpg that you want to get and let the car decide how to drive. There have got to be some engineers who could design this. Of course, you wouldn't want to do it in heavy traffic, but then you probably don't want to use the current cruise control in those situations either.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by holicow
Except you would have everyone in the world running up your tail pipe up any hill.

Hypermiling is fine, but we have to interact with all the other wackos on the road without creating even more safety hazards.
As I said this would be for driving on the interstate not city driving. As for people running up your tailpipe, I say let them. The one added feature to this would be to set a min & max speed along with the mpg feature. I was doing this manually on my 2200 mile trip last week and had no real problems with driving at 60mpg and not allowing my speed to drop below 50 mph. Only one person was really threatening over the entire trip and he was just being a d1ckh3ad in a p/u truck. There was 2 passing lanes and no reason to ride my bumper, flashing his lights other than to prove he was an idiot. He eventually jerked out from behind me and speed off into the distance. At one point in the trip I had a several people fall in line with me and we just cruised along for about an hour. I also encountered several truckers that were driving at about 55-60 mph which in the past was unheard of, so the price of fuel is starting to have its effect. The ones that pay for their own fuel are slowing down and the ones that don't are having the their throttles governed by the company.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

As I said this would be for driving on the interstate not city driving....
That might be fine for where you are, but around here we have hills. Now, if you include a minimum speed option, then I agree as long as you keep it within 5 mph of the speed limit.

Some people just want to hate hybrids, and there is no need to give them more ammunition by being a rolling roadblock.

I average over EPA estimates and generally exceed the speed limit . I drove my Insight at near or over 70 mph 75% of the time and still averaged 72.3 mpg over 16K mi (80% interstate) even in this rolling hilly area. It just takes paying attention.