Here's to those that had a bad 1st tank MPG

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 07:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Here's to those that had a bad 1st tank MPG

Got my HCH2 last week...and I expected to get okay MPG for the first tank since the whole 300 miles break in period the car needs various RPM's . So I showed friends how it worked and pushed the RPMs up on occassions up to 3 or 4. I honestly attempted to drive it like a normal car and even took it on the expressway everyday pushing it over 75 and then going in to the first lanes when I wasnt rushing.

I filled up after reaching a half tank and got 51.0 MPG on the dash and about 53.3 calculated from the gasoline receipt. Tires came in already inflated at around 40psi and I used A/C when needed.

Pretty impressive or just lucky???

Old 06-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Here's to those that had a bad 1st tank MPG

Sounds like luck to me. I only managed around 38 on my first and am heading to 40 or more on my second (long trip tomorrow should push it up).

Old 06-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast

with 4 passengers and some hilly driving, my first tankful was a 45.5 indicated and 46.6 calculated. For the first half tank that I was driving, I was at about 51-53 indicated then we literally went uphill from there (at 65-75 mph ).

For our second tank, we had an indicated 46.9 with a good bit of slow (offroad at times) uphill driving...

Old 06-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Enthusiast

First tank 50 mpg no a/c,last four tanks using a/c several days temps upper 80's to low 90's 55,56,57& 57 mpg's.Total of 6 tanks and 3200 miles in 4 weeks of ownership.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vincep5
Got my HCH2 last week...and I expected to get okay MPG for the first tank since the whole 300 miles break in period the car needs various RPM's . So I showed friends how it worked and pushed the RPMs up on occassions up to 3 or 4. I honestly attempted to drive it like a normal car and even took it on the expressway everyday pushing it over 75 and then going in to the first lanes when I wasnt rushing.

I filled up after reaching a half tank and got 51.0 MPG on the dash and about 53.3 calculated from the gasoline receipt. Tires came in already inflated at around 40psi and I used A/C when needed.

Pretty impressive or just lucky???
How many miles were on the vehicle when you took delivery? Did you take into account the total miles on the vehicle or just the miles after you took delivery? The dealer would have filled up the tank just before you took delivery, but they may not have reset the trip odometer. Another thing that could cause an error is a difference in fillups. The dealer could have topped off and you may have stopped at the first click. Both of these scenarios would inflate your mpg for a tank.

Anyway, if you continue to get good fuel economy after several tanks, good for you.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
The dealer would have filled up the tank just before you took delivery, but they may not have reset the trip odometer. Another thing that could cause an error is a difference in fillups. The dealer could have topped off and you may have stopped at the first click. Both of these scenarios would inflate your mpg for a tank.
Those factors would influence his calculated FE, but not the FE computed by the trip computer.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brick
Those factors would influence his calculated FE, but not the FE computed by the trip computer.
That's what I get for posting before I've had my first cup of coffee.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

my car had 9 miles on it and the MPG on the display was 38 point something. I just kept it and just drove away since I didnt know how to reset the meter. so even so the calculated will be off a little since I stop filling up when it clicks, the display on the car had 51MPG on the first fill up.

Im just glad that I can prove the haters that told me that I'll never get 50 MPG. and i accomplished it on my first half tank with many more to come.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast

My figures include dealer tank and all tanks were topped off. Car had 9 miles on it when i took delivery and trip odometer was reset by me at the gas station.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got my HCH2 over the weekend. I'm on my first tank still.

On the way home from dealership, ~50 miles away ... Got about 45mpg. Very rainy and horrible weather. Temp in 50's.

This morning.. one way trip to the office. 60mpg! Outside temp in the 60's. My jaw dropped to the floor.

I expect the trip back will be less though.. it is somewhat downhill driving to get to work.. so i'll be fighting the hills on the way back. I'm predicting around 46mpg. That is ok.. its the FE over the entire trip that counts, not a given point in time.

FYI I tried to maintain speed 60-65, though for certain stretches I was pushing 70mph or higher, especially where the downhill slope allowed, and I could minimize regen due to a full or near full battery.

The HCH2 is a total blast. I did notice however that FE suffers dramatically at very slow speeds and when stop and go.. but I guess autostop, plus use of electric glide at ~<25mph or slower can help offset that. Though it is darn hard to get electric mode to kick in at those slow speeds. Takes a conscious effort, a super super light foot, and some willingness to fight with it.

At 60mpg for that one way trip.. i'm only using 30% (or less) of the fuel my of 4 cyclinder 2000 Subaru Forester would burn. That is a substantial reduction in fuel use.

As a side comment. Even when I keep up with traffic, I think people get p'd off when they see Hybrid on the car. They automatically assume I'll drive 50mph and try to zoom past. Even if I am moving with the flow of traffic at 65mph ina 55 zone. Mmm.

-G

Quick Reply: Here's to those that had a bad 1st tank MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands