HCH sales up, Prius down

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default HCH sales up, Prius down

The May figures from the manufacturers show that Honda sold 2890 Civic hybrids compared to 1895 in May last year. Toyota sold 8103 compared to 9461 last year.

The increase of 46% for the HCH could hint that they have ramped up production. Maybe the crashing sales of the Accord hybrid, down to 520 in May, allow them to produce more HCHs. Are they built at the same plant?

The drop for the Prius is puzzling because I'm sure they're selling as many as they can build. Productions delays? Is some capacity being sacrificed to the Camry hybrid?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH sales up, Prius down

I read a while back that H were backing off hybrid production. That may have been before gas really started to go through the roof. I think people are getting tired of the Prius and looking for something newer and better. The whole hybrid thing may be more of a California phenom especially with the carpool lane advantage.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SrfCity
I read a while back that H were backing off hybrid production. That may have been before gas really started to go through the roof. I think people are getting tired of the Prius and looking for something newer and better. The whole hybrid thing may be more of a California phenom especially with the carpool lane advantage.
I wouldn't say that the HCH is necessarily better especially when you look at MPG/FE. Personally I think the HCH looks better but there are certain things that the Prius has that I wish the HCH had, such as bluetooth for example.

I think the main reason why people are going towards the HCH is because they are looking for affordability and FE. Yes the HCH isn't as high as the prius in MPG/FE its more than good enough to make a difference for most people's wallets when it comes time to fill up at the local gas station.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by ElanC
The May figures from the manufacturers show that Honda sold 2890 Civic hybrids compared to 1895 in May last year. Toyota sold 8103 compared to 9461 last year.

The increase of 46% for the HCH could hint that they have ramped up production. Maybe the crashing sales of the Accord hybrid, down to 520 in May, allow them to produce more HCHs. Are they built at the same plant?

The drop for the Prius is puzzling because I'm sure they're selling as many as they can build. Productions delays? Is some capacity being sacrificed to the Camry hybrid?
I don't think it is too puzzling. With the new Civic Hybrid and Camry Hybrid, there are simply other appealing hybrid sedans available.

Old 06-01-2006, 02:45 PM

The 2006 HCH is alot better than the 2005, and people may be realizing that now. And it does look significantly better.

The Prius is indeed selling as quickly as it's being produced, but Toyota lowered production somewhat to divert resources to building Camry Hybrids, since they will no doubt be very popular. I love mine.

Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Prius down because production down-to build TCH

Toyota's explanation is that they had to decrease production of the Prius to increase production of the TCH. At first glance that doesn't make any sense because the Prius and the TCH don't share any components(other than the oil filter-maybe).At second glance, maybe it is correct.Maybe their battery or electric motor supplier can't ramp up production fast enough-too few employees, and they can only make so many batteries/month etc.
It is possible that the individual batteries(aren't there about 25 in the Prius) actually are the same for the Prius and the TCH.
I certainly wouldn't describe the HCH as better than the Prius. It costs less-at least $2000; I see that as a big plus.It also comes standard with side side curtain airbags, another HUGE plus.Toyota is CS to be selling a tiny $25000 car without standard side side curtain airbags.Instead they sell it with BS that will get you killed like computer and phone hookups, and they let their dealer put lots of useless BS on it to jack up the price(pinstripes,undercoating,scotchguard(nothing against SG, but it shouldn't cost $300).
. The Prius "beats" the HCH in acceleration,mpg, interior room. They are a wash more or less in "goodness per dollar".Luck,Charlie

Old 06-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SrfCity
<SNIP>The whole hybrid thing may be more of a California phenom especially with the carpool lane advantage.
New York is beginning to see that same phenomenon.

I know Used CHC I's, New CHC II's, New and Used Priuses (Priii?) and Used Insights '04 and earlier are flying off dealer lots here in New York for Long Island drivers for the LIE HOV privilege.

Further upstate New Yorkers who drive the New York State Thruway daily or regularly get severely discounted tolls with Green Pass. For those who aren't familiar with the NYS Thruway, it is the main NY artery that runs from Westchester in the south to Buffalo in the Northwest.

It's one of the few bills that Gov. Pataki and I ever agreed upon.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You get a lot of car for your money with the TCH and not so much with the Prius when you start getting into the packages etc. I do think though that the TCH will only generated so many sales at 30,000 OTD and will likely settle in around 27,500, placing downward pressure on the Prius pricing structure.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

With more options available, the number of Prius buyers naturally goes down. This is especially true when they do the research on what people are actually getting re: MPG. When I opted to buy my HCH2 I checked out the Prius and was very interested, but not for overpriced packages and a 4-6 month wait time (though I would have loved the more flexible space and hi-tech toys). The HCH2 was more readily available , was a better looking car IMO, and was getting close to the same MPG. Prius sales will probably continue to dip once the TCH begins selling like hotcakes. (Unless hybrid buyers will continue to be motivated by maximizing MPG.)

Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Buying a Honda is more of a personal thing for me. Honda's into bikes(I used to be too) and Toyota have this master plan to take over the world. Plus the Honda's are doing better in F1. Call me an H kinda guy.

Quick Reply: HCH sales up, Prius down

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands