HCHII Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default HCHII Fuel Gauge

Curiosity here - I've been refuelling with about two bars left on the fuel gauge. I haven't seen a "low fuel" warning yet. When I fill up the tank it has taken between 9.8 and 10.0 gallons. Its a 12 gallon tank, so theoretically I've still got over 100 miles worth of gas to go in the tank when I fill up.

Curious about how far down people have taken their gauge, when the fuel warning comes on, gauge accuracy, how many gallons it takes to fill up from 1 bar or 0 bars.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCHII Fuel Gauge

Originally Posted by DigitalMan
Curiosity here - I've been refuelling with about two bars left on the fuel gauge. I haven't seen a "low fuel" warning yet. When I fill up the tank it has taken between 9.8 and 10.0 gallons. Its a 12 gallon tank, so theoretically I've still got over 100 miles worth of gas to go in the tank when I fill up.

Curious about how far down people have taken their gauge, when the fuel warning comes on, gauge accuracy, how many gallons it takes to fill up from 1 bar or 0 bars.
I've taken it down to zero bars. The low fuel light came on at either 1 bar or zero bars, I can't remember for sure. Even with zero bars though, it still only took 11.1 gallons.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Funny thing I also noticed that yesterday. With 2 bars left, I put in 35 liters (or 9.2 gallons).

Thanks,
Stephane.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I've taken it down to zero bars. The low fuel light came on at either 1 bar or zero bars, I can't remember for sure. Even with zero bars though, it still only took 11.1 gallons.
Heh! 0 Bars ... and less than a gallon of gas. That is refreshing. I am always nervous to let any of my vehicles get below or at empty in fear of getting stranded or damaging the engine by running out of gas.

Based on this post though it sounds like I will be very safe waiting until 1 bar or even less before filling up. ... that is before i read Stephane's post!

Last edited by tko4you; 12-22-2005 at 09:55 AM. Reason: recent post changed opinion
Old 12-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 AM

My guess is you have at least 15 miles you can drive on 0 bars. Figure on 1/2 a gallon. In my 03 I don't fill up till all the bars go out.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

You're going to get a variety of opinions on this one. Until you get to know your car (and maybe even after you do ), there's no absolute guarantee that X amount of gas is left at 0, 1 or 2 bars. Lots of variables at play (like, how much really went in the tank last fillup, etc.). When to fill up is a combination of what you observe in your car combined with your tollerance level. I personally don't watch the bars - I watch the mileage. In the summer I fill up after 550 miles on a tank, and closer to 500 in the winter. I've never put more than 11.6 gallons into my 13.1 gallon tank (lifetime average is 10.8 gallons per fillup). However, I can easily get stuck in 60 minute stop-and-go traffic jams with no way out. I just choose to not play it that close.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:41 PM

The low-fuel alarm comes on when about 10 to 10.2 gallons have been used up. It turns on when there are two bars remaining on the gauge, but not immediately. When your gauge gets down to two cars, after you drive a while it will eventually show the alarm. Then the last two bars go away very quickly but there's still two gallons left in the tank, you'll just drive with an empty gauge the rest of the time. It's unnerving but it is safe.

Oh, and do not top off! The 12.3 tank holds 12.3 gallons. When you put more in, the gas is being stored somewhere else, not in the 12.3 tank. I forget how it works exactly, but there's a reason Honda, the EPA, and the gas station all say not to top off.

Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

In my car, I have been at zero bars and drove for about 40-45 miles and only filled the tank with 10.5 gallons of gas at the click off. As far as being able to fit more gas in a tank, for example fitting 19 gallons in a 16 gallon tank, gas tanks have a reserve, or extra capicity. This is for several reason so that gas can expand and contract in changes in temp. and weather. Also, to allow more room for gas in the tank when the car is in different inclines. For example, if you fill a tank full of gas and go up a very steep hill the gas will change directions in the tank and the gas level will increase on one side or the other in the tank. The gas needs a place to go so this is why there is "extra" room in the tank. If you top off the tank there is no where for the gas to go, but find away out of the tank, usually around the gas cap or at the neck of the gas fill tube. Topping will not actually hurt your car in any way. The reason for not topping off is to prevent gas from spilling on the ground and therefore into the atmosphere. Gas spilled on the ground is an extreme pollutant into the atmosphere that evaporates and goes straight up and stays in the ozone layer.