Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)
Default Re: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
If it propels the vehicle with both ICE and an electric motor - it's a hybrid. That means Toyota, Honda, and Ford have hybrids - the GM Silverado is not.
ditto

Old 06-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
This topic was hammered out more than a year ago... Must have lost the thread.

IMO it's not a terribly productive debate to invent terms then argue over the definition. Any distinction between a full hybrid, semi hybrid, quadruple hybrid, or extra-special-double-secret-hybrid is lost on me. If the gas motor is augmented/assisted with an electric one, it's a hybrid. The sub-categories below that are simply variations in the manufacturers approach.
- Dean Wormer's car? Or was that the type of hybrid the guys drove through the parade?

Agreed 100%.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by rysa4
No its a fake hybrid.

The special thing about this car is that you can shut off fuel use while driving on the highway. I use cruise control all of the time. By hitting the decel steering wheel control, the MPG meter goes to 100 MPG; this can occur more frequently than one realizes, such as approaching turns on beltways, coasting UP ( yes up) inclines, and obviously cruising gliding from afar to various stop lights and inersections especially wehn coming off the freeway.

The ability to manually shut off fuel use when optimal is quite cool, and frankly, is second nature to me at this point-- its part of driving.

The toyota approach is different. More electric horsies until you hit a certain speed at which point your MPG drops like a lead ball ( check out their own graphs on this forum).

The Honda Hybrid is elegant; the Toyota Hybrid is a less sophisticated approach.

They both get the job done, and are part of the solution- but maybe too little too late when all is said and done.
- ALL modern fuel-injected vehicles shut off fuel when your foot is off the gas/CC is off. Verify this with an OBD2 reader- mpg maxes out on any vehicle, and emissions goes into 'open loop' operation.

- I agree with your comparison. But remember: "elegant" is often an engineering coverterm for a little more complex than we anticipated, but D*MN it looks sexy. Engineers like complexity- ego and prestige scale linearly with it; technicians (who have to fix it) hate complexity.

(No comment on HSD reliability; both systems are very likely to be able to more than suuport a full vehicle lifetime)

Old 06-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by gonavy
- ALL modern fuel-injected vehicles shut off fuel when your foot is off the gas/CC is off. Verify this with an OBD2 reader- mpg maxes out on any vehicle, and emissions goes into 'open loop' operation.
I believe the main difference with the Honda engines 3 stage VTEC is that the valves seal the chamber, limiting friction losses when coasting?

All cars will move forward in drive without your foot on the gas, HCH II included.... so the fuel is not always shut off.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Archslater
I believe the main difference with the Honda engines 3 stage VTEC is that the valves seal the chamber, limiting friction losses when coasting?

All cars will move forward in drive without your foot on the gas, HCH II included.... so the fuel is not always shut off.
Yes- pumping losses are reduced.

No- fuel is obviously not shut off at idle. But it is shut off when the car is already rolling with some speed and can sustain engine rotation through reverse coupling in the tranny. At some point, around 1000rpm, the engine starts to lug down, and the injectors re-open to 'keep it alive'. Its also why there is an idle air motor- to force air into the cylinders at low/no speed.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 AM
World's First Hybrid

Oh, by the way, has anyone noticed that little logo that's attached to the back of the car that rhymes with "schmybrid"...... Why would they stick it there if it weren't true??? Otherwise, I'd get one for my '51 Fire Chief and it could be a hybrid too....

Old 06-23-2006, 08:01 AM

Where does hybrid say the other motor has to be electric? A hybrid by definition means more than one source of power... and that the other source be of an alternate type (not the same). I'm not sure if the silverado uses a hydrolic energy system but if it does, why is that not a hybrid?

Old 06-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

The Silverado generates electricity while stationary, has auto-stop (I think). When in motion, it's no different than a conventional ICE pickup so the hybrid label is deceptive.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 AM

Who cares if my hybrid is "true" or not.

I average 61.3 MPG.
That's true enough for me.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 AM

enough. no more back&forth about what is or is not a hybrid- what's the contribution being made?

We all have access to a dictionary and can lookup the definition; the 'spirit' of what a hybrid vehicle is is much more subjective, varies from one person to another, and debating it here serves little use. Especially when there have been many other threads on the exact same question.

Now, if there is a specific question or further comment concerning the HCH specifically, let's get on with it. If not, let the thread go.

Quick Reply: Is Honda Civic Hybrid a True Hybrid?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands