Honda Hybrids Now Added to the Official Hybrid Car Tax Credit List:

Click on Link Below for Full Report:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1032

Great-News:

Terry

Old 06-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Hybrids Now Added to the Official Hybrid Car Tax Credit List:

Anyone know why the Prius gets a credit of $3150 while the HCH gets only $2100? Seems like we are getting stiffed.

Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
no more oil

birch

I have no idea. You bring up a valid point. I am no expert, but i believe it has something to do with the difference in the emissions vs the regular model. Again, i dont know. Others who have more experience with hybrids can answer that better......

Old 06-06-2006, 07:52 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: Honda Hybrids Now Added to the Official Hybrid Car Tax Credit List:

Originally Posted by birchman2
Anyone know why the Prius gets a credit of $3150 while the HCH gets only $2100? Seems like we are getting stiffed.
Great question ?

I think it is because the Credit is based on the difference between the (Gas-Civic) and the (HCH II) FE.

The Toyota Prius has No-Gas counter part. So it gets the Full Credit from the IRS.

Terry

Old 06-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birchman2
It was announced today that Toyota has already sold more than 60,000 hybrids this year. So as of October 1st the tax credit on Toyota hybrids will be cut in half. So there, you don't have to whine anymore.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast

I received a call from my Honda salesman yesterday to tell me about the tax credit. That's great service! He called me within hours of getting the information. The credit was better that he'd originally expected, but was on target with other predictions. The difference between the Honda and the Prius is their emissions score balanced with their estimated MPG. The rating for the HCH2: http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/E-HONDA-CivicHybrid-06.htm
The rating for the Prius:http://www.epa.gov/emissweb/E-TOYOTA-Prius-06.htm
I was surprised that the Prius received a lower score outside of CA & NY. The Feds lump them all together, though. It's got to be weighed as emissions per estimated mile driven.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

I posted a thread on the main forum (here originally).

The Civic is compared to other compact models from 2002. Since compacts tend to get great mileage over other classes of cars, the Civic only saves a little. The Prius saves more.

The SUV's area all compared to other SUV's. The forumula was rigged by Toyota.

The Camry Hybrid gets far better fuel economy (city-which is what it is based upon) than any 2002 mid-sized car, so it gets a great break. Same goes for the Lexus 400h and Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner too!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by mickster
I posted a thread on the main forum (here originally).

The Civic is compared to other compact models from 2002. Since compacts tend to get great mileage over other classes of cars, the Civic only saves a little. The Prius saves more.
You didn't mention that the 2006 Prius is considered a mid-size. So it saves more gas compared to a mid-size than the HCH saves compared to a compact.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
You didn't mention that the 2006 Prius is considered a mid-size. So it saves more gas compared to a mid-size than the HCH saves compared to a compact.
Ah! It all makes sense now.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ElanC
DOH!

I forgot it is a mid-size!!! The prior model was a compact-which actually might have affected the Civic-since it is a compact and the prior Prius was a compact in 2002!

UGH!!!!